StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a set of cases for the bike. Have any of you guys "improved' yours. Straps to hold your gear in or something to keep them from flopping open.
I'm looking for good ideas.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Added "Footman Loops" to my Pelican Topbox for straping stuff down to it. I know you are talking about sidecases, just thought I'd throw that in too. BTW, I have the Loops for sale if you want some.....:mrgreen: (and I'm a stone's throw away!!!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added "Footman Loops" to my Pelican Topbox for straping stuff down to it. I know you are talking about sidecases, just thought I'd throw that in too. BTW, I have the Loops for sale if you want some.....:mrgreen: (and I'm a stone's throw away!!!)
Got the Moose Expedition mounts so lots of places to strap down.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I put nylon straps between the lid and the case so the lids wouldn't just flop open when I opened them on the bike. That also makes them serviceable as a makeshift table when you're camping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a sticker or two from everywhere I've taken the case! My father was a photographer who would always cover his pelican cases with stickers from the many places work took him. I've now taken over with both my own camera case and panniers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What type of mount will the Pelican side cases mount to ? Is there an adapter made that would allow me to use them with my givi side case mounts? as for as the top case what mount is used for that ?I hope to see everyone on May 15-18 in Robbinsville , NC for the 2014 Gathering of the riders of the STROM !!

·
Registered
75 Posts
What type of mount will the Pelican side cases mount to ? Is there an adapter made that would allow me to use them with my givi side case mounts? as for as the top case what mount is used for that ?I hope to see everyone on May 15-18 in Robbinsville , NC for the 2014 Gathering of the riders of the STROM !!
Twisted Throttle and Caribou Cases both sell mounting kits for the Givi racks. I think you can also use Happy Trail mounts for the sidecases.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the Moose Expedition racks. They come with a quick release setup.
Motorcycle Super Store + B&H Camera = $580 for the setup. Cheapest setup I could figure.
AACB Blacksmith conference next weekend so I gonna miss y'all. Bummer since it is so close. :furious:

·
Registered
69 Posts
pelican cases

I mounted mine on to happy trails racks
but mounted them with the tops to the racks.
i drilled some extra holes in the racks and use some aluminum flat bar inside the case to hold it better.
i put the larger side on the outside, so the big part opens and your stuff doesn't fall out allover the place
I used some cord from blinds (very strong) and loops to hold them open.

eagle creek single/ double cubes fit exactly into the case.

also put a tool tube on the end of one case

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Happy Trails sells "pucks" for $5 each, you can buy 8 of them and use them to secure the bags to your Givi rack, though you will have to remove the two lower nubs on each rack and the duckbill on each rack. The puck you need is for 5/8" racks (0.625"):

http://www.happy-trail.com/Puck-Kit/puck-only-by-the-each.aspx

Caribou Luggage makes a kit ($180-220) to use the existing Givi nubs and duckbill, but it does not work with 2012+ 650s due to interference with the grab handles on the luggage rack on the left side:

http://cariboucases.com/Do-It-Yours...-Givi-Monokey-Luggage-Racks-Standard-Kit.html

Caribou also sells components of that kit separately, though you have to email Roger at Caribou and ask for the parts as they are not listed by themselves. Specifically, these would be "lower cleats" ($7 ea) which allow you to use the lower nubs on the Givi rack. You would still need to remove the duckbill and find a way to mount the top of the case to the rack. The HT pucks described above would be a good way to do that and still allow the bag to come off relatively quickly. You'd need two pucks per bag and two lower cleats per bag:

I use a cloth grocery bag in each saddlebag to ease loading / unloading.

Here's some photos of mounting Pelicans to Givi racks using the Caribou lower cleats and some custom made upper pucks (my bike):

http://www.stromtrooper.com/2233633-post804.html

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Happy Trails sells "pucks" for $5 each, you can buy 8 of them and use them to secure the bags to your Givi rack, though you will have to remove the two lower nubs on each rack and the duckbill on each rack. The puck you need is for 5/8" racks (0.625"):

Happy-Trails Pannier Mount Puck Only - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers

Caribou Luggage makes a kit ($180-220) to use the existing Givi nubs and duckbill, but it does not work with 2012+ 650s due to interference with the grab handles on the luggage rack on the left side:

DIY Side Case Mount Kit for Givi Monokey Side Luggage Racks

Caribou also sells components of that kit separately, though you have to email Roger at Caribou and ask for the parts as they are not listed by themselves. Specifically, these would be "lower cleats" ($7 ea) which allow you to use the lower nubs on the Givi rack. You would still need to remove the duckbill and find a way to mount the top of the case to the rack. The HT pucks described above would be a good way to do that and still allow the bag to come off relatively quickly. You'd need two pucks per bag and two lower cleats per bag:

I use a cloth grocery bag in each saddlebag to ease loading / unloading.

Here's some photos of mounting Pelicans to Givi racks using the Caribou lower cleats and some custom made upper pucks (my bike):

http://www.stromtrooper.com/2233633-post804.html
I wish I had known the Caribou guy sold the lower cleats when I was installing my cases. I ended up fabricating something similar that worked, but not as nice and for my time, I would have gladly spent $7. On top, I put clevis pins through the two holes where the Givi "duckbill" bolts on. Pull the safety pins from the inside and off come the cases.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I mounted mine on to happy trails racks
but mounted them with the tops to the racks.
i drilled some extra holes in the racks and use some aluminum flat bar inside the case to hold it better.
i put the larger side on the outside, so the big part opens and your stuff doesn't fall out allover the place
I used some cord from blinds (very strong) and loops to hold them open.

eagle creek single/ double cubes fit exactly into the case.

also put a tool tube on the end of one case
How did you attach the cords to the lid and the case? I need to mount some on my seahorse cases but I don't want to drill anymore holes in the case.
Has anyone used anything like the 3m hooks that sticks to the wall?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fishing leader barrels crimped around weed wacker line. Thumb nuts from McMaster-Carr as anchor points inside the cases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts