StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those using Pelican boxes as your side-cases, have you noticed that your boxes get sweaty inside near the metal screws?

I know Houston is more humid than most of the country, but I sprayed the thing down with a hose and it didn't get wet, but if I open it up in the morning theres dew and some droplets settled in the bottom corner from the metal screws.

I covered them completely w/ silicon to no avail. Any ideas, or should I just try to insulate them even better, and if so w/ what?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Both sides or just the exhaust side?
How about some of those dehumidifier packets?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Humidity

Humid air trapped inside the air-tight boxes will probably condense as the night temps drop, especially around the metal screws which should be colder than the plastic.

I'm no scientist. Heck, I don't even have pelicans, but that'd be my guess.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Humid air trapped inside the air-tight boxes will probably condense as the night temps drop, especially around the metal screws which should be colder than the plastic.

I'm no scientist. Heck, I don't even have pelicans, but that'd be my guess.
Yuppers, that would be the reason. It's condensation, forming from within, not moisture getting in from outside.... Well, *technically* it come in with the air you close in it, which, of course, came from outside, but..... What was the question again??

Oh! Right humidity... Yeah, it's just humidity condensing inside the box. Dessicants will help, but only until they become saturated too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to say that I have never noticed my Pelicans forming any condensation inside of them. And I live in a very humid climate (Maryland).

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have pelicans and have never noticed any moisture from condensation or other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd have to say no on the condensation. I've got 1550's on mine and have never had it. I live in Looosyana. Hot, humid, wet.

We've used Pelicans on our equipment here for years to carry EMS supplies, drugs, bandages, etc. Never had condensation or moisture issues that I can remember.

I'd check the gaskets good, maybe use a light coat of PJ, (petroleum jelly, not Peanut Butter and Jelly) on the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'd have to say no on the condensation. I've got 1550's on mine and have never had it. I live in Looosyana. Hot, humid, wet.

We've used Pelicans on our equipment here for years to carry EMS supplies, drugs, bandages, etc. Never had condensation or moisture issues that I can remember.

I'd check the gaskets good, maybe use a light coat of PJ, (petroleum jelly, not Peanut Butter and Jelly) on the gaskets.
Take an empty pelican box, seal it at 95 degrees with 100% humidity, then drop the outside temp to 50. I guarantee the moisture is going to condense on the inside of the case. It's the exact same thing that occurs when you take your 50 degree glass of water outside on a 95 degree/100% humidity day (just turned inside-out): Condensation.

Where else could that moisture be coming from but the air?? If there's nothing in the box when you close it up, there's nothing to absorb the moisture. In a medical kit, or if there's gear in it, the *stuff* can absorb some of that excess moisture when the temp drops below the dew-point. If the box is empty, or the *stuff* can't absorb the moisture, it condenses. It's just the way it works.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have some Kinetics cases (very similar to Pelican/Caribou), but they were military cases and have a pressure release cap, if you unscrew it on a hot day it keeps the interior from building condensation.

Dunno if other cases have these, but it's easy enough to fab up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have seen condensation in mine before, only happens with certain humidity conditions AND empty case, never seen condensation on my right side bag that is always 1/2-3/4 full with stuff I always carry
Precisely. If the container is full or partly full, then there is less air, less moisture content and more chance of absorption (depending on the materials contained). Therefor, don't worry about it. If you've got stuff in there that needs to stay dry, it will. If it bothers you, maybe throw a towel in the case when it's empty. I like to keep a rag on hand for dewy seat and gauges in the morning and for bugs after the ride anyhow.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Joe. I have Pelicans too and have often wondered about the moisture I sometimes see inside first thing in the morning............ Now I know!!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Insulate the bolts and washers....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Insulate the bolts and washers....
Yeah, thought of that in the OP, just wasn't sure of the best way. They were already silicon sealed pretty heavily, so I just put some foam over em, and duct taped the hell out of it!

I did it that same day, but didn't want to post until I was 110% positive this resolved the issue. It did! Either the case wasn't as 100% airtight as I thought and is now, or the insulation did the trick, but... perfection. :D

I know, it looks ghetto, but you can't see these parts when mounted on the bike:

^just a hockey puck cut in half and cut to form a scoop/latch onto the bottom rack.

^ W/ the shadow it looks like the bolts protrude into the case far, they don't, its an optical illusion. The top bolt is just a handscrew w/ a wingnut on the other side. Gigantic washers are underneath that poop. If the cases are locked, you can't remove the case from the rack (without a crowbar heh). It also cost about two bucks since I had washers/goop in the garage, heh! Downside is you have to open the case to mount them on the rack.

Setup is narrow (36.1" wide) and cheap (on sale can find the cases for $80), and now that it no longer "sweats", I can recommend it as penny-tech cases. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts