StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 1000 Strom about two months ago and I am looking to get some bags. I have seen many different opinions here. I was advised to look at the Pelican cases, I like what I see. Who has them and what do you think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got my 1000 Strom about two months ago and I am looking to get some bags. I have seen many different opinions here. I was advised to look at the Pelican cases, I like what I see. Who has them and what do you think?

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
http://www.cariboucases.com/

I used a Krauser K-wing rack for mine, and I've seen SW Motech and Givi racks fitted with them. The caribou racks are pricey, but buying the cases there is a good deal. I paid $139 each. They're fitted with a lock, lid straps, and an internal retaining strap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I correct that you have bolted the Pelican cases to your Krauser rack? Does that mean you don't have a quick release mount? Does it work the same with the other racks you have mentioned?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Am I correct that you have bolted the Pelican cases to your Krauser rack? Does that mean you don't have a quick release mount? Does it work the same with the other racks you have mentioned?
I took the K-wing hardware off of my Krauser Skyline cases and bolted it to the Pelicans. For security, I have a couple of bolts going from inside the Pelicans into the K-wings. It takes a couple of minutes to take each case off the bike. I only use the cases when I'll be away for a couple of days or more.

Can't speak for the other racks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot, I have decided on the Pelican cases but I can't decide how I want to mount them. I found the 1550 cases for $85 each, I just need a mounting system. I like the Caribou mounts but they are expensive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot, I have decided on the Pelican cases but I can't decide how I want to mount them. I found the 1550 cases for $85 each, I just need a mounting system. I like the Caribou mounts but they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The SW Motech racks are made to be removed from the bike and you can get locking knobs for them. If I didn't already own the K-wing racks, I probably would have gone this way and bolted the business end of the Motechs right to the Pelicans.

$85 each is a good deal on the 1550's, but I don't regret paying the extra for the cases with straps and locks from Caribou.

Somewhere, I saw pictures of Pelican 1430 cases on a Vstrom. These open on the top and are pretty cool. Not sure, though I think they're a bit smaller than the 1550's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a 1550 case to be used as a top case. It should be in on MOnday and I will try to get pics up.

J

·
0 Posts
The SW Motech racks are made to be removed from the bike and you can get locking knobs for them. If I didn't already own the K-wing racks, I probably would have gone this way and bolted the business end of the Motechs right to the Pelicans.

$85 each is a good deal on the 1550's, but I don't regret paying the extra for the cases with straps and locks from Caribou.

Somewhere, I saw pictures of Pelican 1430 cases on a Vstrom. These open on the top and are pretty cool. Not sure, though I think they're a bit smaller than the 1550's.

I liked those too, I have always liked the toploaders. Forget about getting the pelicans from a bike shop. Try to shop around at a photo shop, this is where pelican originated, protecting photo gear. This image is from B&H phot in NYC. They may not be the cheapest ($103), but I have had good customer service in the past (Believe me, it means somthing to hear this when your dealing with New Yorkers). I think you could modify it to a givi mount.
They also have allot of Pelican accesories, gaskets, locks, padding etc...
I like the pockets on these...Here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=415721&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why not just use the GIVI racks? They bolt right on. Easiest to make them non-removable, but then again I really don't see the need for ever taking them off. Mine are permanently mounted, never have an issue, use a padlock for security and if you are really concerned about leaving stuff - just pack things into a thin bag inside the case, then just take the bag with you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got the 1430 top loaders as side cases and a 1500 as a top case on my Wee Strom and they work great. You won't find a price much better on Pelican than these guys: http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less...um=cpc&utm_content=brand&utm_campaign=pelican

I've bought several cases from them and they have great service. If you're near the San Diego CA area, just stop by their outlet in El Cajon to get the same prices and no shipping $$.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
This image is from B&H phot in NYC. They may not be the cheapest ($103), but I have had good customer service in the past
I've been buying pro audio gear from B&H for many years. They'e top notch and the website also tells you if they have inventory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts