StromTrooper banner

341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Ok guys I need some background. My 03 Vee sidecar rig does not have any aftermarket tuning equipment on it, but I could have been teka or yosh tuned. I don't have any off idle problems or noticeable surging. It does have the rough under throttle under 4K that is worst from 2700-3200.

I'm contemplating getting a PCFC to smooth out the bottom end.

Anyone know of a way to find out if any previous ecu tuning has been done?

Is it worth doing a custom tune vs trying various downloadable added maps?

A dyno run would be a bitch as I'd have to divorce the hack and trailer the bike somewhere for a dyno
run.

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i just installed the pcfc on my 05 dl1000 it had only a k&n air filter added. but had rough lean spot there around the rpm you mentioned. with the tune included on the pcfc i selected the 2nd option and most of the stumble is gone. i am however going to try a couple of other tunes listed on here and see if it goes away completely. i also had the same suspicion about mine being tuned some but had no way to confirm. this pcfc seems to have overridden the fuel maps and used its own. So far so good.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

I don't know of any stroms that have a ECU that can be tuned, the only way is to add aftermarket stuff.

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
I don't know of any stroms that have a ECU that can be tuned, the only way is to add aftermarket stuff.
Incorrect....a TEKA or Yosh box can actually re-flash the ECM at certain RPM's and %.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Just thought I'd follow up again for the permanent record:

Bib B's V2 map so far is the BEST map for my setup. 2005 DL1000, Two Bros, stock filter. I like this map much better than the Dyna Jet suggested map. Finally got the luggage unloaded and got to take it for a good run. Still some subtle pop if engine braking, but performs better than I originally though. Thanks, guys!

P.S. I've also got a ripper of a map done by Jet Tuning in Camarillo for this setup; it's no good for fuel economy and it boggs down low, but it unleashes the beast in 5k+ territory! If anyone wants it, let me know.
That is great to hear, my 05 ran like a raped ape and still got good gas mileage with that map, I spent a lot of time tweaking it. :smile2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is great to hear, my 05 ran like a raped ape and still got good gas mileage with that map, I spent a lot of time tweaking it. :smile2:
Did you have any decel pop? I thought I had exhaust leaks eliminated, but I noticed the other day there is a small one where the CA legal 2Bros slip-on connects on the right side. Haven't checked intake leaks, but I guess I better. Also wondered if a K&N would help more of the fuel get burned in the cylinder (but I know many say the decel pop is actually due to a LEAN condition). It's just a little annoying, and hard to forget about. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Did you have any decel pop? I thought I had exhaust leaks eliminated, but I noticed the other day there is a small one where the CA legal 2Bros slip-on connects on the right side. Haven't checked intake leaks, but I guess I better. Also wondered if a K&N would help more of the fuel get burned in the cylinder (but I know many say the decel pop is actually due to a LEAN condition). It's just a little annoying, and hard to forget about. :)
A little bit of deceleration pop is fine, you don't want the kind that blows off throttle body boots though.

I'm still running the big b map on my 06. It's a good all-around map.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wonder if even need a tune

I am fairly new to the V Strom world. Purchased a 2003 DL1000 in Feb 2018 with 49K miles.

I have done a TB sync and checked the TPS calibration, all is good now. The bike has a pair of Remus Slip-ons and a K&N drop in filter. By all accounts it should be running pretty lean, but I am not detecting any signs of a lean running condition.

I suppose a previous unknown owner had the bike tuned with Yosh box, is there anyway to tell.

Hate to spend the $ on Power Commander if it's not needed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ok guys I need some background. My 03 Vee sidecar rig does not have any aftermarket tuning equipment on it, but I could have been teka or yosh tuned. I don't have any off idle problems or noticeable surging. It does have the rough under throttle under 4K that is worst from 2700-3200.

I'm contemplating getting a PCFC to smooth out the bottom end.

Is it worth doing a custom tune vs trying various downloadable added maps?

A dyno run would be a bitch as I'd have to divorce the hack and trailer the bike somewhere for a dyno
run.

Thanks.

Brian I have the same question about my 2003 DL1000. Does yours have aftermarket mufflers and air cleaner element? Have you synced your throttle bodies, I just did and took the majority of the roughness between 3000-4000 RPM.

I like you wonder if someone has reflashed the ECU can't find a way to prove that one way or another.

Hope someone can shed some light on our questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Playing around and unhooked the PCIII on my K5 and took a ride. It was terrible. Lean, popping, wouldn't hardly idle. Hated it. Hooked the PCIII back up and it became an enjoyable bike again.

Wow, what a huge difference. Now I remember why I bought it 10 years ago.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cause of your rough running not Fuel Injection

I just re-read your comments and since my first response to you a few months ago. I have since found and cured the cause of the excessive vibration you are feeling between 2700-3200 RPM. It is the clutch basket (chudder). You will need to replace it with a modified unit to remove those vibrations. Of course poorly sync'd throttle bodies can add to this issue as well.

The problem is Suzuki's poor design causing too much movement amongst all the parts that make up the basket assembly. As the miles add up these tolerances get bigger to the point of causing the issue you and I have experienced. This is a well know issue with the V Stroms' and Suzuki has never really addressed the problem.

The solution is to get in touch with Werks Parts, LLC and either make arrangements to have your baskets modified to fix the issue or buy and exchange unit. Terry the owner is on this forum often and I can tell you from my personal experience his work is a sight to behold, besides it works miracles to smooth out the Big Twin.

Terry also has a Youtube video showing step-by-step how to change out the clutch basket, if you have GOOD mechanical skills you should be able to do the job yourself as I did.

Here is the link to Werks Parts, LLC: https://www.werksparts.com/

Give Terry a call he will be happy to walk you through what he has done to fit Suzuki's piss poor design.

Good luck.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts