StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm not sure if this is quite the right location for this but i just wanted to put it somewhere :mrgreen:

so after riding my bike virtually everyday for the last few month (since i bought it) i notice all the looks i get on it! and even better was yesterday...

i was running some errands, and as i was coming out of the store there was an "older" lady staring at my bike with her little grand-daughter and she said "is that your bike?" and of course i said yes, and she replied "well that's just the nicest neatest looking bike i've seen!"...

then just minutes later i was getting gas and i saw a guy staring at me as i pulled up, then he continued to stare as he pulled away, then he parked and started to approach me. he came up and said "man, that is just a cool looking bike!" and then he asked if he could look it over a little, so we just started talking about the bike, and he was asking all sorts of questions...so i may have just convinced someone else to buy this amazing bike!

anyways, i just wanted to say these two things...i love the attention i get, and of course just the bike over all :hurray:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
anyways, i just wanted to say these two things...i love the attention i get, and of course just the bike over all :hurray:
I used my wife's Harley to get a new mouse at the local Best Buy store.

As I was leaving, a rather attractive lady, apparently a few years younger than myself said, "Oh, that must be your beauuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful Harley!".

I nodded and said, "Thanks." I rode off, never bothering to tell her it was actually my wife's bike.

I get questions, but few comments about my 'Strom other than: "Hey is that the new BMW?" Alas, as my bike accumulates the patina of use, these queries seem to be falling off.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I get questions, but few comments about my 'Strom other than: "Hey is that the new BMW?" Alas, as my bike accumulates the patina of use, these queries seem to be falling off.
That's exactly what I get here. So now my Vee looks like this:

·
Registered
988 Posts
That patina that we all love is a real detriment at tradein time. Mine has the typical scratches & rash that we all savor, 22,000 miles & is mechanically perfect. But I was playing footsie with a dealer the other day and they told me they never put trade ins on the floor if they have more than 8000 miles. They qualified my bike as "rough" and offered me $3000. Good Gawd. Doesn't anybody really RIDE motorcycles other than us & the sport touring crowd? Looking at private party trade for an 06 Honda ST with 39,000. Thankfully, both the ST owner and I understand the durability of modern bikes from the Far East.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Oh, yeah. I forgot. One time at a gas station a lady asked me if my Vee was a Vespa. I sort of stared open mouthed, and she said "that guy over there told me to say that". That guy over there was folded over in laughter. Big joke. Ha Ha.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
They qualified my bike as "rough" and offered me $3000. Good Gawd. Doesn't anybody really RIDE motorcycles other than us & the sport touring crowd?
They must deal primarily in cruisers.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that when (no plans in the forseeable future) I'm ready to replace my 2007 with 56,000+ current miles, I would do better to disassemble it and E-Bay the parts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
beauty is obviously in the eye......... Looks were the biggest obstacle to getting the Wee. Last week at the local Suzuki dealership someone came up to me and said."that's the ugliest bike I have ever seen". I told him to get a closer look and see the 12 volt power outlet I installed before he pass judgement. He then admitted to also having a wee and he loved it , albeit not the looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lately

I have been asked by several people what kind of bike it is.

I removed all the tank stickers and so the only place it says Suzuki is on the engine.

I'm on a long trip at the moment and even other riders don't what it is.

Since I've had the bike, a few people have told me it's a beautiful bike. I never know how to respond to that.

I usually sputter and say, "Uh... Thanks".

Jibby.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Seems like every time I stop by the Kroger on my way home from work, to pick up some dinner de jour whatevers, the same teen who collects the carts always stops me and asks "How much does a bike like that go for? I like those kind of bikes"......Much like that movie 'Groundhog's Day', I answer him the same way, giving him the usual new vs. used vs. farkled answer.

And every time, I have the same conversation with him......over, and over, and over and over again - - it's eerily uncanny!

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Seems like every time I stop by the Kroger on my way home from work, to pick up some whatevers, the same teen who collects the carts always stops me and asks "How much does a bike like that go for? I like those kind of bikes"......Much like that movie 'Groundhog's Day', I answer him the same way, giving him the usual new vs. used vs. farkled answer.

And every time, I have the same conversation with him......over, and over, and over and over again - - it's eerily uncanny! Cart boy!

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
I stop at Tim Horton's on occasion. Several times there have been crusiers there. The cruiser riders tend to look at the cruisers, but often times non-bike people walking in and out of the Timmies will ask about my bike and ignore the cruisers altogether.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
My ex-girlfriend's father took me aside one time to confide that "Mathilda" had acute angina. To which I replied, "I really wouldn't know, sir, I haven't even seen her boobies."

·
Administrator
13,694 Posts
My ex-girlfriend's father took me aside one time to confide that "Mathilda" had acute angina. To which I replied, "I really wouldn't know, sir, I haven't even seen her boobies."
I have some pictures if you want them.

..Tom

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Not sure how the hell that fits this thread but I gotta say 'thanks' you made me laugh.

I think I need to move to a place where people appreciate Stroms. All I've ever heard is: 'What IS that?' or 'Do you LIKE it?' or from people who don't know it's mine: 'God, is that (ugly-weird-different-dorky)."

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I think I need to move to a place where people appreciate Stroms.
This would be the place. Or at least one of them.

The local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer, in the current economic climate, sells more 'Stroms than any other model. This includes Sportbikes, crusiers, dirt bikes and dual sports. They do sell more scooters, but we're talking motorcycles, right?

I can rattle off about a dozen owners within 20 miles of my house (we're talking pretty rural, too) who own 'Stroms, about half of whom are on this forum.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I quite often get people making comments about my Vee.. I have to agree that I don't understand how some people have so few miles on their bikes.. I was picking up some parts for me KLR earlier this week and when I came out of the dealer a guy was looking over my Vee rather seriously.. He asked if it was my bike? After saying yes and explaining a few add ons he said "thats mine over there". He had an 03 Yellow Vee with 4300 original miles that he just picked up.. Thats less than 500 miles a year!! Whats the point in owning a bike if thats all you're going to ride it.. The guy I was chatting with (who just bought it) was rather happy though, it was a beautiful bike and was just barely broke in.. Looks like I may another person to ride with occasionally..

I think they are becoming more popular daily though.. I was up to Yellowstone a few weeks ago and I swear there was a wee or vee every time I turned around.

A couple months ago I ran into another rider (on a GS though) in Southern Utah while getting fuel, who came up to me and we started talking. He was from Holland and was here spending a month riding around the West. He made a comment that made sense to me.. He said Adventure Touring bikes like my Strom or the GS he had rented (and put 8k on) was the perfect type bike for riders who really want to see the US.. He felt they were more appropriate here than in Europe.. For our forests, National Parks etc and rider comfort there's no comparison.. And from the number of AT bikes that Ive seen on the road the last couple years I think people are realizing it. Luckily the only person that has said out loud that my Vee was ugly was the salesman at the dealer when I bought it.. He told my wife its the ugliest bike on his floor..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and i think my wee is quite pretty :mrgreen:

i have heard interesting and funny looking, but not ugly yet...i'm sure with time someone will say it

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't think Ive ever thought it was even an "interesting" looking bike.. I have always liked the lines and overall looks..

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
if I didn't know better...

If I didn't know better, based on my last trip, I'd say that everyone rides Harleys. We recently took the bi-annual family vacation, pulling the 5th-wheel trailer from Las Vegas, NV to Glacier National Park, MT. I didn't get to ride but paid attention to every bike I saw. 95% of the bikes I saw were big V-twin cruisers, and 90% of those were Harleys. The rest is statistically insignificant.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that's about the only kind of bike anyone rode, ergo must be the best choice. To the credit of the riders I saw close-up, those in the park, they mostly looked like seasoned riders in for the long haul, lots of couples too. All of them in the park were of course doing the famous 'Going to the Sun Road'. We took the scenic by-ways through Idaho and Montana, and I would love to return on 2 wheels, even on a statistically insignificant V-Strom.

P.S. I used to get questions about the bike until I started wearing a florescent green hi-viz jacket. :yikes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts