StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man, I know it has been a few years since high school science, but I thought I remembered how to calculate the volume of an object by converting from CC's to liters (1000 cc = 1L right?) Pelican cases are easily measured since they are rectangular.

I have been reading that the 1550 case is around 35L in capacity. When you take specs on the Pelican website 46.8cm x 35.5cm x 19.3cm, you get 32065.02 cc which would equal right around 32L. Am I missing something here?

The only thing I noticed was that on other sites that sell Pelican, such as caseclub, they list the interior dimensions in SAE units (18.94" x 14.44" x 7.75"). When you multiply each figure by 2.54 to get centimeters and then calculate the volume, it comes out to 34.7L which is close enough to 35L for me to be satisfied that they could be advertised at 35L.

If it seems I just answered my own question, then I must ask why would Pelican's own website have inaccurate numbers? I would love to know the true numbers.

I threw in the 1520 as well since I am now considering those cases instead of the 1550 due to the slightly more svelte size. There is less of a discrepancy between what my volume calculation is for Pelican's specs vs. other sites' specs (25.2L vs 25.7L), but since I am doubting my own ability to make simple calculations, I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

I really just need to know if the 1550s really are 35L. I am thinking if they are actually 32L, the 1520s might be the way I want to go since the actually difference would be smaller. Better yet, SKB makes a nice case that is around 27.5L which might just be the ticket as well. I sure love the idea oh having 35L per case capacity for when I go on trips. I don't plan on running the cases on the bike full-time anyway, so I probably shouldn't worry too much that they might look a little big.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I have the 1550s, and they seemed big when I first installed them, but I quickly got used to them. I think I would get frustrated with the 1520's smaller capacity. You're already somewhat limited in the size of things you can fit in there by the rectangular shape (as opposed to rounded Givi cases). Nonetheless, the Pelican 1550 + Givi rack combo is the narrowest I've found that still lets you carry a fair amount of stuff.

My rough measurement of the inside yields 2067 cubic inches, which is just shy of 34 liters.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much. I think it is going to be most helpful to see a set of these in person so I can visualize how much I could fit in one. Somebody in my neighborhood has a Wee with 1550s and I am hoping to get a closer look at those.

I find it interesting that you think the rounded cases like a Givi would be easier to pack. I always felt that the stock side cases on my FJR were weird to put stuff in. I figured a box shape would be the most efficient use of space.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You're already somewhat limited in the size of things you can fit in there by the rectangular shape (as opposed to rounded Givi cases). Nonetheless, the Pelican 1550 + Givi rack combo is the narrowest I've found that still lets you carry a fair amount of stuff.
I have a set of 1550's on my bike right now. I actually think you can ultimately pack MORE stuff because of the rectangular shape. First, you can pack things that are longer (lay them diagonally). Second, think of Tetris. Clever arrangement makes the most efficient use of space. Third, your bike will be less wide, due to the concave shape of Givi cases.

I plan on getting a Givi topcase for 2 helmets & misc gear and keeping the 1550's for daily storage. The only drawback I see is that, because they open like a suit case, you've got to remove them to pack most efficiently (otherwise, gravity wins).

I always thought these would be best

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/Aluminum-Pannier-Kit---Suzuki-V-Strom---Denali__PANKIT-VSTROM-Denali.aspx

They're tall but narrow and carry 45 liters AND load from the top!

Or you could just buy my side cases and I'll get the Denali's :) Interested?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Thank you very much. I think it is going to be most helpful to see a set of these in person so I can visualize how much I could fit in one. Somebody in my neighborhood has a Wee with 1550s and I am hoping to get a closer look at those.
You don't happen to live in south central Austin, do you? Granted, Austin is pretty big now, but the only other bike with pelicans (besides mine) I've seen in town is a KLR.

Keep_it_on_the_DL said:
I find it interesting that you think the rounded cases like a Givi would be easier to pack. I always felt that the stock side cases on my FJR were weird to put stuff in. I figured a box shape would be the most efficient use of space.
OompaLoompa said:
I have a set of 1550's on my bike right now. I actually think you can ultimately pack MORE stuff because of the rectangular shape. First, you can pack things that are longer (lay them diagonally). Second, think of Tetris. Clever arrangement makes the most efficient use of space. Third, your bike will be less wide, due to the concave shape of Givi cases.
I think I must not have phrased it well. I meant the relatively flat rectangular shape of the Pelicans limits the size of individual objects you can put in them. Yes, you can carry longer items, and yes, the bike is narrower (part of the reason I chose the Pelicans in the first place). But a lot of the Givi cases, and probably your FJR cases, will hold a helmet, but no way could you fit one in a 1550.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Pflugerville actually. The person who lives in my neighborhood is a Strom Trooper, so I sent him a PM to see if he minded me coming over to check out his bike. That would be the most convenient way for me to see these.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
1 cubic inch = 0.016387064 liters according to google

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everybody's help. I finally got to compare a 1520 and 1550 side-by-side today. It is so much better to see them with your eyes and get an idea of what can be put into them.

I went to the camera shop to buy a part for my SLR and as I was walking out the door it dawned on me that they might have Pelican cases. I turned around, saw all the camera bags and there they were in a nice little display. The 1520 is a nice little case, but that is exactly what it is, little. I think the 1550 is going to be ideal.

Case closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts