StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, Just bought a PCV for my 2008 DL1000.

I`ve been searching a map for it, i have stock exaust but i have a K&N filter.
Saw lots of maps here, i`m kind of confuse of wich one i should download first :) .

I believe You guys tested a few, so i ask your advice. My intention is to decrease the stuttering on low gears.

Thank you ( i`m new here, i will intruduce my self & my suzie on the right place :))

·
Registered
44 Posts
It does not seem that what I am experiencing is that, what I experience is some sort of "difference" at the certain RPM but only when accellerating with the throttle opened fast.

In the first 2-3 gears this is definitely something I can feel easily, when in higher gears at the same speed, as long as I don't open the throttle wide all of a sudden, it does not really do much in terms of that. I mean it is reasonably smooth. Even cruising at those RPM it does not really chug bock and forth or hesitate, especially with the PC FC now, this even even better and pretty smooth.

i still feel that "difference" in sound and a little in the overall vibration in the first 2-3 gears but with the FC it's less noticeable.

I probably can't explain myself too well... but i can tell that the Fuel Moto setting I got from the forum works better then stock.
I too experienced this behaviour with my DL1000. The bike has been dynoed with a PCV installed http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=357057 and this did improve but not eliminate the frequency and severity of this difference in feel. On deeper thought and the fact that it was not eliminated i am now however wondering if what I am feeling is actually not a fuel delivery issue but rather "clutch chudder" which is discussed in threads elsewhere on this forum. I would be interested to recieve feedback from others also.

I am currently travelling on vacation (touring Tasmania on the DL1000 as it happens) but will happily share my PCV map when I return home in a week or so.

When tuning on the dyno fuel was taken out of most rpm/throttle positions as strangely most were rich rather than lean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too experienced this behaviour with my DL1000. The bike has been dynoed with a PCV installed Dyno chart after PC5 installation - Stromtrooper Forum and this did improve but not eliminate the frequency and severity of this difference in feel. On deeper thought and the fact that it was not eliminated i am now however wondering if what I am feeling is actually not a fuel delivery issue but rather "clutch chudder" which is discussed in threads elsewhere on this forum. I would be interested to recieve feedback from others also.

I am currently travelling on vacation (touring Tasmania on the DL1000 as it happens) but will happily share my PCV map when I return home in a week or so.

When tuning on the dyno fuel was taken out of most rpm/throttle positions as strangely most were rich rather than lean.

That`s it Gundog, thank you a lot. My problem passes thru that "easy on the Clutch", i ride more in city at the moment and my left hand is starting to get some muscle hehe .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks, Just bought a PCV for my 2008 DL1000.

I`ve been searching a map for it, i have stock exaust but i have a K&N filter.
Saw lots of maps here, i`m kind of confuse of wich one i should download first :) .

I believe You guys tested a few, so i ask your advice. My intention is to decrease the stuttering on low gears.

Thank you ( i`m new here, i will intruduce my self & my suzie on the right place :))
AndyS, did you decide upon a map? If so, which one? Also, welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I decided to install de "Cheff's OMG custom dyno map.PVM" but i will only test it late night.
Hope it turns all right. :)
I have a 2009 DL1000 with a PCV and also use "Cheff's OMG custom dyno map.PVM." My experience with it is that greatly improves drivability at low speeds and low RPMs. That said, it seems to be a REALLY fuel rich map. There are times when the smell of gasoline is almost overpowering.

What has your experience been thus far using Cheff's OMG map?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I have a PC-V on the way and my dealership will install it along with doing a TBS too. I asked my guy there if they have access to maps to program with, or if they need anything from me. I'm just looking for smooth power and MPG improvement too if possible.
I don't understand his reply:

All maps and parameters are provided by power commander based on your accessories only. Definitely plan on leaving it for the day on monday :)

Does that seem confident?
The bike is all stock except the 16:41 ratio and a K-N air filter.

It's a very experienced cycle dealership.

·
Administrator
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have a PC-V on the way and my dealership will install it along with doing a TBS too. I asked my guy there if they have access to maps to program with, or if they need anything from me. I'm just looking for smooth power and MPG improvement too if possible.
I don't understand his reply:

All maps and parameters are provided by power commander based on your accessories only. Definitely plan on leaving it for the day on monday :)

Does that seem confident?
The bike is all stock except the 16:41 ratio and a K-N air filter.

It's a very experienced cycle dealership.
Download a map from here, or play around with the base map provided with your PCV......I assume yours has one loaded depending on where you got it from?

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Download a map from here, or play around with the base map provided with your PCV......I assume yours has one loaded depending on where you got it from?
Base map. It bet that is what he means.
SV Racing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Power Commander has maps available on their website that are tuned for certain model years with certain mods (mainly aftermarket filters and exhaust). That's what they'll use.

Aaaand I wouldn't expect any MPG improvement. Most likely case is a decrease in MPG.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just let them install it and they will use a map from Dynojet web site. That will get you rolling good but you can play around with maps here if you want to test the waters. I got my PC-V from Fuel Moto and installed it myself with their map. Part of their service is to help you with better maps. Like you, I wanted better mileage also so I called them and they e-mailed me a new map that help with mileage but was able to keep performance. Regardless, you should really like your bike when you get it back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too experienced this behaviour with my DL1000. The bike has been dynoed with a PCV installed Dyno chart after PC5 installation - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums and this did improve but not eliminate the frequency and severity of this difference in feel. On deeper thought and the fact that it was not eliminated i am now however wondering if what I am feeling is actually not a fuel delivery issue but rather "clutch chudder" which is discussed in threads elsewhere on this forum. I would be interested to recieve feedback from others also.

Finally got the map off the bike, (attached here with chart). No modifications to the mechanicals, just a K&N air filter replacing the existing factory filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a 2009 DL1000 with a PCV and also use "Cheff's OMG custom dyno map.PVM." My experience with it is that greatly improves drivability at low speeds and low RPMs. That said, it seems to be a REALLY fuel rich map. There are times when the smell of gasoline is almost overpowering.

What has your experience been thus far using Cheff's OMG map?
I have not found a map that DOESN'T make the bike smell like a gas can. And I've tried quite a few.

Even the ones that are pulling out -30 or so at the higher rpms and throttle openings still make the bike smell like unburnt fuel (which makes sense, since they are all still rich on the low end, where you would be smelling the fumes...)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a question relating to throttle response and fueling just off closed throttle.

I've tried a bunch of maps, some better than others, most improving the 3000-4500 driveability, but the bike still has a very sudden on/off throttle response just off idle.

The place this is most annoying is in lower speed, tight corners, where the throttle is closed, then needs to be cracked open just a bit. I've got pretty good throttle control, but it is still a b*tch on this bike to crack open the throttle without the bike jumping forward. I'll usually apply a little pressure on the clutch lever to reduce the impulse, but this shouldn't be necessary on the 20-30 mph corners. I don't have to do that on my GS.

I have synced the throttle bodies, have a new TPS that raises the bar at 1500-1600 rpm. Throttle cables adjusted properly. Proper chain tension. All of that.

Just wondering if this is something that can be "softened" with the Power Commander. Specifically, I'm wondering if adding a little fuel at closed throttle (where it is currently 0) might help with the on/off throttle transition.

Any thoughts or advice on this issue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Finally got the map off the bike, (attached here with chart). No modifications to the mechanicals, just a K&N air filter replacing the existing factory filter.

Thanks for sharing, Gundog - what year is your Vee?

I just loaded Cheff's "OMG" map last night for the first time (been running the PCFC with the stock map for the past few weeks) and all I can say is...Oh My God! What a difference. Smooth, linear power from just off idle all the way up to 7k. Going to give yours a try tomorrow :grin2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
2013. Last of the old model (same as 2012 in USA I believe). In Australia they were sold thru in 2013 but I have gathered that they stopped in 2012 with new model out in 2014?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Gundog - what year is your Vee?

I just loaded Cheff's "OMG" map last night for the first time (been running the PCFC with the stock map for the past few weeks) and all I can say is...Oh My God! What a difference. Smooth, linear power from just off idle all the way up to 7k. Going to give yours a try tomorrow :grin2:
What year is your bike?

·
Registered
374 Posts
You need to be careful using maps for later model first gen bikes, with yours being a 2004. Chef's map is probably better suited for your bike (didn't he have an '04 as well?). Later model bikes had different fuel maps stock and I think they actually had the opposite issues from the earlier gen 1s. Early bikes were rich down low, lean up top, and later bikes like my 2007 it is the opposite.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You need to be careful using maps for later model first gen bikes, with yours being a 2004. Chef's map is probably better suited for your bike (didn't he have an '04 as well?). Later model bikes had different fuel maps stock and I think they actually had the opposite issues from the earlier gen 1s. Early bikes were rich down low, lean up top, and later bikes like my 2007 it is the opposite.
His was either an '03 or '04. In any case, it has improved low speed/low rpm rideability significantly and eliminated the flat spot between 3k and 4k rpm - after that it just pulls hard and smooth. I did 350 miles yesterday ranging from Forest Service roads to freeway and had zero complaints. I get your point about being careful matching maps to bikes though - I used Chef's because it seemed like we had essentially the same machine

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 98 Posts