StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished mounting my SW Motech quick release racks and Pelican Cases. The whole deal costs a little over $300: $199 for the Motech Racks, $30 for two Motech lock knobs, $104 for two Pelican 1430 cases, and about $20 for some good stainless mounting hardware. I already had the Pelican 1500 topcase from a prior project. The 1430 side cases mount to the rack frames using four existing holes. I used large stainless fender washers, rubber washers, and stainless nylock nuts and bolts.

I'm very happy with the quality of the whole thing. The racks are very sturdy and can be removed in about 30 seconds. The 1430's are on the small side, but perfect for my comutting needs. The rear width with the side cases comes in at a manageable 38 inches; not much wider than the bars. For safety, I added a bit of red SOLAS tape on the rear and white for the side cases. I really like the industrial look and durability of the Pelicans.

Rear view:

Side View:

Front View:

Interior of 1430 sidecase:

Interior of 1500 topcase. Two large bolts are the rear rack mount bolts (longer) and one small bolt at rear uses existing hole in factory rack:

View of how 1430 is mounted to SW Motech Frame:

:lol:

[/img]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice setup, and you can't beat it for $300 bucks! I'd like to buy some side bags and top case for my bike but until now I've been thinking the price of these things would cause me to have to miss a mortgage payment to afford!

Interesting look at the bolts used in the top case. I just installed a large tank bag there (didn't want it on the tank), and I had to cut out the rubber thing that comes on the bike and then use the 4 holes below to attach the removable lower peice of the bag to the rack, so I can remove it when needed.

Do most top cases or saddle bags use the bolts you used, or do they use the other 4 holes (under the rubber piece) that I used?

·
Registered
369 Posts
WOW! That looks really good!
I really do like the "industrial" look as you put it. Wish I knew about these cases before I got my V46 top case. I dont think the bike would look very good with the mix of Pelicans side and Givi top cases.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MATTMAN said:
Looks good. If only those case were a little bigger; I need something big enough to carry my stupid laptop.

I just heard that Pelican is coming out with some larger top loaders in the next month or so: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121266 The only issue is that the larger one's will have integrated wheels and a tow handle.

My 1500 topcase carry's my laptop on my daily commute. I use a Lands End rigger bag softcase and the 1500 will hold that bag with my Thinkpad T40, portfolio, PDA, etc.. The rigger bag fills the entire 1500.

·
Registered
63 Posts
csr
Nice job. I was going to do the Pelican thing too but I came across 2 audio visual lock boxes (aluminum siding and wood panels) Ill get some pictures later. What interested me about your set up was the pics and the instalation setup with the racks.
Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Any chance of some more pic's, say a clearer shot of the back and the right hand side. They look like just what I'm wanting. I dont like the width of most panniers out there, end up with a bike as wide as a truck and the Givi E 21 are too small, your's looks like a nice compromise.
What is the width across your bike with them on?
Regards

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aussie Stromer 1039 said:
Any chance of some more pic's, say a clearer shot of the back and the right hand side. They look like just what I'm wanting. I dont like the width of most panniers out there, end up with a bike as wide as a truck and the Givi E 21 are too small, your's looks like a nice compromise.
What is the width across your bike with them on?
Regards
I too was close to buying the Givi E21's, but I like the look of the Pelicans much better. The 1430's are not huge, here's the spec's. from Pelican:
Inside Dimensions (L,W,D):
6-9/16 x 9.6 x 13.4
Outside Dimensions (L,W,D):
13.6 x 5.8 x 11.7

But the size is perfect for what I needed. Great for carrying that lunchbox, extra work files, errands, etc.. The total width across the back is 38". Here's the additional shots you asked for:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great pics, again!! I received my 1430's on Friday and just need some warmer weather, (and about a foot of snow too melt), so I can get the bike out and these suckers mounted.

CSR - Have you thought about mounting a tube or other canister beneath the 1430's on the bottom portion of the rack?

Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgefan said:
Great pics, again!! I received my 1430's on Friday and just need some warmer weather, (and about a foot of snow too melt), so I can get the bike out and these suckers mounted.

CSR - Have you thought about mounting a tube or other canister beneath the 1430's on the bottom portion of the rack?

Thanks for the inspiration.
I thought about mounting a canister on the left side where the large gap is between the case and bike (no dual exhaust). I saw another pelican set-up where they bolt a small lunch box sized Pelican in this wasted space to use as a toolbox. Then you could simple remove the quick release rack when accessing tool box that was bolted onto the inside. The other option I thought of was buidling the a PVC tube like others have done.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks csr67 , they look spot on and I can actually get them over here, they rip us off as usual $134 US per case, I saw them on US sites for $69 each case but even at $134 there better value than any other options over here

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aussie Stromer 1039 said:
Thanks csr67 , they look spot on and I can actually get them over here, they rip us off as usual $134 US per case, I saw them on US sites for $69 each case but even at $134 there better value than any other options over here
$134 US per case!!!!, I can get them from all-pelican-cases-4-less for $52.50 US. Check their site, they do international shipping via UPS:
http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/order_info.html

Even with a hefty shipping charge, you should be able to get two 1430's for what one would cost down under.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I guess pic's are misleading, :shock: I was sure your cases looked larger than Givi E21 but doing the sums has them adding up to only 17.3 litrer's each, bugger :? , guess it will have to be the Givi which is a disopointment, they seem very flimsy,not solid like all there larger cases. The Pelican would be much more robust for the same price but just too small :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts