StromTrooper banner

461 - 480 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Weird.....I had a similar set up and next to never got under 40 mpg with my map. FZ1 is a gas guzzler too, not sure that is going to help your situation. Maybe you need a 650 Strom, I don't miss any of my 1000's and I am usually getting in the 50 range for mpg no matter how hard I am wringing that sweet engine out.
You're actually the one who gave me hope for my DLs. My old K3 was getting down in the low 30s (low of 29.7) toward the end of its life (ended by a cager), inexplicably, with a stock fuel map. I have no idea why...

Anyway, your tales of a perfect-feeling map getting 45+ mpg made me think I might be able to get the same from my bikes, but it just isn't to be. My ONLY last thought is that it could be the STPS- maybe that's completely off? I have no idea. I've checked just about everything I know to check :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pull those secondary plates......!!!!

You're actually the one who gave me hope for my DLs. My old K3 was getting down in the low 30s (low of 29.7) toward the end of its life (ended by a cager), inexplicably, with a stock fuel map. I have no idea why...

Anyway, your tales of a perfect-feeling map getting 45+ mpg made me think I might be able to get the same from my bikes, but it just isn't to be. My ONLY last thought is that it could be the STPS- maybe that's completely off? I have no idea. I've checked just about everything I know to check :(
My K4 runs better without them and they are not really needed anyway. Just another system that can go out of adjustment. The plates are easy to remove....just be careful to NOT drop the screws down your throttle bodies!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
My K4 runs better without them and they are not really needed anyway. Just another system that can go out of adjustment. The plates are easy to remove....just be careful to NOT drop the screws down your throttle bodies!!!!
My secondary butterflies have been removed. I was talking about the Secondary Throttle Position Sensor, which is still attached despite the plates being removed. If it's out of whack, that could play a part, right? I just don't see how it could play 7 mpg worth of a part :frown2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
No butterflies......no worries!

My secondary butterflies have been removed. I was talking about the Secondary Throttle Position Sensor, which is still attached despite the plates being removed. If it's out of whack, that could play a part, right? I just don't see how it could play 7 mpg worth of a part :frown2:
The shafts may rotate but no changes to fueling will be made.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm looking for a good PCFC map for my 2012 DL1000 that has Leo Vince SBK exhaust, and a K&N filter. Looking for a good balance between power and mileage. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking for a map for
2003 DL1000
PC3
Air filter: Stock
Exhaust: Delkevic Stainless Tri oval
2ndary Plates: Still installed

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have a 2005 dl1000 with k&n drop in air filter, and the two brothers racing m2 black series. i use the pcfc and used the pcv map from power commanders website. bike runs incredibly well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is the map that came with my 2007 DL1000 in Calgary Alberta. It has a K&N filter and two brothers exhaust. Works very well with no hesitation and good fuel mileage. I get up to 350 km on a tank depending on how hard I twist...

Do you have the two bros slip one or full?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to Exleper for sharing his map on page 22 of this thread!.

This map worked great for me. I just bought a 05 dl1000 with two brothers exhaust. I was getting ~30mpg and some weird vibrations in low RPM's. Your map noticeable reduced the vibration as of my test ride. I think the bike was running rich before and now it's leaned out a bit and feels smoother. I'm hoping that gas mileage will also show some improvement - will report back when I run out this tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on my last post. The map that my bike came with was causing it to run rich and idle high and gave me about 30mpg on my first tank. I re-mapped using Exleper's map since we have very similar set ups. I took a trip down to San Diego this weekend and average 38/39mpg on the way there. Huge improvement! My mileage coming back up looks about the same, or maybe even a little bit better - haven't killed the full tank yet. Anyway, this is great map, so thanks!

In other news, the guy that I bought my bike from showed me receipts from Jett Tuning and explained that this bike had a custom map created there a few years ago. He explained that "every bike is different" and that a custom map is really nice to have. He is supposed to get the map from his son who has it on his laptop and send it to me. We've been texting back and forth and I'm excited to receive the map and see how it holds up compared to Exleper's. It will be especially interesting b/c the maps were both created at the same place (Jett Tuning in Ventura), and we both have 2005 DL1000's with two bro's exhaust and k&n filters!

·
Registered
412 Posts
OH MY GOD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! The bike is so smooth at all RPMs, it pulls hard with out the usual thumpin from below 2k rmp. I had trouble keeping my speed down because the engine is running so smooth.
Stock Dl1000 with K&N filter.
HP 88.08
Torque 61.80
Thanks Cheff, I installed this today. First time I installed anything as far as maps go. I used it in a stock 03 DL1000. Bike seemed quite happy with it. If anything it may be a bit gassy at low RPM and idle. When you put the spurs to it though it really came to life. I would be interested if anyone has 1 for our long trip. It would be nice to pinch some better mileage. Long hours between 90 and 120 kmh. Not sure if higher altitudes is going to make allot of difference but we will be 3-4 days in the mountains. Juss wonderin......

·
Registered
8 Posts
2002 DL1000K2 Tuning Link Custom Map

I will post my map if someone tells me how I can do it. I tried a *.map and as *.xlsx and it wont take them. I guess the forum police got scared? I had all this written before I knew I couldn't upload anything.:frown2::confused:

This is my 2nd customizing of the custom map. In reviewing my files/notes, I added a little fuel at low rpm, low to moderate rpm to clean up some "stumbling" (the map was made in 2004 when I got the bike). The bike:

2002 DL1000K2
Remus Titanium Exh Cans
K&N filter
Airbox - snorkel removed, about a 2" x 6" hole around original snorkel
Secondaries are IN
Ivan's TRE
Throttle bodies were freshly balanced
TPS set
PAIR system removed (no map affect)
Gearing: 17 Fr 41 rear

Results: HP 96.3 @ 7900 rpm / Tq 70.3 #-ft @6700 rpm

I ride it 98% on the street, I have no idea what kind on mpg it would get off-road - the Strom and all the other liter plus bikes have way too much power and weight for anything rougher than a slightly bumpy dirt/gravel road, and good luck picking one up - that's what my DR650 is for. Aggressive twisty road riding and 80 mph cruising nets ~37 mpg. Taking it easy it gets ~40 mpg. Attached are the map and a gif image of the dyno data. I got the *.rtf files from the tuner and made my own charts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2002 DL1000K2 Tuning Link Custom Map

So you have to zip the files. Attached are the map in *.map form, an excel file showing the original custom map vs my customizing of it, and a gif of the dyno data in chart form. All bike changes were made to the bike before the dyno trip. I loaded some different dj/fuel moto maps, all were pretty much crap yielding mileage figures of ~30 mpg. The bike ran substantially better once properly tuned. The same holds true for my other injected bikes - the available maps are all very rich, and attempting to tune seat of the pants is a waste of time. I've never tried the onboard tuner that is available so I don't have an objective evaluation, but the engineer in me says good luck - yeah it will trim an existing good map to make it better, but I doubt it will take one of those overly rich maps and end up as good as a Tuning Link map. We don't have the ability to hold the load/throttle position long enough like the dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Map uploads

So you have to zip the files.

Funny I had made the suggestion to use ZIP files in a response to your first post about not being able to upload the files. Then I saw this post, so I deleted my response.

But thanks for uploading the files I have them stored for future use when I find a deal on a PCIII.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Installed a PCIII on my 2008 with Exleper's Jet map

POST 220 of this thread.

All I can say is wow ! It's like a different motorcycle.

I also have a GIpro ATRE gear indicator.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
PC III USB How do I...

PC III USB How do I...

...connect to my laptop? I have the PC III ControlCentre installed (version 3.2.1). I also downloaded the PC III USB Reprogrammer, but I don't think I need to do anything with this because my PC III USB is a higher version than 3.1.7.

I have tried opening the Control Centre, then connecting the laptop to the PC III USB, then turning on the bike's ignition. I have also tried all combinations of these steps, but there is simply no connection between the PC III USB and my laptop. The map screen never changes and never shows the green dashes in the windows on the right side.

I think the mini-usb plug is very tight when inserting into the port on the PC III, but it does go in smoothly. It is possible the plastic body of the plug is bottoming against the PC III case before reaching full insertion, so I will try a different cord with a smaller plug body.

I should add that this PC III USB was on the bike when I bought it and apparently is working fine. The PO told me that "his" did some comprehensive adjustments to whatever map is in it now.

Any tricks I am missing?

Thanks,
Glenn

Edit: Never mind. I discovered the trick. Also, my first cable doesn't work with the PC III, but is fine with my GoPro.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am sorry for asking a dumb newbie question--I am familiar wit computers and file formats however I have ZERO idea how to upload any of these potentially wonderful files to my bike. Is there a sticky for the procedure?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Power Commander Downloads

This should get you to the Power Commander website, manual download page. Download the manual, read, and have at it.

461 - 480 of 499 Posts