StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story:
I've got a set of givi 460's which I love but are HUGE, and are blue on a silver strom. Even painted they aren't the look I want.
I really like the look of mermite boxes on the strom ,and even bought a pair at a military surplus store. I also picked up 2 30mm ammo boxes.
I wanted something small for day to day use, and maybe work on the mermites over the winter.
I made a cardboard template the size of the side of the box and leveled it and made some holes to match the givi racks. $20 for the boxes and 60 mins of work, with 15 just deciding where to put them.
They are 14"x14"x6" wide.
I'll shut up and post the pics already!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice job! I'm doing the same thing. I like the look way better also. Great minds think alike!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
What do they weigh? I was told they weigh 20 lbs each (and that's what CTD says). The Mermites are aluminum.

Last summer I thought about using some Zero Haliburton aluminum bags. They're light, strong, more aerodynamic, and come with o-ring seals and combination locks. Bought several used on eBay for around $50 each but they're only 7.5" wide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally, I'm trying to keep the Strom slender. 7.5" ain't bad. I'm gonna check out these mermites. The cans I'm looking at are top load, single hinge.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are heavy, about 20 lb each. I'm a big guy so the extra weight doesn't really matter to me. The weight is lower and noticeably different than just using a top case. These are fairly small compared to my givis, so they are on for my usual riding day trips. When I'm gone for longer it's a 10 minute job to put the givis back on. The buffeting seems better than the E460's I use.
They don't lock, I could easily weld on a hoop to use with a padlock, but I don't keep anything of value in there, if someone steals my water bottle I figure they need it more than I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts