StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a review of my installation of the PegPacker fuel carrying “system”.

BestRest Products, LLC - Peg Packer 2-gallon Unit

What is it?
The Pegpacker is essentially a bracket and a shelf that installs into either side passenger footrests. It consists of a stainless steel bracket, a mounting bracket and a top shelf. Models come in different sizes.

Why?
I chose the PegPacker because I didn’t have any place to properly mount a Rotopax. I don’t use hard cases, so this seemed like the easiest solution. I don’t usually need to carry fuel, but I am planning on doing James Bay road this summer, and prefer carrying something with me.
Installation
Everything came in a neat box. I unpacked everything to take a look. The first thing that sticks out is the installation instructions. Pages and pages of them. After looking over, most of this seems to be to cover all the BMW models. My box had a one page insert to cover the Strom. Unfortunately, these instructions are not very clear. The diagrams could use better orientation and clarity, and , should at least be in color. Fortunately, some of the information is available on the website.
This is where things got complicated for me. The Pegpacker system uses a metal “billet” that slips between the mounting bracket and the the frame of the bike. Well, for some reason my never fit properly. I exchanged numerous emails with the company, only in the end to have to grind down the metal piece myself. While I was not impressed with this DIY project, I did manage to get it to mount properly. BestRest told me that I must have a “special Vstrom” that made their manufacturing not line up with my footrest bracket…..I think they’ didn’t measure multiple Strom models…
You also have to drill the shelf that hold the gas container. Again, I understand that they can predrill for every bike, but still, something should be figured out.
I got everything mounted, but the shelf seems to stick out and lean more than I expected. I tied it back with a tie wrap. My next step is to fill the container with water (2 gallons) and go for a ride.

In conclusion
Good idea on the product, with somewhat questionable implementation, at least for the Strom. Wasn’t cheap ($135.00). For that price, I’d expect something a bit more “turnkey”. I spent a total of 2.5 hours trying to get this product to work. I certainly do not expect to have to grind down aluminum billets to get proper fit.

Perhaps this is more geared for BMW bikes, im not sure.

I’ll continue to use this for now, but in hindsight, my money and time would have been better spent on finding a mounting system for the Rotopax product

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I made a Peg-Packer of my own last year, but didn't like the "bulk" of the 1 Gallon can sticking out like that. I wish someone would make a half-gallon plastic jug?? The packer is a good idea.......just needs refinement.

Took it off and built a smaller version that will hold (2) MSR bottles........I know, not much fuel capapcity, but unless I head to Alaska in the near future, it's all I need.........plus the weight is positioned down low (not mounted up higher on a pannier or frame).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got rid of this product after mounting screws snapped on me.

not impressed.

save yourself the hassle and get a Rotopax system.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
i got rid of this product after mounting screws snapped on me.
save yourself the hassle and get a Rotopax system.
Bummer............yeah, 2 gallons of liquid is a sizable weight cantelevered out there like that, I would think??? I might have some replacement SS M6 bolts if you want to replace the busted ones before giving (selling) the Peg-Packer away?? Just PM me if you need some.........
mark444

1 - 4 of 4 Posts