Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wee is the largest, heaviest motorcycle I have owned. Mine came fairly fully farkled, including SW Motech side racks and Pelican 1550 cases. I like the protection the cases provide, but man, it makes a wide load.

At least until I get used to it, I'm considering using Pelican 1490s or 1495s as side bags. I think I would be more comfortable with a more streamlined setup.

I'm thinking maybe the 1490s. The rear would be about 32" wide with those, about 7" narrower than the 1550s.

Anybody have any thoughts about this setup?

Relevant specs:
Pelican 1490 OD: 19.9" x 13.9" x 4.7"
Pelican 1495 OD: 21.6" x 17.2" x 4.9"
Pelican 1500 OD: 18.5" x 14.1" x 6.9"
Pelican 1520 OD: 19.8" x 15.8" x 7.4"
Pelican 1550 OD: 20.6" x 16.9" x 8.1"

By the way, I've read posts that say the pre-EVO Motech racks are symmetrical (stick out the same on each side). Mine, at least, aren't. There's a 1" difference between left and right, measured at the back top and bottom. I also found the spec for the width of the EVO, and it was 3/4"-1" narrower than the ones I have. Not enough difference to lust after.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Sure the would be more narrow that a setup using the 1550's, but with an interior width of 4.12", what could you actually put in there? For comparison the 1550 is 7.62", interior width.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Sure the would be more narrow that a setup using the 1550's, but with an interior width of 4.12", what could you actually put in there? For comparison the 1550 is 7.62", interior width.
+1 on that. I guess it would be great for a laptop and some other small personal items, but I don't think it would offer enough capacity or functionality for most riders.

Maybe you should consider a top case paired with something like the Wolfman beta rear bag or some other duffle-type bag and eliminate the side cases altogether.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 on that. I guess it would be great for a laptop and some other small personal items, but I don't think it would offer enough capacity or functionality for most riders.

Maybe you should consider a top case paired with something like the Wolfman beta rear bag or some other duffle-type bag and eliminate the side cases altogether.
Then I completely lose the side protection, and all the weight goes up high. When I realized how uncomfortable I was, I started defarkling, starting at the top. I have 55 lbs of stuff off the bike, mostly in 1 gallon ziplock bags, and it feels much better. Some of the weight I will have to put back, but only grudgingly, and preferably as low as possible.

The duffle by itself might be a good lightweight solution. Right now I'm talking about putting back 20 lbs worth of rack and cases (the rack and 1550s weigh 30+ lbs).

·
Registered
962 Posts
I recommend you add a trunk/top box instead of adding smaller side cases. 39" isn't wide at all for most bikes with side cases.

For comparison, my setup is 48" wide.

Ken

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I just mounted 1430 top loaders (38" overall width) this weekend as a secondary set to the even larger 1440 (46" overall width). At about 1-3/4" wider than these 1490's, there's no way I'd want to go narrower than the 1430 for top loaders, or side loaders. Unless you are carrying file folders or a single sweatshirt, I don't think these are going to offer you any utility at all. The 1550's are comparable to mainstream MC luggage offerings from Givi, Hepco Becker, and others in their overall width.

If you really want a smaller, lower profile box, consider the 1500 or 1520. Same case, just a bit smaller in each direction, but still plenty of utility. Compare the sizes here-
1500- http://www.caseclub.com/pelican-case-1500.htm
1520- http://www.caseclub.com/pelican-case-1520.htm
1550- http://www.caseclub.com/pelican-case-1550.htm

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You're kind of asking for the impossible: Lots of capacity, lightweight, all the weight carried low, side protection, with a very narrow profile. It doesn't exist. You already have the closest thing to it. There are always trade-offs.

Keep in mind that even though the V-Strom is the heaviest bike you have owned, it's still a relatively light bike. And the Pelican cases mounted to the SW-Motech rack is one of the narrowest luggage setups you can put on this bike and still have decent capacity.

Just keep riding---you'll get used to it in no time. Eventually you will come to appreciate the Pelican cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts