StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2016 wee on its first off pavement excursion today. Nothing serious, 6 miles of reasonably maintained dirt, lots of regular cars in the campground spaces and even a few travel trailers.
As for the tire ratings, 80/20, 90/10, etc., I wonder if this is not so much a percentage of street to dirt time, as it is a measurement of how effective the tire is on various surfaces. For example, if your favorite campground is 100 miles away, and it's 90 miles on the road with the last 10 miles on dirt, you are riding 90 percent of the time on pavement and only 10 % on dirt. But if that last 10 miles is sand, mud ,or deep loose dirt a 90/10 tire probably won't work too well.
Thoughts.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
90/10 good for street, sux in the dirt.
10/90 good for dirt, sux on the street.
50/50 meh everywhere.

In your case, I would rather have a good street tire and compromise on my tire choice for the last bit to the campground. Unless it is wet, anything will work. If it is wet, suck it up snowflake.

On these big ADV bikes, most want a nice ride to camp and are parked afterwards. If your idea is to be riding where you are camping, bike choice is more important than the tires.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So like the "good-fast-cheap" triangle, it's "street-dirt-performance", and you can have two but not all three. Seems reasonable, no free lunch.

·
Super Moderator
16,866 Posts
Here are two perfect examples of 50/50 tires, and both examples are quite good on and off tarmac. Second pic is comparison of an E07 and a Battlewing......big difference. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have 11,200 miles on a set of E-07’s. The rear needs to be replaced, the front has 40% tread remaining. Under 80mph, I have NEVER wished I had road tires back on. (Wet, dry, cold, gravel, mud, sand, clay ...). On dirt roads, rocky roads, hard clay with strewn gravel... they make the bike rideable. I was pretty uncomfortable off road on the stock tires - regardless of inflation.

+1 for the E-07’s for mostly road riding, with some off road.

I have a new set in the garage. I’ll do the rear this month, and the front before my next big trip. I’ll add pix later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ride 90% on nice roads, the road i live on is 10km of loose rock and mud, i have 50/50 tires for that part...

·
Registered
797 Posts
11,200 miles

Front 4mm at Center vs 7mm new.

Rear 1mm at Center vs 12mm new.

Better look at rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do a fair bit of dirt riding and I can say this, I would much rather ride good dirt tires on the street then good street tires in the dirt. there is no do everything tire. I have ridden knobbies on roads with DS and licensed dirtbikes for years.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Depends of your riding style.

I've never seen a hardcore trail to reach a camp site. Did you mean a KOA type of campground or something private, hours away from civilization?

Personally, Battlewings are the closest i'd go back to if i need a long lasting tire that performs a little off-road. I've tried K60s, just horrible and slippery tires on asphalt.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, my riding is all on road, with the occasional gravel or dirt parking lot at some roadside bar &grill. I was speculating on the meaning of the on/off road percentages, whether they are talking about the percentage of time you spend in each environment or the effectiveness of the tire on that surface.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually, my riding is all on road, with the occasional gravel or dirt parking lot at some roadside bar &grill. I was speculating on the meaning of the on/off road percentages, whether they are talking about the percentage of time you spend in each environment or the effectiveness of the tire on that surface.
the effectiveness of the tire on that surface

·
Registered
99 Posts
The %/% designation is more of an indication of the aggressiveness of the tire tread. If you were doing 50% tarmac and 50% hard packed gravel then a 90/10 would probably be fine, however if you were doing 90% tarmac and the other 10% was muddy and/or loose material then a more aggressive tire such as a 60/40 or 50/50 may be required.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the effectiveness of the tire on that surface
That's what I concluded also. Currently running Metzler tourance next, seems to be mostly a street tire with a deeper tread than purely street tires. Works excellent on pavement and good enough for a dirt or gravel parking lot, as long as it's not deep.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Doesn't sound like you need to sacrifice handling for off road abilities, then, imo.

Just slow down and be careful in gravel, that's what sport bikes do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts