StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide whether I should get the Power Commander fuel controller or the Healtech X-TRE? Opinions?

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
Why either one, are you having issues?

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 the more i ride mine the more i find it runs great like it is. I supposedly have the bad ecu but I'm not really experiencing any problems with it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The TRE didn't make such a big change to mine. Better response and noticeable when switching from my bike to a friends. But still not that big a deal. Wouldn't bother again in hindsight.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The x-tre worked great on mine. I've a new ecu now but left the tre on. I'd say a pc would be better but at a price, four times the price where I live never mind the set up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Big B I'm having issues. Bike has stalled on me several times at a stop, one time downshifting, and once when I first fired it up and was letting it idle while I got my helmet on. I am just thinking maybe lean fueling from the factory, or possibly the faulty ecu? I have a 2014 and it's totally stock, in fact I don't plan on modding it at all... just want it to run good so I can ride it

·
Registered
115 Posts
My bike was like that to. I put the tre on and it never stalled again but would still puff into the air box from time to time. The tre is a cheap fix. Im sure the pc5 or pcfc would do a better job as it can rich up the fuel a bit where you need it and custom maps can be built to suit your needs. If you can afford it go for it but if like me your cheap and will move bike on in a few years the tre works ok. A g2 throttle tamer helped me to.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My bike was like that to. I put the tre on and it never stalled again but would still puff into the air box from time to time. The tre is a cheap fix. Im sure the pc5 or pcfc would do a better job as it can rich up the fuel a bit where you need it and custom maps can be built to suit your needs. If you can afford it go for it but if like me your cheap and will move bike on in a few years the tre works ok. A g2 throttle tamer helped me to.

I have had the puff n stall issue both with my PCV and without it, so that's not something guaranteed to fix it. I have an X-TRE that I've been waiting to install and will see how that does.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have found what I think is a pretty good primer about how the ecu works. It provides about the right level of description and drawings to make sense of all this. Just to be clear I have no business affiliation with this company or axe to grind with any other company. It is just one of the things I'm considering.
Detailed explanation on the BoosterPlug

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The booster plug makes the mixture richer across the entire rpm range, increasing pollution and hurting fuel economy but killing the lean spot stutter. The PCFC controls the mixture with individual settings for low, medium and high rev ranges. The low range is usually the only one that needs modification on bikes having a problem. The TRE fools the ECM into "thinking" the tranny is always in 4th gear, the only unrestricted gear, and has a limited, though sometimes sufficient, effect on normal driveability. The most noticeable effect is no longer limiting top speed to something the chassis and aerodynamics were designed to handle.

The best solution is a new ECM that seems to be easier to pry out of Suzuki's hands in Europe. Maybe owners experiencing problems can pressure dealers into interceding with Suzuki to fix bikes having problems. Not all do.

·
Registered
525 Posts
so i installed PC+auto tune for a few reasons of reasons.

1)bike stalled once in a while.

2) installed scorpion slip on + k&N air filter.

3) jerky throttle in low rpm 1st gear (a bitch in traffic and i live in nyc so a lot of it ).

4) my tech told me to measure speed and rpm at highway for my cruising speed and actually made the the mixture a bit leaner at that point to make it more fuel efficient (barely changed anything to be honest).

and of course upped the torque and HP ;)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Right. There may be rich places in the range as well as lean places that a PC or PCFC can address. A booster plug makes the entire range richer. A better map the new ECM can provide is the best answer if Suzuki can be made to understand the same problem exists world wide and just changing ECMs (ECUs) in one location isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones that don't seem to have any issues; but I'm just curious, did this problem start happening with the 2014+ model or were there similar issues on previous models?

It would appear that this problem is more prominent in Europe. Could it be related to the – somewhat recent – stricter European emission standards?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this something I should watch for on my 2015? I want to change the exaust eventually, so I will be getting a Power Commander, but that wont be for a while.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I still get the puff into the air box even with the new ecu, but only if the engine is cold and I blip the throttle to much but its not stalled yet but I've only a few hundred miles with the new and ecu. I thought the pc5 would fix it all! I've seen fuel air ratios on dyno runs and these bikes are seriously lean below 4000rpm. On my last run I thought the bike done a few mpg less than before with the new ecu but I need more miles to be sure

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I had looked at that booster plug but decided against it because as greywolf said it enrichens the mixture over entire rpm range. And I agree that a new ecu from Suzuki would be the perfect fix, but last summer when i contacted my dealer about these issues the response I got was "if there's no fuel injection light on there's nothing we can do". So even tho I find it unacceptable that a bike I paid all that money for doesn't run right from the start, I also would rather pay a little money for an easy fix than get a runaround from my dealer or suzuki :frown:

So I'm definitely leaning towards the x-tre bc as I've said I don't plan on doin any mods, just riding. NyMeTsFaN912 i'd be interested in your results when you install the tre... I haven't ordered one yet

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yeah I had looked at that booster plug but decided against it because as greywolf said it enrichens the mixture over entire rpm range. And I agree that a new ecu from Suzuki would be the perfect fix, but last summer when i contacted my dealer about these issues the response I got was "if there's no fuel injection light on there's nothing we can do". So even tho I find it unacceptable that a bike I paid all that money for doesn't run right from the start, I also would rather pay a little money for an easy fix than get a runaround from my dealer or suzuki :frown:

So I'm definitely leaning towards the x-tre bc as I've said I don't plan on doin any mods, just riding. NyMeTsFaN912 i'd be interested in your results when you install the tre... I haven't ordered one yet
Read through this:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014/217666-tre-vee2-solves-throttle-problem.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks bosnjo, I just read thru that thread. Throttle cable slack is something I was thinking about. I had adjusted it at the handlebar but seems to have slackened a bit since then. I'm planning on tearing into it soon and taking up all the slack at the bottom end and giving myself maximum adjustability back on top. I'm still thinking on pcfc or xtre...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just ordered a X-tre and a slip on Yoshi..

I did consider a PCFC but went with the X-tre, Not planning on doing headers so figured the Tre would work well.

I suppose time will tell.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts