StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 deer, first 2 cleared out nice on a hill crest, its the 3rd one behind the bush I did not see that almost got me.. ( I know, its always the one ya didn't see).locked up rear wheel while modulating front to keep it somewhat straight....buddy riding behind me said smoke was boiling off rear tire....got her cross up for a short stint, and was able to release rear brake fairly quick with out taking a high side as I had it sideways....then was able to get back on the rear all the while modulation front brake at a rapid pace... Only doing about 40 on one of those country blacktops without the yeller lines.

Interesting and got this old mans heart beating again.....damn I love excitement....Chnaged out the sun galsses very soon afterwards.

Floods wiped out a hell of a lot of shit, roads are missing, bridges....its like many of the country roads remind me of the first "Long way around", "Road of bones" in russia....no shit!
Hit one last night that we could n't pass, actually I think I could have made it with a spotter, as it was a goat path where the road wash out, combined with steep loose banks on both sides,one dropping 15' into the creek...I was temped to try it, but it was around 7 and the first six feet was 4" of mud...trail attacks suck in mud, and I told my bud who was on a modified DRZ4000, that I doubt we could get through the next 4 miles, so we more than likely have to backtrack....

I saw house in the mddle of the new creek beds, bridge railing gone, its friggin adventure in every direction....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Glad you were able to get it under control! My wife and I were almost hit by a cager the other day who decided, after sitting in the intersection waiting to turn left, that he would gas it real hard to the right just as we were turning right... Scared the crap outta me, he came inches from my front wheel. Boiled my blood- I pulled even with him and screamed a bit.

Anyway- you lived, the bike lived, and that's that. Did you flatspot the tire?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you were able to get it under control! My wife and I were almost hit by a cager the other day who decided, after sitting in the intersection waiting to turn left, that he would gas it real hard to the right just as we were turning right... Scared the crap outta me, he came inches from my front wheel. Boiled my blood- I pulled even with him and screamed a bit.

Anyway- you lived, the bike lived, and that's that. Did you flatspot the tire?
No flatspots, it was locked for a distance of less than 15'. As strange as it may sound, modulating heavy on the front brake seems to keep the bike pretty straight should ya inadvertently lock up the rear.
Seems there are more assholes on the road with little or no reguard for anyones safety but their own anymore

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'll definitely remember that, we locked our rear that night. Thanks for the tip!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Glad you kept the shiny side up.

Sounds like you could use a vacation.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't use the back brake much at all. I step on it at first settle the from suspension , then get off and its all front and modulate it if needed. I high sided in my teens and remember it as no fun. I figure when guys can do stoppies with just them the back is more dangerous in panic stops.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you don't practice emergency stops from 20-25mph enough to impress the technique into muscle memory and don't have ABS, it's probably better to not use the rear brake at all on pavement in an emergency. It won't shorten the stopping distance much if done properly but can easily lengthen it or even cause a high side if done improperly.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you don't practice emergency stops from 20-25mph enough to impress the technique into muscle memory and don't have ABS, it's probably better to not use the rear brake at all on pavement in an emergency. It won't shorten the stopping distance much if done properly but can easily lengthen it or even cause a high side if done improperly.
I agree. Even with practice it is pretty useless I think. Too many variables such as tires, road type and available traction. Even changing pads or bleeding make a difference and I doubt I could under stress pull it off. ABS is a must for myself. I suspect I will be shopping for another Strom with it, my other 2 bikes have or had it and I miss having it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've always considered the back brake as a tool for unloading the front suspension just prior to a twisty. It also works better in gravel or on snowy roads than the front brake. DAMHIK

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its the way I have always ridden, dirt and street ( although as an old dirt rider I think it has helped me on the street with the comfort of using it), either front brake, rear brake or both,they are just another tool on the machine, feet and inches can make a difference if I go home ( I puy a six piston differential bore up front on the fatty and a four piston in the rear,it took 50' off the stopping distance at 55 MPH). Thats just me though and I am comfortable with it, even two up.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
3 deer, first 2 cleared out nice on a hill crest, its the 3rd one behind the bush I did not see that almost got me.. ( I know, its always the one ya didn't see).locked up rear wheel while modulating front to keep it somewhat straight....buddy riding behind me said smoke was boiling off rear tire....got her cross up for a short stint, and was able to release rear brake fairly quick with out taking a high side as I had it sideways....then was able to get back on the rear all the while modulation front brake at a rapid pace... Only doing about 40 on one of those country blacktops without the yeller lines.

Interesting and got this old mans heart beating again.....damn I love excitement....Chnaged out the sun galsses very soon afterwards.
I had almost the exact same experience on the 650. 3 deer, 2 of which crossed early, 1 waited late.

It does indeed get the heart going, and sometime the bowels.

The flood damage up ya'lls way is terrible.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If you see deer, chances are very good there are more you don't see. Go slowly for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts