StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut about an inch off my exhaust peashooter today, and I've gotta say, it does sound a lot better. I've left about half an inch in there, so it's not flush. Will the exhaust note change any more if I do remove the remaining portion?
I'm happy with the sound at the moment, but would like just a little more but I don't know if I'm going to get any if I carry on.
Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you would cut the whole pea shooter off where it extends through the end of the muffler cap, and it wouldn't do much at all.

I went a bit more extreme, have a look here;
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/72959-modifying-2012-stock-exhaust.html

My exhaust is still quieter than my friends stock Yamaha MT01.

This is a video with my bike with a modified exhaust, you can hear the exhaust isn't loud. The whirrs of the engine are louder in the video.
2012 Suzuki DL650A Vstrom Offroad at Mt Mee - YouTube

For comparison, here I am riding my DRZ400E (same helmet and camera so you can compare the noises). I am running a Muzzy exhaust with a spark arrestor and quiet insert, and you can hear it is much louder than the modified Vstrom exhaust;
Bollards following Lachlan - YouTube

And for more comparison, here is my DRZ400E in supermoto trim at a trackday. The track has a 90dB sound limit, so I run additional baffles and quiet inserts in the Muzzy. Even restricted down like this, it is louder than the modified Vstrom.
Small Wheel Sunday - Lakeside 17th Jun 2012 - Part 3 - YouTube

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I cut down 2/3 of my pea shooter on my 2014 DL650. I like the sound but I noticed some backfiring when slowing down. I'm a bit concerned if it will damage the engine long term? What do you think? Otherwise I like the sound very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts