StromTrooper banner

321 - 340 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I probably should have phrased that better. What I was asking is if it would be a problem running a map for a bike with the secondaries removed on a bike without them removed.

I did a couple of short commutes to and from work and everything seemed ok. Right now the bike is in the shop getting a new TPS & the TBS sync done...and I'm in Michigan for work until Friday night. Saturday I'll have a chance to take a long ride and see what's what.
Your fine either way, the fuel map will work great, mainly the extra fueling is helping down low where the stock map is way lean.

Pulling the secondaries will increase the throttle response down low and make the bike snappy feeling so I've read. Thats not really desirable to me, the bike doesn't need any more throttle response IMO. They also effect the 5th and 6th gear performance, but its my understanding they mainly increase intake velocity at lower rpms and smooth out throttle response. They obviously were designed to serve a useful purpose. Many threads on the subject, most say it makes teh throttle response "crude". Probably fun to do if your a pavement only pounder and like an abrupt throttle. Probably feels like my old 07 FJR before I put the aftermarket throttle tube on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Your fine either way, the fuel map will work great, mainly the extra fueling is helping down low where the stock map is way lean.

Pulling the secondaries will increase the throttle response down low and make the bike snappy feeling so I've read. Thats not really desirable to me, the bike doesn't need any more throttle response IMO. They also effect the 5th and 6th gear performance, but its my understanding they mainly increase intake velocity at lower rpms and smooth out throttle response. They obviously were designed to serve a useful purpose. Many threads on the subject, most say it makes teh throttle response "crude". Probably fun to do if your a pavement only pounder and like an abrupt throttle. Probably feels like my old 07 FJR before I put the aftermarket throttle tube on.
Yeah, I have no desire to remove them.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The secondaries do affect the power in 5th and 6th as part of the system that reduces power in those gears to prevent a rider from going too fast. I've had them out since the first month I owned my Vee and now have a TRE, so they wouldn't affect the power anyhow. No need to put them back in. Runs fine either way. When I ride pretty nicely, I get 50 mpg. Last tank was 41. Local riding.
I'm taking it to the 1/8th mile drag strip Sunday. I've changed some stuff in there since a couple years ago so I'm interested to see if there will be a difference in times. Not the least of the changes was the addition of a PCFC and a custom map on a dyno. It should rock. It is of interest to me that some riders say that they get roll-on wheelies in second. I've never had a problem there, though it feels like it's on the brink. I'm lowered 1.5" front and back, plus lowered seat. I'm relatively small at 165 pounds. perhaps the bigger guys on taller bikes get the 2nd gear wheelies with their higher centers of gravity. Or maybe my Vee isn't as fast as some. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey guys. Hopefully this the right place to ask. Went to dynojet and downloded a few maps but they are pvm files and my computer wont open them. Can I convert them somehow or am I out of luck?
Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Blair

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
:) The drag strip sounds like a whole lot of fun. Are you going to Kent?

Best regards,
Blair[/QUOTE

No, just out to Forks. I've previously run there and the Bremerton 1/4 mile strip. 12.25 at Bremerton. Running lean and balking at every shift there. Hopefully in the high 11s now. I need to find my timing slips for the 1/8th so I can evaluate my mods. Have you been to Forks? Very friendly bunch out there. Bremerton had a bunch of real drag bikes. Makes a 10 second bike look slow. I must have looked like I was pedaling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My "old" PCIII needs a firmware update, but......

after doing a bit of research I found that I need the "PCPROG" device that seems to be unavailable anywhere. Anyone have a source? :confused:
TIA

·
Registered
126 Posts
PCIII Firmware update didn't go as planned.....

Received the PC/PROG kit from DJ and attempted to update the firmware in my old 1.0.0.17 PCIII. Well, so much for that! Tried everything including following the instructions precisely but could never get lights on the PCIII. Also, the only file that was available was for H-D bikes.....WTF? :furious:
Guess I'll contact DJ tomorrow and find the "secret" to doing this!

·
Registered
126 Posts
After talking with Mark at DJ I finally figured out what was happening. Even though my PCIII lights were not coming on as the instructions said they should, the update actually took place. The entire reason for updating seems to be for naught though as I cannot find an LCD-100 display anywhere! Soooooo.....I bought an inexpensive Lenovo Ideapad for $150, installed the PCIII software, mounted it on my gas tank, and used it for displaying real time running info. Now I know precisely what my throttle and map settings are at the RPMs that are pertinent. I was sure surprised to find that at 75 mph cruising my throttle was only at 18%. Sure wish I could find one of the LCD-100 displays though!

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Thinkpad idea is good, I may look into doing that myself.

They have an Android app for the PCV, and I naively thought it might work with my PCFC, so after buying the mini to micro USB adapter to run the cable from the PCFC to the phone, I discovered it did not in fact work. App wouldn't recognize the unit. That would have been ideal. Bluetooth connectivity would be more ideal.

Your throttle position at cruise confirmed my suspicion that I was probably at less than 20% throttle while maintaining steady speed on a flat road. I guessed 15%.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the usual clutch/throttle chudder at about 3500rpm, would re-mapping or tuning my PCIII help with that at all? Trying to rule other things out before doing a Werks...although I am kinda just getting used to it at this point. A dealership installed the PCIII for the last owner, so I'm not really sure where to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got a used 2006 DL1000 a couple weeks ago. It has LeoVince exhausts and a PC III. The PC III will only communicate with my laptop through USB while the engine is running. I've managed to retrieve the map and verify that it tracks throttle position and RPM while running, but I'd like to be able to use it with the engine off. Trying to verify throttle from 0-100% with the engine running is not my idea of fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2005 Two Bros, stock filter. Stock DJ map. Decel pop and fuel smell.

Hey guys. Reading the thread in search of solutions, but posting my specifics in case anyone reading can expedite my remedy. I've read about trying Big V's map, or one of Chef's. Not sure what to do yet.

Details:

2005 V-Strom
Two Bros slip ons
PCIII running the M311-007 stock map from the DynoJet website
Stock air cleaner (to my knowledge, but haven't been in there yet)

Fuel economy sucks.
About 27-30, like others here have reported.
Exhaust stinks and smells like raw gas.
Decel pop in just about any range (usually only one or two; not horrible but not awesome).

The description on the Dynojep map says "stock or aftermarket air cleaner." My gut tells me that if the map is good for a K&N it's probably rich for a stock (i.e. the stock isn't giving it enough air, hence unburnt fuel in the pipes).

My next step is to get in the air box and see what we're running for a cleaner and if it needs attention. I'm tempted to pull the plugs for tell-tale signs of a rich or lean mixture (though, I've pretty much narrowed this down to rich based on the smell). I've thought about starting by leaning out manually with the buttons, but I don't want to make it "too" lean and hurt the bike.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So, I went ahead and loaded the Big B V2 map. I think it's better than the DynoJet map. Still getting the occasional backfire if engine braking. Don't know if I'll ever get rid of that. I think this map is less rich than the DJ map, though. Exhaust is less stinky. Hoping for MPG improvement, but more testing is required. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just thought I'd follow up again for the permanent record:

Bib B's V2 map so far is the BEST map for my setup. 2005 DL1000, Two Bros, stock filter. I like this map much better than the Dyna Jet suggested map. Finally got the luggage unloaded and got to take it for a good run. Still some subtle pop if engine braking, but performs better than I originally though. Thanks, guys!

P.S. I've also got a ripper of a map done by Jet Tuning in Camarillo for this setup; it's no good for fuel economy and it boggs down low, but it unleashes the beast in 5k+ territory! If anyone wants it, let me know.

321 - 340 of 358 Posts