StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how this thread will go, but I'll start it. Just wondering what kind of options are going to be out there for squeezing some more HP out of the motor and upgrading the suspension etc.

I assume a Power Commander 5 will come out for the bike and I already see the Akrapovic exhaust it out for it. Then there are the shadetree mechanic mods too which I like the most! :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can spend a lot of money to squeeze out very little power. The suspension can be greatly improved though. Use the Google custom search box at the top of the page for Sasquatch, Intiminator, Race Tech, Elka, Sonic Springs, Progressive, and aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You can spend a lot of money to squeeze out very little power. The suspension can be greatly improved though. Use the Google custom search box at the top of the page for Sasquatch, Intiminator, Race Tech, Elka, Sonic Springs, Progressive, and aftermarket shock.
I would have to agree with the suspension part, Pat... However, the OP should at least take the Strom out and see if he really needs to upgrade anything... And yes, not everyone is fine with the Strom's suspension, but I am completely fine with my Wee's stock setup... The FZ6 is another story...:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I've heard others say that the Akri Exhaust swap will save you 13 lbs in weight.........that's like having a performance mod in itself. I think Blair has done an SV650 Cam swap in the vstrom which probably moved the HP to a different level in the RPM range......maybe added a HP or two, along with a re-map??? There is an electronic "gizmo" (not a Power Commander) that you can get for the DL1000 that plays with the power curve somewhat (tricks the bike into thinking it's in 6th gear (an ATE....ATR, or something like that......someone will chime in shortly), but not for the 650. Alot of the guys on the SV Forum would shim the front of their gas tanks to allow more fresh air into the air cleaner assembly.......ain't gonna happen on the strom tho (too much plastic).
Trying to mod the vstrom motor is like trying to hop-up a Massey-Ferguson......you can always improve "something", but at what cost $$$ per HP???

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really would have liked a 750 V strom, but alas I could throw money at it and have one. We'll see when I ride it a bit. Maybe my modding days are over and I'll enjoy it just like it is.

But, shedding 13 lbs with an aftermarket exhaust is an upgrade to me. I don't like the sewing machine sound and like to hear my bike.

I had an 2001 SV650S and it was a nice bike. I'd just like that bit of power if the Wee is so de tuned compared to it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We'll see when I ride it a bit. Maybe my modding days are over
Nope. Not a chance. Your modding days have just begun, just not in the way you seem to be used to. From here on in you will become one with the rubber on the road and soon find out that the fun is in the improvements in handling, protection, and comfort. These bikes take us to the edge of the Earth and back again and the best part is, we want to keep going from there. The adventure is is in where you can go, not how fast you can do it.

Read through some of the ride reports and then decide which one you want to do first. Eventually, you'll want to do them all. I promise.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:thumbup:

I like the way you think Fryman! I have rode a Triumph 800XC and I hate the triple whirring noise. I'm a V twin fan. The BMW 800 twin would be a sweet bike but out of my price range. So a KTM 990 SMT was my second choice. I'm a huge V twin fan. But $11k + is a bit out of my price range. Big Vstrom 1000 would be OK, but too heavy and poor fuel mileage is my excuse.

I like to work on my bikes just as much as riding them too! :yesnod:

On a related service note: how many are changing the oil and filter before the recommended 600 miles? I heard it's a good idea since there is a lot of manufacturing junk in the motor from the get go.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This thread is giving me "deja vu all over again" :dotdotdot: Makes me wonder if I've been here too long (or need a new bike).

·
Registered
82 Posts
First oil change

I also test rode the 800XC last November. I love the sound of the turbine triple. Not quite as crazy about the decel pop coming from the can.

A light bulb went off on my first ever strom ride yesterday.. now I understand the sewing machine motor comments.. I told my wife this is a "sweet gentle little bike" :yesnod:

I'm kicking around when I will do the first oil change. I've read all the motoman and calsci stuff.. I'm more then a bit skeptical that there will be so much debris that it will load the filter and go into bypass requiring oil changes so soon as suggested. I imagine going at least 400, probably 5 or 6. Whenever I do the first change, I'm seriously considering opening up the filter and putting the oil in a clear container to see what visual evidence of metal particles there is to see if there is any validity to early changes.

It's easy to be ambitious behind a keyboard though.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Reminds me of the old commercial...went something like..

Wow, I could have had a Vee-8. Just leave off the 8. But then you would not have a "sweet gentle little bike" anymore.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
I've heard others say that the Akra Exhaust swap will save you 13 lbs in weight.........that's like having a performance mod in itself. I think Blair has done an SV650 Cam swap in the vstrom which probably moved the HP to a different level in the RPM range......maybe added a HP or two, along with a re-map??? There is an electronic "gizmo" (not a Power Commander) that you can get for the DL1000 that plays with the power curve somewhat (tricks the bike into thinking it's in 6th gear (an ATE....ATR, or something like that......someone will chime in shortly), but not for the 650. Alot of the guys on the SV Forum would shim the front of their gas tanks to allow more fresh air into the air cleaner assembly.......ain't gonna happen on the strom tho (too much plastic).
Trying to mod the vstrom motor is like trying to hop-up a Massey-Ferguson......you can always improve "something", but at what cost $$$ per HP???

:) Hi Mark, The Cam Swap was good for about 4 HP and for anyone already doing valve shim, I would think that to be the time to do the cam swap,

At least then you combine the redundant work of the valve shim,

The Akrapovic is good for a little north of 13 lbs and adds a cleaner look with a decent power bump, I did a Power Commander when I did mine on my bike and was really able to smooth out the power curve, making the bike run very smooth all the way to the top. I have been sharing the maps I made with other members getting pipes and power commanders,

I have it on very good authority that the PC V for the 2012 will be released very soon and I will do up a 2012 map for our bikes as soon as I get one in my hands,

My goal was to see how smooth I could get my DL650 to run, End HP was of secondary concern, I find that if the bike is tuned to smooth steady curve at all throttle positions it is so much easier and more fun to ride,

Enjoy the ride everyone,

Best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
2 Posts
End of Mod Days

I have been on some type of motor for the past 40 years from my first 1970 Honda Trail 90 to my new Wee-strom. I have to say the Wee is the funest bike I have ever rode right off the showroom floor. Yes the suspension is lacking in preformance but the overall package is the most enjoyable thing I have ever rode. My last bike an 09 DRZ-400 was like sitting on a 2x4 and was like riding a tank in the dirt. After a year of mods and several thousand dollars in mods I traded it in on my Wee. The only mods I plan on doing to this ride will be for confort, protection and hauling luggage. Center stand, crash bars, skid plate, heated grips, Bark busters, GPS. Looking forward to the ride where ever it takes me :thumbup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree completely with all you who say that the Wee is a great package as it is in stock form. Some of us just can't leave anything alone, and mod just for the fun of seeing what can be done. Does it make sense from a dollars per horsepower standpoint? No. Not really.
When I started modding my 07, I specifically addressed everything I didn't like about the bike: Harsh front suspension that dives too much when braking, poor feel from the front brakes and not quite enough stopping power, the moped-like sound and ugly mechanical noises from the motor (in my case- cam chain tensioners. You should hear it with the manual tensioners!), and a lack of top end when passing at high speed. Your list could be different. We all want something different out of our bikes.
For me, the reason to do this was to perfect what I have found to be the most enjoyable all-around bike I've ever owned. What's a couple grand to right what I feel is wrong, when you look at the cost of a new bike and consider that you might end up with a great machine with another list of things you don't like? I've never yet owned a bike that is perfect in every way.
On the 2012, the cam swap might not be really beneficial, because Suzuki has already upped the horsepower. I could be wrong, but I suspect they have already changed the cam profile in the new models. Maybe somebody could confirm that. For my 07, it made a really nice improvement, and that "loses low end power" nonsense is really just that. It's at least as potent everywhere in the rev range, but noticeably better on top, which is perfect, in my opinion. That's the only place I really found it lacking. These twins sound sweet with a free-flowing exhaust. I'm loving the Akrapovic without the baffle installed. It will be too loud like that for some, but for me it hits all the right notes, and is nowhere near as loud as the American V-twins I see on the road everywhere.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Reminds me of the old commercial...went something like..

Wow, I could have had a Vee-8. Just leave off the 8. But then you would not have a "sweet gentle little bike" anymore.
and when that sweet gentle little bike smokes you in the twisties, you say Gee, I coulda had a Wee-8.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was looking around fleabay and found someone parting out a 2009 Gladius motor with 4300 miles. Woo Hoo! :hurray:

I bought all 4 cams for it and the two pistons with rings and wrist pins.

Got a great deal too, about 1/3 the price of OEM retail. He agreed to lower shipping costs by 50% for a package deal.

Let the modding begin this winter! I'll keep this thread updated with all the details of how the process goes.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts