StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really feeling the need to take a ride. From home in eastern PA, follow Rt 66 from Chicago out to Flagstaff. Then north to the Grand Canyon, down south to Ft Worth and New Orleans, then finishing up with a ride up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and of course The Dragon. I planned the route and loaded the V-Strom, then at the last minute my husband accepted my invitation and decided to come along. His long-range bike was out of commission, so he loaded his Sportster into his van and followed me. Which was great because now I had company from my best friend, and he carried most of the stuff that I would have loaded onto my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
Hola, Stephanie.
Sounds like a great ride. You did the exact opposite of a couple friends. She usually follows him in the car with all the stuff.
What is the vest you are wearing? I'm guess something like a Helite?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Hit-Air airbag vest. Another layer of "hot" when the temp's around 100 F, but I never ride without it.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
I know whatcha mean. I got the Helite jacket last year. I've got a lot of MC clothing, BMW, Aerostich, Bilt, etc already but the Air Bag jacket can't help if it's in the closet.
I've ridden in some hot stuff and survived thanks to wet vests.
One more bit of ATGATT to keep us safe. Cheers and happy road trips.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the really hot weather I was wearing two layers of Duluth Trading armachillo long-sleeve shirts under my mesh jacket. I would soak the sleeves and yokes in water, wiggle back into them, put on my gear and I was honestly cool and comfortable for a good hour and a half. But when the temp got up to about 105 according to the Vee's dash thermometer, it was so hot I got dizzy just stopping long enough to strip, soak the shirts, soak them, drink some water and gear up again. The shade under gas station canopies was a necessary survival tool!

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I remember slabbing back from NC last spring in 34 degree heat. First time I ever soaked a long sleeve and put it on under my Dakar mesh. Wonderful feeling... just wish it lasted longer than an hour before drying out. Need a slow drip bottle to keep them wet... hmmm... does that exist?

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
" Need a slow drip bottle to keep them wet... hmmm... does that exist?"
I had a mesh jacket but gave it away. With the new Helite jacket or my Darien stuff and the wet vest, i'd adjust the vent zippers for air flow that kept me comfortable but kept the vest from drying out too quickly. I have a second vest in a wet bag in the tank pannier so I can swap them out and recharge the depleted vest. Once in a while straightening out my arms in the wind blast would really cool things down. I found the mesh stuff flows too much air and one can get dehydrated more quickly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember slabbing back from NC last spring in 34 degree heat. First time I ever soaked a long sleeve and put it on under my Dakar mesh. Wonderful feeling... just wish it lasted longer than an hour before drying out. Need a slow drip bottle to keep them wet... hmmm... does that exist?
I thought about that! If you could attach a few plastic bags with little holes in them in front of and behind the shoulder armor, you could fill them with ice and it would trickle down slowly and probably last longer. My friend Chris, who's a bona fide LD rider, told me he stuffs a whole bag of ice into his Klim jacket, no mesh. But even he admits "it takes a lot of will power" to put on that heavy gear in southern heat. I just could not bring myself to put on my Klim jacket and Aerostitch pants in that heat. I would have fainted before I ever got a leg over the bike.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
" Need a slow drip bottle to keep them wet... hmmm... does that exist?"
I had a mesh jacket but gave it away. With the new Helite jacket or my Darien stuff and the wet vest, i'd adjust the vent zippers for air flow that kept me comfortable but kept the vest from drying out too quickly. I have a second vest in a wet bag in the tank pannier so I can swap them out and recharge the depleted vest. Once in a while straightening out my arms in the wind blast would really cool things down. I found the mesh stuff flows too much air and one can get dehydrated more quickly.
I think links to your gear mentioned is appropriate for us noobs :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I thought about that! If you could attach a few plastic bags with little holes in them in front of and behind the shoulder armor, you could fill them with ice and it would trickle down slowly and probably last longer. My friend Chris, who's a bona fide LD rider, told me he stuffs a whole bag of ice into his Klim jacket, no mesh. But even he admits "it takes a lot of will power" to put on that heavy gear in southern heat. I just could not bring myself to put on my Klim jacket and Aerostitch pants in that heat. I would have fainted before I ever got a leg over the bike.
Creative! Can't be that hard to come up with something effective. Heck, even a water bottle on your handle bars that you could squeeze/squirt water down the inside front and back of your jacket would solve it. Even add ice to that bottle.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
Links Stink!
https://www.aerostich.com/
https://helitemoto.com/
I just googled Aerostich and helite and Voila, results.
The wet vests I got on close out for pennies on the dollar at a BMW dealer and a Ducati dealer. the dry bag I got at Walmart, like 3 for 10 bucks. Various size.
Oh, the tank panniers are from Aerostich got off the for sale section on this site.
I'se gonna let go your hand now!:wink2:

·
Administrator
13,474 Posts
Not sure what a "Wet Vest" is but I have found a "Cooling Vest" to work incredibly well in hot temperatures. They need very little airflow to keep cool inside even at 100°f so I tend to have most vents of my Roadcrafter closed in hot temperatures when wearing the cooling vest.

I also found it very important to hydrate regularity in hot riding. Water isn't enough by itself, you really need the electrolytes as well.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Not sure what a "Wet Vest" is but I have found a "Cooling Vest" to work incredibly well in hot temperatures. They need very little airflow to keep cool inside even at 100°f so I tend to have most vents of my Roadcrafter closed in hot temperatures when wearing the cooling vest.

I also found it very important to hydrate regularity in hot riding. Water isn't enough by itself, you really need the electrolytes as well.

..Tom
What cooling vest do you use Tom?

Also, your new R3, is that the light or regular, and what version? Regular, Tactical, Stealth?

·
Administrator
13,474 Posts
What cooling vest do you use Tom?

Also, your new R3, is that the light or regular, and what version? Regular, Tactical, Stealth?
Regular R3. I do;t know what the name of the cooling vest but if I think if it I can see if the label has the name on it. I think I got it from GP bikes.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
VTom, I used the term Wet Vest because it makes sense to me, they ain't worth a hoot dry. Looking up Cooling Vest gives an entirely different product than does Wet Vest.
Your term is more accurate.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjgnfbYwpLlAhWH42QKHTtjBwsYABAUGgJwag&sig=AOD64_2hDoGRFP5B7KL2yByozJK-3CPVjA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiyz-_YwpLlAhVF7J4KHa2ECEMQ9aACCIUD&adurl=

An Ice Vest. That otta cool things off but less practical for cross country riding where the Cooling Vest is easily re hydrated..

·
Administrator
13,474 Posts
VTom, I used the term Wet Vest because it makes sense to me, they ain't worth a hoot dry. Looking up Cooling Vest gives an entirely different product than does Wet Vest.

An Ice Vest. That otta cool things off but less practical for cross country riding where the Cooling Vest is easily re hydrated..
I wasn't sure if it was something different that I didn't know about or if it qwas sometime like "pop" vs "Soda".

Back in 2011 I went for a ride and went through Death Valley. I had read somewhere (ADVrider?) about putting ice in the pockets of Roadcrafter Riding suits. Being s they are Goretex they would keep the water in. I just had my Roadcrafter Jacket up top and Draggin jeans for pants. At Furnace Creek I put a complete bag of ice in the pockets and off I went. My thermometer said 52°c / 126°f. and it was seriously hot but I stayed reasonably comfy. Asthe ice melted water from the lower pockets (which jsut have flaps to seal them) ran down to my crotch which was an unusual feeling given the heat. The first and only people I saw was a couple of German Tourists at "Scotty's Castle". I hopped off the bike and they gave me a funny look and left quickly. I didn't; realize the melted water from the lower pockets had left my pants totally soaked and it looked like I wet myself.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
Been there, done that. I used to mindlessly fill my helmet with water and then put it on. Drenched myself good. I found that really feels like crap after a while. Especially the wet head.
I will ask at the fast food places if I may fill my hydration bag with ice and water. That will stay cold and refreshing for quite a while in the desert West.
If you're going to soak your crotch, something like the Roadcrafter pants helps to mitigate the embarrassing witness mark. Then again you may give someone an interesting story to tell about the wild people seen in Death Valley.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjgnfbYwpLlAhWH42QKHTtjBwsYABAUGgJwag&sig=AOD64_2hDoGRFP5B7KL2yByozJK-3CPVjA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiyz-_YwpLlAhVF7J4KHa2ECEMQ9aACCIUD&adurl=

That would be something! Is this what you are referring to for a typical cooling vest?

https://www.amazon.ca/Ergodyne-Chill-Its-6665-Evaporative-Cooling/dp/B001D42P0K/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=FlexiFreeze+Ice+Vest&qid=1570744502&sr=8-2&th=1

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I wasn't sure if it was something different that I didn't know about or if it qwas sometime like "pop" vs "Soda".

Back in 2011 I went for a ride and went through Death Valley. I had read somewhere (ADVrider?) about putting ice in the pockets of Roadcrafter Riding suits. Being s they are Goretex they would keep the water in. I just had my Roadcrafter Jacket up top and Draggin jeans for pants. At Furnace Creek I put a complete bag of ice in the pockets and off I went. My thermometer said 52°c / 126°f. and it was seriously hot but I stayed reasonably comfy. Asthe ice melted water from the lower pockets (which jsut have flaps to seal them) ran down to my crotch which was an unusual feeling given the heat. The first and only people I saw was a couple of German Tourists at "Scotty's Castle". I hopped off the bike and they gave me a funny look and left quickly. I didn't; realize the melted water from the lower pockets had left my pants totally soaked and it looked like I wet myself.

..Tom
you gotta do what you gotta do LOL

I was thinking a platypus, filled with ice, strapped against your torso would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Cooling effect and hydration in one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts