StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I'm not so computer smart. I recently purchase a PCFC. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to save these files as a pvm file. Is it as simple as: opening downloads, selecting the file, changing the txt to pvm and saving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 1000. From the very beginning I was disappointed in how it ran, the idle was horrible, while driving it home in stop and go traffic on the freeway it quit a couple of times. I had it back to the dealer and he messed around a bunch to get the idle to not be too fast and not die. I decided to install two brothers cans and a K&N air filter. Now it really ran like crap. :) I had heard good things about the PC and picked up a PCV. Even with the stock map that came with it ran much, much better. It idled great and the power felt much smoother.

I haven't had a chance to check out any of the other maps (it seemed like they were all for the PCIII). I was excited to see this thread. I'll have to check out some of the posted maps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a particular map for my setup or should I just try them out?

Great thread! Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 1000. From the very beginning I was disappointed in how it ran, the idle was horrible, while driving it home in stop and go traffic on the freeway it quit a couple of times. I had it back to the dealer and he messed around a bunch to get the idle to not be too fast and not die. I decided to install two brothers cans and a K&N air filter. Now it really ran like crap. :) I had heard good things about the PC and picked up a PCV. Even with the stock map that came with it ran much, much better. It idled great and the power felt much smoother.

I haven't had a chance to check out any of the other maps (it seemed like they were all for the PCIII). I was excited to see this thread. I'll have to check out some of the posted maps.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a particular map for my setup or should I just try them out?

Great thread! Thanks again.
I am interested in this too. I have basically the same setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm getting pretty abysmal fuel economy with the stock Fuel Moto map (that Cheff originally posted). Like low 30's, 31-33 mpg, confirmed mileage with GPS. I went to this map because it seemed to be smoother from 3750 to 5k rpm than Cheff's "OMG" map that so many folks like.

I'm probably going to run a zero map for a tank just to see what the fuel economy is like stock. Seems I did that when I first got the bike, and got low 40s, and then didn't worry about it afterward. I'm curious to see if I am still getting that stock, and if not, something else may be going on. Bike has 32k miles on it at the moment, 2007 model year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm getting pretty abysmal fuel economy with the stock Fuel Moto map (that Cheff originally posted). Like low 30's, 31-33 mpg, confirmed mileage with GPS. I went to this map because it seemed to be smoother from 3750 to 5k rpm than Cheff's "OMG" map that so many folks like.

I'm probably going to run a zero map for a tank just to see what the fuel economy is like stock. Seems I did that when I first got the bike, and got low 40s, and then didn't worry about it afterward. I'm curious to see if I am still getting that stock, and if not, something else may be going on. Bike has 32k miles on it at the moment, 2007 model year.
I am running the Two Brothers map off of the Dynojet website. Currently the bike has modified stock exhaust with KN air filter. Previously I ran the same map with a set of Dale Walker Holeshot pipes. I average 40 mpg and the bike is silky smooth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am now running the Dynojet Two Brothers map with a pair of Delkovic tri-oval mufflers. Bike runs great, and I've run it now with the baffles inserted, and without, but haven't done any mpg calculations. I'm having too much fun making them sing :)
I turned a buddy on to that Map as well. Same results from him. Loves the way it pulls and feels now. His mpg isn't great but I would assume its bc the front wheel rarely sees the ground.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am now running the Dynojet Two Brothers map with a pair of Delkovic tri-oval mufflers. Bike runs great, and I've run it now with the baffles inserted, and without, but haven't done any mpg calculations. I'm having too much fun making them sing :)
Are you running the OEM air filter or do you have the K&N as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the fuel maps on the ECUs for the Gen 1s? I am curious if any of these maps would apply to any of the 996 Gen 1s engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anybody specifically tried/created a lean map for stock air filter and exhausts to save fuel while cruising? I'm enjoying the Dynojet 20-017-005 map as it takes out the flat spot I was experiencing at ~2800rpm, but pretty sure I'm using more fuel. I'd like to exploit the 'switch on the fly' feature of the PCV to change modes between cruising 'n' twisties.

Anybody out there used the Autotune add-on for aforementioned idea...?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Haven't tried it yet, but this is exactly what I would like to do. I've been looking at various maps and trying to figure out the best combination to use to get rid of the lean fueling at sub 4250 rpms, and keep the factory map as closely as possible everywhere else.

My concern is that in a lot of they dyno-tuned maps from Dynojet and Fuel Moto and the like, there are a lot of blocks with large negative numbers, meaning they're pulling fuel out significantly through the rpm/throttle position range. That's the part that I wouldn't know how to adjust for.

I do a lot of cruising at 3750-4750 rpm, at less than 50% throttle. If you look at most maps, the fueling is very very rich in those areas, which explains why I haven't seen better than 34-35 mpg since running the PCFC. I'd really like to at least be able to cruise and get 40 mpg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm looking for a map to accompany my PCV with full exhaust and K&N. Can anyone help? Dynojet doesn't have one on their page

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
...I think from Dynojets point of view (based on the notes that accompany each MAP file) stock and aftermarket air filters are considered to have negligible difference, at least for an aftermarket filter that fits in the stock airbox. By full exhaust, do you mean stock or aftermarket system/slip-ons?

There are a couple of 'lean' maps that are downloadable from this thread, but I haven't tried them on a stock set-up yet. There is a performance bike shop near me with a Dyno - I'm thinking about paying them a visit and having a couple of custom MAPs created. I will be willing to share if the results are good...

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
...I think from Dynojets point of view (based on the notes that accompany each MAP file) stock and aftermarket air filters are considered to have negligible difference, at least for an aftermarket filter that fits in the stock airbox. By full exhaust, do you mean stock or aftermarket system/slip-ons?

There are a couple of 'lean' maps that are downloadable from this thread, but I haven't tried them on a stock set-up yet. There is a performance bike shop near me with a Dyno - I'm thinking about paying them a visit and having a couple of custom MAPs created. I will be willing to share if the results are good...

Hi, I purchased the Arrow collector and a Yoshimura slip-on as well as a K&N air filter. I see on Dynojets site they only offer a few MAP's for a stock filter. I'm not sure that will be good enough being that the K&N allows more air in. I'm pretty sure that should be compensated for. I appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it if it's for a V2.

Thanks!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree that the K&N vs. paper filter is not going to make enough difference to have a noticeably different map. The exhaust is going to be the biggest factor, and the three or so maps on Dynojet's site are going to cover most, if not all of the setups out there. The difference in elevation at the location they created that map, vs. where you ride, is going to make more of a difference than a paper vs. foam filter.

Try the map for the Two Brothers exhaust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
...the K&N vs. paper filter is not going to make enough difference...
Yes, all the MAP files from Dynojet's site say "stock or after market air filter" in the notes. On the other hand, a lot of the files you can download from this thread contain K&N specific references...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The Dynojet maps I saw just added fuel everywhere and were too rich, maybe they added some new ones since I looked though. Easy to make your own, but I'm happy with the Big B map running my 2Bros Cans and a stock air filter. Without luggage I see 43 mpg average, with loaded Tusk panniers its more like 40/41 mpg tops, the suckers are wide. Stock SOFT luggage was easy on the wind, so 42/43 mpg was common on tours. I cruise at 4K rpm. Running hard and fast in the mountains I stay above 38 mpg, not bad considering the tall wind shield, added skid plate, engine guards, 52 liter top case and camping gear load. I've been leaving my Tusk Panniers on all the time since I bolted them up like a cheap skate and I've lost about 2 mpg average, but the storage capacity is nice. The 45" width blocks some wind!

Take the Big B map as a base line and lean it out a little, make your own economy map. I tried to lean it at the 4K area and it coughed too much, so I went back to the regular Big B map and its good enough for my 06 with exhaust. If your getting 30 mpg with a map like that then look for other issues. When I went into the 35 mpg range it was a throttle body sync port sucking air, my vacuum line I added wasn't sealing right and the TB sync went haywire. Easy fix, used the correct size fittings the second time around... Rubber nipples and vacuum hoses dry out, throttle body boots get out of whack from lean backfires etc. I can make my Vee cough loud by rolling off the throttle hard sometimes, so I don't think I want to go any leaner. But, if it ain't lean surging, no lean cough then your not hurting anything. The Big B map is okay for an aggressive rider, I get very little lean decell pop through my loud exhaust. If I was a mild rider I probably would have stuck with my leaner version, but I like to wind it out too much so a little rich is better for me....

21 - 40 of 96 Posts