StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after considering the many options for panniers available for the strom, Ive narrowed it down to Plastic hard cases or the Andy straps bags.

there seems to be a few options for plastic cases but I'm particularly interested in Give E21's or Pelican 1430's.

only suppliers for Pelicans I can find are online or not in my area, but want to have look/test capacity before I part with my hard earned.

Anyone with in reasonable riding distance to Newcastle using them, or know of a stockist, so I can have a gander ?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Wolfman stuff is supposed to be very good.

Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage

Available here through these guys.

https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/index.php?cPath=62&osCsid=0dbeac027d1028e3418706bdf50e43dc

Andy Strapz are popular too.

Product Details - Andy Strapz

I just swapped my big Givi panniers for a set of alloy Happy Trails boxes, I wanted the top load feature with the ability to strap extra stuff on top [also Belinda can get her feet seated properly on the pillion pegs, she couldn't do that with the big Givi's- the E21's probably would have been ok to give her room though but the alloys can have the extra stuff loaded on top].

I have a pair of RJays touring saddlebags but the straps need altering to fit across the Wee seat [not difficult to just use an extension belt looped through them as another option to extend the fit across the seat].
They are easy to strap to the Givi or Happy Trails pannier frames though so I haven't got around to getting them modified yet.

The RJays are cheap- $70 for the pair- so spending another $10-$20 to alter them is no biggie.

I think the soft bags are better for the off road stuff where you are more likely to drop the bike, the soft stuff gets scuffed but stays usable whereas the plastic stuff breaks more easily.
The alloys can have their issues when dropped too.

I'm going to make frames and use the RJays on the KLR and keep the alloys on the Wee for the longer road trips and weekends away with Belinda.

The smaller bags on the KLR will force me to take less crap with me when I go camping so that will help keep the bike lighter for the dirt stuff, so that's got to be a bonus for a poorly dirt skilled rider like me. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
only suppliers for Pelicans I can find are online or not in my area, but want to have look/test capacity before I part with my hard earned.

Anyone with in reasonable riding distance to Newcastle using them, or know of a stockist, so I can have a gander ?
Pelican cases are distributed in Australia by a company called Adeal you might want to contact them for local stockists.

If you are looking at Pelican there are also cheaper alternatives along the same lines. Bunnings have Craftsman brand boxes which are just as good at a fraction of the price although different stores have different sizes available so it's a bit of a lottery.

There is also a crowd somewhere near Geelong in Victoria who make an almost identical product.

CR Kennedy also import a brand called HPRC that look to be almost identical to Pelican.

In terms of capacity the Andy Strapz or Steel Pony soft bags are much more flexible and larger than the Givi E21 which are quite small and really only suited for overnight or a couple of days at most.

For versatility particularly for off road or rough road conditions the soft bags are a better option imo.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Pelican cases are distributed in Australia by a company called Adeal you might want to contact them for local stockists.

If you are looking at Pelican there are also cheaper alternatives along the same lines. Bunnings have Craftsman brand boxes which are just as good at a fraction of the price although different stores have different sizes available so it's a bit of a lottery.

There is also a crowd somewhere near Geelong in Victoria who make an almost identical product.

CR Kennedy also import a brand called HPRC that look to be almost identical to Pelican.

In terms of capacity the Andy Strapz or Steel Pony soft bags are much more flexible and larger than the Givi E21 which are quite small and really only suited for overnight or a couple of days at most.

For versatility particularly for off road or rough road conditions the soft bags are a better option imo.
I thought these were a good option for soft bags.
https://www.adventuremoto.com.au/pr...d=185&osCsid=0dbeac027d1028e3418706bdf50e43dc
A mid range price should give value for money.

If I end up with a Ten660 [ :confused: maybe]this is what I would be adding to the list of goodies for it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanx K1W1, some good info and leads to follow up :thumbup:

I quite like the Motodry "travellers I'm using atm, apart from the fact that the zippers are APITA to close. Size is pretty good for a few nights away
Moto National Accessories - SADDLE BAGS - TRAVELLER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts