StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, the riders posted up their ideas for "Penny Tech" great ideas for the Strom, on the cheap, easy, smart and useful side.

Here's one of mine:

The Strom is notorious for having NO tie downs, and no easy place to use for tie downs. I have two ideas.

First, go to Wal Mart and for a very few bucks, purchase, in the camping gear section, a heavy, woven fabric strap..the kind used for strapping sleeping bags to back packs etc. Get one about 4 ft long. Cut the strap into 12" lengths and
sew(be nice to your significant other and she/he may help you) the ends together to form a loop. These sell in catalogs for about $3-$6 each..
Then loop them around ANYPLACE on your bike and you have a superstrong,
soft, non scratching, completely movable tie down for bungees, other straps etc.

Second, to the hardware store, get a small nylon cable holder, the kind that screws into walls or desks to hold electric cables of different kinds. It's very
strong and cheap. Next, buy..hardware store too, a metal ring, again cheap...
that fits into the nylon cable holder.

Attach with a cable tie, as shown on the pics...Viola, another super strong, cheap tie down you can place almost anywhere on your bike that a cable tie
can be zipped onto.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone Else?

There are LOTS of great ideas for the Strom, anyone let's show our creatvity.

good riding everyone

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I still think my ignition switch rain cover, made from a cut-down 35mm film cannister, is a good one...but I'm kind of biased.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, go to Wal Mart and for a very few bucks, purchase, in the camping gear section, a heavy, woven fabric strap..the kind used for strapping sleeping bags to back packs etc. Get one about 4 ft long. Cut the strap into 12" lengths and
sew(be nice to your significant other and she/he may help you) the ends together to form a loop. These sell in catalogs for about $3-$6 each..
I carry 4 of these under my seat, just in case I ever have something go wrong and need to be trailered. I don't count on a tow truck driver to have them. Might work for other purposes too and you don't have to sew. :)

$4.45 per pair here.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/valkyrie/product.asp?pid=2753&ID=715268001

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
35 mm cannister

I did the 35 mm film cannister thing and it fit with a "snap" on my ignition..I also punched a hole in the side with a hot ice pick, ran a string through and tied it to my bike...always accessible, very cool idea,

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Sawguard, I gotta ask. Is the string color coded to the bike or cap ??? lol.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I used adhesive backed velcro for mine.

I did the 35 mm film cannister thing and it fit with a "snap" on my ignition..I also punched a hole in the side with a hot ice pick, ran a string through and tied it to my bike...always accessible, very cool idea,

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
color coded

not color coded, but a damn good idea....Black cannister, black cord..

silver bike, silver cord...hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I still think my ignition switch rain cover, made from a cut-down 35mm film cannister, is a good one...but I'm kind of biased.
They still make those things?

Not a bad hack. But I do have to ask, isn't the metal sleeve that slides over when you take the key out enough to keep the water out? I've had mine in a downpour outside and didn't have any problems.

Tige

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Yes Tige, they still make those things. Also, we must say it is a good idea cause Heavy does need some claim to fame besides Jennifer and his girlie bike. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Tige...........Heavy's claim to fame is he tricked a lovely woman into marrying him. Secondly, he has a girlie bike. I started the girlie bike thing( applies to Heavy only ) and my claim to fame is I forgot how, why or when. Duh...............my remembery is broken.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Tige...........Heavy's claim to fame is he tricked a lovely woman into marrying him. Secondly, he has a girlie bike. I started the girlie bike thing( applies to Heavy only ) and my claim to fame is I forgot how, why or when. Duh...............my remembery is broken.
This story SCREAMS for pics...

Since Water Warrior can't remeber, that means Heavy has to explain.

:D

Tige

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I have at least figured out how to use my digital camera, smart-ass. I haven't seen many brilliant ideas, or photos, coming out of Squamish lately. :-D

Yes Tige, they still make those things. Also, we must say it is a good idea cause Heavy does need some claim to fame besides Jennifer and his girlie bike. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I don't think the flap is as good as we would wish. It seems like there is potential for long term moisture/corrosion problems from washing and rain.

I figure, why not use one, its free and it certainly won't cause problems.

They still make those things?

Not a bad hack. But I do have to ask, isn't the metal sleeve that slides over when you take the key out enough to keep the water out? I've had mine in a downpour outside and didn't have any problems.

Tige

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What, you want me to explain how I married a beautiful, young woman?

Sorry, you're on your own for that one.

BTW WaterWarrior, thanks for insinuating that I'm some hideous, misshapen monstrosity.

This story SCREAMS for pics...

Since Water Warrior can't remeber, that means Heavy has to explain.

:D

Tige

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
BTW WaterWarrior, thanks for insinuating that I'm some hideous, misshapen monstrosity.
[/quote]

Ooh! This one's getting some legs. I'm gettin a seat. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts