StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

If anyone has any Permatex or Loctite questions please let me know. I have worked for Permatex for the past 11 years and I have done a lot of training on threadlockers, silicones, glues, epoxies, etc.

If I don't have the answer, I will try and find it for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First of all, thanks for offering the info.
Permatex anaerobic gasket maker #51813 Red, mentions an activator of some sort. Is it necessary for all applications or when exactly is it best to use it?
Bernie 05-DL-1K

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hey,
Just wondering if you have had a run of tubes with bad crimps?I was working on my sled today,and while kneading the tube to mix it, the end spring a leak on my red AND blue tubes of permatex?Never had it happen before...
thanks
Steve

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, thanks for offering the info.
Permatex anaerobic gasket maker #51813 Red, mentions an activator of some sort. Is it necessary for all applications or when exactly is it best to use it?
Bernie 05-DL-1K
Bernie,

The activator is used for either inactive metals or to speed up the curing time. Inactive metals are aluminum and stainless steel. The anaerobic gasket maker will cure with inactive metals but it will just take longer. Just make sure that the two surfaces are clean before applying the gasket maker.

I hope that answers your question.

Steve

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,
Just wondering if you have had a run of tubes with bad crimps?I was working on my sled today,and while kneading the tube to mix it, the end spring a leak on my red AND blue tubes of permatex?Never had it happen before...
thanks
Steve
Steve,

Can you let me know the part numbers of the tubes you are having trouble with? I haven't heard of this problem, but I will look into it for you.

Steve

·
Registered
78 Posts
Steve, good to know. I thought it might have something to do with how thick it was applied. You can't use to much because its to dam expensive anyway. :yikes:
I have used it for various app. and it always seems to have worked fine.
Thanks
Bernie 05-DL-1K

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer SLT. I have minimal experience with thread locker, and I wonder if the blue stuff will still hold adequately as you re-torque a fastener now and then.
Mountainmeterman,

If you are asking if you can re-torque a bolt with threadlocker on it, the answer is no.

A threadlocker cures to a thermal plastic. Once you "break it loose" the thermal plastic breaks.

If you are asking if you put threadlocker on a bolt and torque it will it hold, then yes it will.

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
How much does Loctite change the thread friction? If a fastener has a dry-thread torque spec, how much does Loctite (and I know there are multitudes of Loctites) change the spec to get the same bolt stretch/gasket compression?

Any thoughts on how much an antiseize changes the dry-thread torque spec?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much does Loctite change the thread friction? If a fastener has a dry-thread torque spec, how much does Loctite (and I know there are multitudes of Loctites) change the spec to get the same bolt stretch/gasket compression?

Any thoughts on how much an antiseize changes the dry-thread torque spec?
Using threadlocker doesn't change the torque spec on a bolt. So you can torque it to the same value.

Anti-seize on the other hand does. It is a lubricant. There are a lot of variables on how much it changes. Type of anti-seize, bolt diameter, what the bolt is made of. It can vary between 10% - 25%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts