StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am an FNG here, but glad to be. Let's jump in: I have a '16 Wee with a new K&N air filter and Akrapovic slip-on...noticed a little 'boggy' on acceleration from low end since new additions. Considering a Power Commander V. Any thoughts from anyone who knows??? Thanx!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you are looking for more performance your are going to be disappointed. There really isn't a lot to be gained on the DL650 from an exhaust and air filter. Sure you may gain a few more peak HP but at the sacrifice of what you are now experiencing. Bog or loss of HP in the ranges you use it most.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Might consider going down a tooth on the front sprocket or going up a few on the rear to help with the giddeup on the low end, but as PerazziMx14 eludes to, this really isn't a performance bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In your configuration, a PC5 will improve the overall engine operation but you should not expect a pure performance gain.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
"noticed a little 'boggy' on acceleration from low end since new additions."
As Homer Simpson says...Doh! It wasn't designed to work with other than what the factory gave you.

It's kinda like, "I just tuned up my bike and now it runs like sh-t"
We all wish we could find satisfaction in making changes. Best thing I've done to mine was paint it tan. Now it's safer from thieves.:wink2:

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's funny how it used to be that when you upgraded just about any motorcycle with a K&N air filter
and some sort of exhaust header, slip on ,straight pipe, or hack job the operator always thought
louder meant it was going faster. In fact is was probably going slower but more fun to hear that it was louder.
That cool factor made us think it was also faster. or Man it runs better now.

Most new motorcycles with fuel injection and a computer are already tweaked pretty good from the factory.
To meet the anti pollution control figures they must be really lean at idle. Upsetting these parameters
can cause the entire tune to be compromised. And then performance suffers. And these parts that were added
are not cheap, Then throw in the Power commander and you have $1000 tied up in stuff that maybe gets you
back to just a little better than stock. Don't fall victim to this trap.

·
Registered
545 Posts
As a side note I used to have a 2000 model SV 650 and it was not fuel injected. The carbs were very lean at low rpm
So much so that if the air filter in the air box was not properly sealed all the way around it would pop and sputter.
I finally got tired of that and pulled the carbs rejetted them with slightly bigger pilot jets and bumped the mains up to 44.
I also purchased the K&N air filter and the Delkevic slip on muffler. To say the least it was like a beast unleashed.
And it ran super good. Like a raped ape on steroids. For an SV 650 it was very fast. A guy bought it from me to
do tracks days on the weekends he was off.:laugh2:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I did a thread on performance mods with my 2012 650. Now it's a 677cc with JE pistons, Gladius cams, Bazzaz fuel controller, Akra slip on. DL1000 snorkel and intake boots.

It's not cheap either. It costs $$$ to go fast.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Very true, Engineers are paid big bucks to make these bikes run good when as lean as possible. I'm sure you probably have seen the size
of some of the air boxes on car engines. These can be huge. And it's all about the intake volume . Those large air boxes in effect can make
power at certain rpm usually down low to get the car going with decent acceleration. Now the market has gone into the TURBO factor.
Back in the mid 80's we had mid size turbo bikes. And the selling tag line was they had the power of a liter bike with the size and weight of a mid size.
Too bad they never ever quite caught on as a stock machine. Today Turbo's are big business. But not so much in the Motorcycle market as the car market.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good information from the guys. If you want more power get a more powerful bike. Don’t mess with what you have.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did a thread on performance mods with my 2012 650. Now it's a 677cc with JE pistons, Gladius cams, Bazzaz fuel controller, Akra slip on. DL1000 snorkel and intake boots.
I have a Gen2 Wee and thinking about a cam swap, what does the Gladius cams do for the performance? I use my bike as a street bike so I don't really need the low-end torque that the stock cams provide and would prefer some higher HP at the mid to high RPMs. I am not looking for a performance increase but just a shift in the power curve more suited to street use not off-roading. Would the Gladius or SV cams give me that?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
G cams have higher lift. More HP from the Gladius. 67 vs 62 if I remember. You can look around the internets for that info.

I haven't been to the dyno yet. That would tell you for sure. Checking the A/F ratio etc, custom map.

Taking donations though. :laugh2: Got enough into the parts already.

You can really spend some money and talk to JHS over the pond.

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/suzuki-sfv650-supertwin/

·
Registered
352 Posts
My car runs better after I wash it. So I will open the "K&N" of worms...
I have always been a skeptic of K&N. Their claim that more air gets into the engine is couterintuitive to me and the technical documents that fact check this claim all come to the same conclusion: You can't put more than 650 CCs of air into a 650 CC cylinder unless you compress it. Meaning Turbo or Supercharger systems. Which we don't have.
But like many hyped products, we seem to either experience some effect when none is present or expect some big change that never happens and are disappointed.
Reduced exhaust back pressure can have a measurable impact on engine performance. Airflow from filters that are not clogged is generally identical so does not impact performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts