StromTrooper banner

301 - 320 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What kind of mileage are you getting now?
Riding briskly I get an average of 38.2 to 38.4 on most tanks like clock work loaded up with top case and hard bags with a tall MadStad ADV shield.

The last time I went from home to Rome, Ft Mountain and up 515 briskly to Blueridge, GA non-stop I was surprised with a 41.3 mpg, but I almost always stay between 38 and 39 while traveling and playing in the SE mountains.

I'm happy with it, the stock FJR got 41 mpg over the same route, my old KTM 950 with carbs would get 36. The Honda ST would get 40 and it was stock. The Strom is mostly naked without a stream lined fairing, so 38 is about right. I just love how it runs on REGULAR GAS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm "up Stromming" from a K5 Wee. I routinely ride very long distances. The Wee, loaded for bear, gets 50-55 mpg: stock. I'd be happy with 45 on the Vee.

A friend rides an K5 Vee, long miles, and says he gets 45; again stock.

Let me ask the dumb question first: "What is the purpose of a PC-like add on? Is this a technology that came down from track bikes?

I have a multi thousand mile trip coming up in a month and like the idea of the Vee as it's heavier and can take the crosswinds out in the great dry spaces and it has a bunch more horsepower for the long, straight roads between here and there.

If I'm buying 1/3 more gas to run the PC I'm not sure this is what I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A power commander allows you to tweak the fuel map anyway you like. If you don't know why the stock fueling sucks, then your fine. Keep riding the way you are. Around here guys with stock bikes that hate the DL1000 low rpm fueling prefer a DL650 because they don't want to alter the bike from stock. The older DL1000 (Vee) bikes have a lean stumble and the 650 is better out of the box. But a DL1000 is still a 90 hp bike, its going to use fuel. 45 mpg is very optimistic, I've never had a liter bike get that. My FJR could hit that if I was in the Rockies at 8,000 msl. But, no way would it get 45 at sea level. On the Vee it does not matter, no oxygen sensor, its a simple system. Fuel map stays the same from sea level to whatever.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone posted a good "economy" map? I have no idea what my PCIII is running right now. It seems really muscular from a standing start but 28 mpg is too costly for a 6000 mile trip (drive 6K pay for 9K!).

I'm also going to try disconnecting the PC and see what stock feels like and check that mileage.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you want economy, then go back to stock. You will need to have OEM exhaust and the K&N air filter is fine to keep as is. But a DL1000 Vee is not known for fuel economy, its an old design and leaned out stock you may see 42 mpg taking it easy. Be careful running it super lean if your exhaust is free flowing, you don't want to run stock with aftermarket exhaust at all.

If stock is too lean, you can use the Chef performance map on here for stock exhaust, maybe someone has a link. The cool thing about power commanders is the fact you can tweak the base map however you like. I thought about putting mine back stock exhaust because of the noise, but I like how it runs. Its a big difference between a nice running DL1000 with fueling tweaks and exhaust and a bone stock bike. Properly mapped they don't stumble, shake, shudder, pop and cough like they did fresh from the dealer. Its well worth loosing 2 mpg or so.

If your really at 28 mpg, I would park it and repair ASAP. Thats really bad and has to be bogging or loading up on to much fuel. When mine was that bad it had a really black exhaust with unburnt fuel in the packing.

Its all speculation till you find out what map is in there. You can load up a Big B Map on a thumb drive and have a friend or almost any dealer change the map for you. Its easy to do. Ride down here tonight, I can do it for free. :)

Maps for aftermarket exhaust: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/12806-pciii-maps-dl1000-2.html#post125652

Map for stock exhaust: http://www.stromtrooper.com/148853-post35.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm spending a Saturday with a guy that knows far more about this than I do. The tutorial should really help both me and the bike. He says he has some maps from this site we'll try.

I think the map being used now is "off" as the pipes have a lot of unburned carbon scum inside. Essentially for each gallon of gas the bike is using 2/3 of it and 1/3 is blowing in the wind.

We'll see if we can improve before I give up.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
Hi Keith, Getting the PC-III mapped right for your bike is key and you can tweak the bike from there,

Email me Directly at [email protected] and I can get you on the right path with some good maps for your bike,

It is not difficult to install them at all as long as you have the USB Cable and the 9v battery connector with your power commander parts,

Let me know whenever you are ready,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Blair, you've done me right many times! I appreciate the reach out.

Over the weekend my "Suzuki Whisperer" downloaded a map titled, "Big B." As The Big Guy has a number of maps on this site I can't say which it was beyond that.

I took the bike for a 130-mile spin and got 34 mpg. I took it easy on the throttle and loaded the bike with sandbags in both Givi side cases to simulate long-distance load. We're improving!

To your (or anyone's) knowledge, has someone gotten 40-ish mpg? I may have maxxed out for the type riding and particular setup I have.

I do have to add that Big B's map had no farts, burps, hesitation or chudder. Smooth from bottom to 75 (my top speed as I was trying to get a good number).

Sorry but I can't say what map we replaced. I am going to give it a few more mileage tests and try to get a good mileage number before my summer's excursion.

I am suspecting that the Heidenau K60's subtract a couple mpg's as my Wee gets really good mlieage on regular road tires.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
PCFC Fuel Map Needed

Hello gentlemen. My name is Jeff and I'm new to the forum. I have a K9 DL 1000, all stock, secondaries out, and a PCFC. I would like to know where I could find additional maps that I can download. The stock map that comes on the PCFC is ok, but someone may possibly have a better one. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
My bike came with a pciii I have since installed. I have downloaded the software. And im ready to start trying out maps. I have a few questions first. The map thats in it is working better than stock, can I save it? Secondly do I need anything other than a usb to mini usb cable to change maps? Any inpput is greatly appreciated
Randy

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My bike came with a pciii I have since installed. I have downloaded the software. And im ready to start trying out maps. I have a few questions first. The map thats in it is working better than stock, can I save it? Secondly do I need anything other than a usb to mini usb cable to change maps? Any inpput is greatly appreciated
Randy
When you start using the software it will become obvious, find the map you want to use through the software and it will then unzip etc. Just put the new map where you can find it easily on your computer.

I don't have the battery adapter for my PCIII, so I just crank up the bike and change maps via my lap top with just the USB cable. Only takes a few seconds. Yes, you can get you current map and down load it to your computer before replacing it. I've tried various maps, the Big B Version 2 is a no brainer if you have exhaust and it works fine. Not hard to see 42mpg if your riding sanely on the back roads. If your stock exhaust, then most folks like the Chef Performance map or the OMG. They all give you a base line, once you get started playing with the maps you will see its not hard and they can be tweaked to your liking.

You can use the base map and just add some fuel where its lean, thats what the fellows did who posted the maps originally, but the map R&D has already been done. Some where the results of a dyno session and are as good as your gonna get without a dyno tune yourself. The posted maps are good for their intended purposes, so no need to reinvent the wheel.

I looked at mine and I'm actually not running a map of mine, its just the Big B V2 I got off here. I just got back from a tour and I saw 42 and 43 mpg riding in a fun manner loaded with heavy luggage with no stumbling at all. Maybe I'm getting older and more sane in my riding habits, but I can see my fuel economy increasing over the last 2 years, that right wrist has lots to do with it. Since I did my last full service the bike has stayed above 39 mpg mostly even in town and I'm getting 41 mpg riding my favorite local curvy roads. I think its getting broken in now, I'm around 40,000 miles now. But, I'm 6'-4" and a large framed kinda guy who likes to hit the gym, so my 240 pounds blocks a lot of wind. I probably won't ever get 45 mpg even if I rode like my gramps at 87 years old. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Glad to hear so many are getting good use/results out of my old map, my previous 05 ran like a champ with it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Glad to hear so many are getting good use/results out of my old map, my previous 05 ran like a champ with it.
I just put it on tonight. I'll be giving it a test to see how it goes. The Cisco Summer map worked well for me so if yours doesn't I can go back to that one.

Btw, I noticed in yours it stated "secondaries removed". My secondaries aren't removed...will that be a problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I loaded it up yesterday also. Seems to be working well on a short ride. I topped off the tank to check MPG's after a couple tanks. I also have 2nd's still installed. My last map was SV Racing 05 DL1000 Combo Power with Economy Map and got 45 MPG which is good but cut out at lower RPM's. We will see what happens.........

·
Registered
202 Posts
My new cans will be here tomorrow and im gonna install big b v2 and seebhow it works. Id be lying if I said I wasnt a little excited

·
Registered
202 Posts
WOW!.... I installed my new dekelvic exhaust on wednesday evening rode to work the rest of the week and was impressed with the sound and how the bike ran with the existing map. But ive been busy most of the weekend so couldnt ride or change the map until today. But when I got home this afternoon I popped off the seat and plugged in the laptop. First I loaded criscokid and it worked better than the existing map but I had to try big b v2 and Bam! Its a totally different motor with this map. Smooth down lower in the revs and pulls like a beast all the way up.

A big thank you to those who have done the work so guys like me can reap the benefits. The bike runs as it should thanks to you and your expertise. Any how just wanted to say thanks. Im gonna go ride the rest of this beautiful sunday afternoon

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just put it on tonight. I'll be giving it a test to see how it goes. The Cisco Summer map worked well for me so if yours doesn't I can go back to that one.

Btw, I noticed in yours it stated "secondaries removed". My secondaries aren't removed...will that be a problem?
No on the secondaries, I thought about taking mine out but ended up leaving them alone.

·
Registered
835 Posts
No on the secondaries, I thought about taking mine out but ended up leaving them alone.
I probably should have phrased that better. What I was asking is if it would be a problem running a map for a bike with the secondaries removed on a bike without them removed.

I did a couple of short commutes to and from work and everything seemed ok. Right now the bike is in the shop getting a new TPS & the TBS sync done...and I'm in Michigan for work until Friday night. Saturday I'll have a chance to take a long ride and see what's what.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Im running it with secondaries still on my vee.500 miles so far and she is running strong and getting better mileage. Curious how much better it will get once I quit twisting the throttle so much

301 - 320 of 358 Posts