StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you drag the pegs when you go for a fast ride? On every bike I have owned till this one I could drag the pegs going around corners. Is it because these bikes sit up higher

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
I dragged the right side going down grade to Borrego Springs but I was full loaded with camping gear. Surprised me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dragged peg last week for the first time. Made me pretty nervous as I was doing 90mph and could feel the bike shudder a little. If you're not leaning off the side of the bike you really gotta go low! I'll hang off the side from now on i think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you like the feeling of your pegs dragging?

I have an aftermarket full exhaust and center stand. Center stand drags on the left and exhaust on the right. Just re-bolted up the skid plate. So that'll now drag instead of the exhaust pipes :biggrinjester:

But all in all.... I try to not drag hard parts. But I guess to each, their own. :beatnik:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't dragged at high speed, but often drag my left around 70kph on tight corners. I dragged my right for the first time the other day (had my wife on the back..guess it was the extra weight)

·
Registered
103 Posts
peg dragging

tough to do on the strom unless you bottom out on a corner,I have 1 inch extended feelers and touch down every now and then ,but riding that briskly leaves no chicken strips on tourances. Speed is usualy not a factor just lean angle. Have put a shinko 705 radial on front it has a lot more edge to lean over on, going to dump the slippery tourance non exp and put a 705 radial on back as well(that should liven things up) the shinkos are much stickier than tourance,they are on par with the tourance exp but have more side tread.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to know if you would drag the pegs before the tires started to slide. I had a cbr1000 with sticky tires that I could drag the pegs without the tires letting go, but my wee seems like it could be leaned over more before dragging

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wanted to know if you would drag the pegs before the tires started to slide. I had a cbr1000 with sticky tires that I could drag the pegs without the tires letting go, but my wee seems like it could be leaned over more before dragging
With me dragging pegs, I still have about 10mm of unused rear tyre (still has chicken strips) and about 5mm at the front (still has chicken strips).

So basically, if I drag a peg, I know I can still push harder.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Don't worry about the tires.
I didn't drag the pegs, but as I passed a truck on a busy road, I shifted to second while still partialy leaned over and watched the horizon angle shift as the front wheel lifted.
No complaints from the tires.
Scared the living daylights of the rider.

It did the same thing later.
There's more grip in the tires and more power in the bike than I thought.

·
Registered
103 Posts
peg dragging

With me dragging pegs, I still have about 10mm of unused rear tyre (still has chicken strips) and about 5mm at the front (still has chicken strips).

So basically, if I drag a peg, I know I can still push harder.[/QJust wondering what tires you are runningUOTE]

·
Registered
252 Posts
All the time.

Yes, the suspension is setup for my weight.

Sonic springs w/ Racetech gold valves.
Elka shock w/ 10mm raised ride height.
Shinko 705's.
KLR pegs.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep, generally drag the RHS (opposite camber corners over here - the RHS tyre gets more work) one more than the left. Haven't done it in a while. I've found that I tend to do it just after I've bought a bike (gave the Connie's pegs a hard time for a while), I then adapt to the handling of the bike and tend to do it less.

No chicken strips though...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just wondering what tires you are running
Shinko 705's.
Sonic springs w/ Racetech gold valves.
Elka shock

I'll also add that I am not what I would say a fast rider. I have been riding on the dirt since I was 5 (I'm 31) and I had a road bike when I was 17-19. But other than that, I only got the Strom in January this year. I would suspect that a fast (or perhaps just more experienced) would drag pegs all day long if it's on twisties.

It's hard to see the wear...but...left one is front. Right is rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Yes, not all the time, but now and then on my K6. Usually chasing (or being chased by) sportsbikes.

Havn't managed it on the L2 yet, but I don't trust the Trailwings that much either :)

Pete

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went into a rh turn a bit hot and came close with stock tires and passenger not leaning with me. I looked at tire afterwards and it had about 1 mm left. this on stock tires 2011 dl 650. not trying to drag an was leaning off just to make it. I was surprised the bike didnt slide out. I was only going 40 to 50 mph. It would be hard to drag them on a flat turn, but possible. Just not for me :). i dont think i could pucker any harder than i did coming within 3 inches of dragging lol

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
No.....I live in the flatlands of Michigan, and unless you're really breaking the law, or riding like a complete maniac, there's very little opportunity for draggin' pegs - combine crumbly tarmac, lotsa road debris/sand/gravel in corners, lotsa sprawl-grid riding, gently curving roads thru lake areas - no real demanding roads to test one's mettle. Perhaps this is why I've never actually tried on my Strom. In a way, the strom is way more suited to this type of environment than the poor Gixxer pilot I see riding around looking for ANYTHING to make it less boring.

It does surprise me with lean angles that would have gotten my previous bike in serious trouble.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When going through the twisties around here, I can drag both sides. At this point, I've ground away the peg feelers and have started losing some of the actual pegs.

The Pilot Road 3's really let me lean over and stick great!

Steve

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've dragged my left foot peg a few times, usually when going around a tight corner that's cambered/sloped in some way rather than because of outright speed. I've also dragged each peg when doing 15' circles around an orange cone (in the pouring rain, no less!) while taking the Lee Parks Total Control Class. I ride Shinko 705's.

I've heard very experienced riders say there's no valid reason to be scraping pegs, and that if you're doing so you're not riding properly/safely. I used to think it was a badge of honor to have scraped my foot pegs on my 2007 V-Strom 650, but after hearing what more experienced riders have said about it, I no longer feel the same about it. And thinking it through, having anything harder than the tire's rubber touching pavement is a potentially risky event, even if it's spring loaded (i.e. the foot pegs).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think I have to agree with stevewz. I've scraped a couple of times, but certainly not intentionally. The first time I came in hotter than I intended and I think there was a bit of a low spot in the road so the peg touched as the suspension compressed. The second time was very smooth but startled me because I didn't feel I was leaned over that much. Even with the spring-loaded pegs it changes the bike's handling in the corner when something hard comes in contact with the road surface. All in all, I prefer to keep the bike shy of actual contact. I think it's safer that way. YMMV

1 - 20 of 53 Posts