StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a DL 1000. Presently ride a GSXR 750 and do like to wick it up in the twisties. Do the Strom pegs scrape easily during aggressive cornering? I weigh 165 lbs.--Thanks--Carl

·
Registered
351 Posts
pegs

Carl

Weighing at 165 lbs and with the rear preload maxed the VS will probably still drag its pegs. I do not think this will be a huge concern. If you rode the bike fully loaded with gear or two up the pegs may dig in hard and may be a concerned. Your weight is about perfect for the VS. It's when you weigh over 190 lbs the bike starts to sag in the suspension. Center stands also cause a lot of ground clearance. If your inseam is longer then 32" you can raise the bike up higher. I'm about to install a spacer in the rear shock for more preload I'm 240 lbs.

Scooter

M

·
0 Posts
I was surprised to drag my right peg yesterday taking a leisurely ride down Palomar Mountain in east San Diego. I'm a heavy weight at 270lb and have the front and year at max preload. I still get some sag of course. First time dragger for me and the noise and feel seemed alot worse than it was. The bike felt solid so I kept the line until safely out of the haripin. I did lean it a little further than I normally do and was trying to stay away from the center line.

I need to learn to corner better though, alot better. My guess at that lean angle and my weight, I was not far from a low side slide.

Can anyone recommend some good reading on proper turning technique? Or maybe some practice exercises for mentally challenged?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It will drag them quite well, I've went over board and can't get a wrench on the left one any more to replace the hero blob, right is still a bit longer. Going to have to try a left hand drill bit to pull the left one out and replace it. Not sure why weight is any issue if the bike is setup properly but I come in at about 185, I have a Ohlins on the rear and Wilbers up front.

·
Registered
482 Posts
marndo said:
I need to learn to corner better though, alot better. My guess at that lean angle and my weight, I was not far from a low side slide.

Can anyone recommend some good reading on proper turning technique? Or maybe some practice exercises for mentally challenged?
Ride Like a Pro video from http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ is a good DVD for practice exercises.

Hanging off the seat like the sport bike riders do will lower the center of gravity. Same speed will require less lean angle.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use all of my rear tire and I've never scraped the pegs.

G

·
0 Posts
TheTwins said:
I use all of my rear tire and I've never scraped the pegs.
Hmmm. Me neither (on a DL1000), and I'm pretty far over around corners at 80mph. Hope you guys don't suddenly find loose sand or dead rabbits at the apex.

:shock:

·
Registered
654 Posts
GB #121 said:
....dead rabbits at the apex.

:shock:
That's just more traction !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I never dragged until I installed the Suzuki center stand and the included longer feeler for the left side footpeg. Now it's not uncommon for me to scrape a little in the really slow, tight stuff.
I'm barely pushing 160# wet and usually set the stock rear no firmer than the 3rd notch. It's not a bad compromise, though, to have still have enough clearance to use up the rear tire, be able to elevate the rear tire anywhere, and ride back all suppel-like and comfy after some nice twisties!

T

·
0 Posts
i scraped the other day riding around my yard...oh it wasnt my strom it was my 100cc little playbike :)

S

·
0 Posts
Well, I have been taking my Wee-Strom on some wild and crazy twisties up in the North Georgia Mountains, everything from 10 mph hairpin curves with sheer drop offs and no guard rails to 80 mph sweepers. Haven't ever scraped a peg and the chicken strips are completely gone on my rear tire. This is a fantastic cornering bike - stable, confidence -inspiring and oh-so much fun in the twisties.

·
Registered
654 Posts
soboy said:
.....stable, confidence -inspiring and oh-so much fun.....
You said it !!

V

·
0 Posts
I've dragged the centerstand once or twice but not the pegs...but I take it pretty easy with the Strom. I ride an RC51 on the track with sticky tires, etc and toast tires and drag knees. In comparison the Strom on the streets feels huge and long with skinny tires-although ultra stable. I can get the Strom to go at a pretty good clip in the twisties and I do shift my weight down and to the inside of the bike sometimes which makes if possible to get around the corner using less lean angle. I've probably got about a 1/4 inch on each edge of the rear tire that has not seem pavement but thats OK with me because I stay in my comfort zone all the time. On the track I do this to tires:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~flowersdavidmary/Tire2Fast.jpg

Its a lot safer to push it on the track.....

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
marndo said:
I was surprised to drag my right peg yesterday taking a leisurely ride down Palomar Mountain in east San Diego.
I surprised by the same road yesterday, well, err.. not dragging a peg, but rather I dragged the edge of my toes on both boots (the lowest things hanging off my bike) in the first two hairpins on Palomar's South Grade Rd. Something about those curves if even I get over that far!

I tucked my lazy feet up a bit for the rest of the climb... :p

D

·
0 Posts
Scrap mine everytime I go riding. :? Methinks I need to add an SV1000 to my garage and use the 'Strom for touring and hauling the girlfriend(s) around. :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
I drag my peg quite often, Hwy 74 has some good tight stuff. I would like to know where Scooter is geting his spacer. I weigh 200 & ride two up quit a bit

M

·
0 Posts
I've never dragged a peg. I guess that I don't push it hard enough, but I've used up most of the tread on both sides. I have about a half inch on each side that hasn't seen pavement, but I've got a set of GIVI bags that I would sure hate to scuff up, just to say that I bent her over far enough to use up that last little bit of tire. I did however, rub the toe of my boot also.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I scraped the edge of my boot the other day. I finally got off my lazy butt and started to shift my weight off the seat and further into the turn. This allows me to turn the handlebars more and take the corners tighter without leaning further.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts