StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully mounted pelican cases on pre k12 Suzuki luggage racks? I'm looking to buy a 2009 650 with original Suzuki racks and hard luggage. The luggage looks like crap but the racks seem OK. I have some pelicans I could put on. I know I could just cut and bolt, but I'd like to know if I could some how use the quick release system??

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can't help since I did away with the "quick-release" hardware. I bolted my Pelicans directly to the factory rack. I used 1/4" stainless bolts. A couple pieces of 1" aluminum flatstock inside the cases help spread the load.

I like the set-up and don't regret not using a quick release option.

·
Registered
508 Posts
photos please

Would you have photographs of the setup. I am considering the same setup.

Brian

I can't help since I did away with the "quick-release" hardware. I bolted my Pelicans directly to the factory rack. I used 1/4" stainless bolts. A couple pieces of 1" aluminum flatstock inside the cases help spread the load.

I like the set-up and don't regret not using a quick release option.

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
I did the same as Kbyte255 with the Sea Horse bags. Keeno, man.
They are only as wide as the handle bars so it ain't lane split problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I mounted my Pelicans to the factory rack using the quick release mounting kit from Twisted Throttle.
Had to move a few of the mounting studs but wasn't to big of a deal and I'm very happy with the setup.

Peter

·
Registered
15,517 Posts
Revrat, sorry, no pics. I just used the factory holes in the frame for the mounting hardware and used new 1/4 20 bolts from the store. There are big washers called fender washers that spread out the stress. I also mounted the bags so they are not at an angle. I like a flat perch for my coffee cup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even the factory cases are not great, what you can fit in Pelican cases? Thay are so narrow...
There are many different pelican cases. I don't remember what number mine are but I can fit everything I need for multi day camping in my two without a top box. I just like taking them off since they are side load and it's easier to get everything in and out if they are on the picnic table. They hold more then the Suzuki hard (hard is an exaggeration) bags.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks strompeter, that is helpful to know this mounting system can be made to work on the stock racks. Have you found the racks strong enough? I'm a little worried about the fact that there is no support going around the back of the bike to tie the two sides together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Currently no pics.

The set-up is very strong. You can lean on one side or the other and only get a tiny bit of flex.

The Pelicans don't have the capacity of some set ups but I also have a top box. I mounted the Pelicans high enough to make a level spot across the rear of the seat so tying things across the back is also very doable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought the bike :hurray::confused::thumbup: so I guess I will figure out how to mount the Pelicans sooner of later. Not sure yet when I will go pick it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts