StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a budget of ~$1000 to $1500, what performance and ride quality improvements would give me the most for the money on a 2004 V-storm 1000?
ECU, exhaust, air filter, fork springs??

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
We are all different but for me it was the seat, loved the seat on my Wee hated the V2 seat.

Next would be my Givi Airflow screen and I never thought I would say that until I tried one, they do work & work well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
In addition to what Willie wrote, fueling can be a problem on Vees. Careful attention to TPS settings and throttle body synching can help but some individual bikes really need something like a Power Commander to richen the lower rpm range a bit. If you do long distance touring, a seat change may be something to consider.

Changing the exhaust and air filter will probably make the lean fueling issue even worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm thinking of installing the Power Commander and have the bike dyno-tuned. Is this worth it with stock exhaust? I've done it in the past on a Z750 and it made a HUGE difference: so much more throttle response and flatter torque curve.

·
38,049 Posts
Having it dyno tuned is probably an unnecessary expense but plenty of riders are happier using a Power Commander. There are a number of posts here which involve working PC fuel maps.

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
Brakes and suspension, really good gear.......that is money well spent and the most bang for the buck. Get a sport bike as a second scoot if you want real world performance.......my 2 cents. ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you just bought an 04 dl1000, forget about "performance and ride quality"; you're going to want to assess the condition of the "reliability" parts: rotor magnets, stator, regulator, clutch basket, chain/sprockets, cush rubbers, tires. Replacing all of those will cost you nearly $1000...and you most likely *will* replace all of them sooner than later. Performance or ride quality gains will mean squat when you're stranded.

A volt meter, a speedo-healer, and the rear-wheel spacer would be maybe next on the list.

Then riding gear. Then suspension.

And then, as BigB says, a GSXR1000 for actual performance. :) (And of course all the reliability parts for that bike. And gear. And suspension. And motor work. And...and...)

·
Registered
259 Posts
With a budget of ~$1000 to $1500, what performance and ride quality improvements would give me the most for the money on a 2004 V-storm 1000?

Must Have!!

PCIII ubs:Dynojet Power Commander Products
Two Brothers Slip on's Look for used
K/N filter
Race Tec Springs Front & Rear: Race Tech Suspension
or Wilbers Shock or EPM Shock/springs, see Klaus: High Performance Motorcycle Suspension Sales and Service from EPM Performance Imports

·
Registered
32 Posts
Considering most folks aren't out riding the capabilities of any 1000cc motor out there I would start with making sure it's all in top working order then look into comfort items. Like Willie said: gear, suspension, windscreen, grips, seat,etc. If you want performance and noise that a PC and exhaust can give you, we'll you bought the wrong bike. I'd recommend a GSXR750 myself
2 cents given. Good luck

·
38,049 Posts
What's wrong with "noise"?
It's without a doubt the biggest reason for anti motorcycle laws and bad feelings about bikes in the general public.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greywolf, I said noise, not obnoxious noise. Please don't make assumptions. A cricket makes "noise".....but it isn't going to deafen anyone or generate "bad feelings"........If I choose to change the cans on my Strom to eliminate the lawn mower sound it doesn't mean I'm going to run open pipes or something without baffles.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
You said "noise". Noise is typically loud. Many aftermarket cans on a V STrom 1000, even with baffles, are considerably louder than stock. So it is reasonable to make the "assumption" that aftermarket usually means loud. I have run aftermarket pipes, as well as stock. Since I couldn't tell any real power difference, I went back to stock as I got tired of noise.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I second the suspension work. Were the forks ever serviced? Does the rear shock work properly?
These are important handling characteristics to ensure are working properly.
And the Vee needs plenty of help in that department compared to the newer models.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Greywolf, I said noise, not obnoxious noise. Please don't make assumptions. A cricket makes "noise".....but it isn't going to deafen anyone or generate "bad feelings"........If I choose to change the cans on my Strom to eliminate the lawn mower sound it doesn't mean I'm going to run open pipes or something without baffles.
Believe me, I have been searching for nirVEEna since the day I bought my 2012. I agree with you on the motor sound and have been keeping my eye out for a set of pipes that I would like. I want just enough rumble to let me know that i'm not riding a sewing machine.
Being that said, I had more important needs and wants from this bike which I have been working on, I just haven't gotten to the pipes yet. Above are some great suggestions for your year bike. However, it's your bike and your money. Some of the things that were important to me in order were the seat. You can't enjoy $hit if your a$$ is on fire. After that, better wind protection and body comfort (windscreen and gear). I had to add a PCV due to the poor factory ECU settings.
Now that I can ride comfortably I started on the personality of the bike. I don't know the condition of your bike but I have been thru one set of sprockets, chain and cush rubbers. Almost embarrassed to say how many tires. One valve adjustment. A clutch basket from Werks. The list goes on.
Right now I am as close to nirVEEna as I have ever been.
Just a note....Grey Wolf is a great resource and a wealth of knowledge if you need answers however he may not always tell you what you want to hear.

·
38,049 Posts
Begin rant.....

When somebody says they want noise beyond stock and refers to the stock sound as lawn mower or sewing machine, they are talking about louder. It isn't just quality. It's volume. It may not be anywhere near open pipes, but it is still louder. AMA Position on Excessive Motorcycle Noise Questions & Answers and recommended actions on vehicle sound, American Motorcyclist Association, recreation path system, linear National state park, develop process public input, adjacent landowner, state fe

Noise was the word used here, not sound.

If you are going to increase the volume level to the point you notice it, other people will notice it too. Also, since you are the one that will be near it for long periods, it will affect your hearing. All riders should wear ear plugs at highway speeds just to combat wind noise. Don't add exhaust noise to the problem. We all have plenty of things we want that we don't do out of respect to other people. Quieter is better for your life too.

If it is too loud, it's not because I'm too old. It's because I'm too smart and empathetic.

....end rant.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
it may help to tell us what you feel is lacking in the performance of the bike? do you want more power? better handling? better braking? Same for ride quality.. do you feel like you need more leg room? are you leaned over to much? buffeting issues?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm assuming you have a center stand, if not, number 1 priority. Then I'd go with a seat. Yes, I'll agree with the sewing machine sound coming from the exhaust (I've had TL-R 1000s with M4s in the past; glorious), and my Leo Vince slip-ons were cheap enough as well as coming in under German decibels allowed (pretty stringent and on the low side) with the baffle in. This should probably have the power commander as well. Then upgrade your forks. Brace, springs, etc.

Great bike overall and mods make it even more so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts