StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have fitted an Eastern Beaver headlight HP4 circuit to my DL650 and connected it via a PC8 fuse block switched circuit with a 20A fuse.

Today I noticed the positive wire has been overheating, ( the insulation is melting on the wire and the PC8 terminal plastic has melted ) but the 20A fuse is intact.

OK brains trust what is going on here? Should I have connected the headlight circuit direct to the battery?

I just checked the instructions on EB's site; I should have checked this before. It seems that I should have connected to the battery terminals . Is it me or is the EB website a little confusing at times; written by a guy who knows his stuff, but knowledge base far in advance of his clients ( well me in particular)

It looks as if I have a self -made PC7 fuse block.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If your PC-8 is connected directly to the battery, as it should be, then there should be no problem having the Eastern Beaver Headlight relay connected to one of the switched terminals on the PC-8. That is how mine is connected.

That's the whole point of the PC-8, to allow for multiple power connections without having to run everything directly to your battery.

If all of that is hooked up properly, then I would suspect a loose connection somewhere. either at the fuse box or somewhere inline.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying

I just came back from my shed and checked out my HP4 wiring system and there was no inline fuse in the positive line wire, so I assume my HP4 set up was made to fit via the PC8 as you have done.

As the arcing was happening at the PC8 terminal is it logical to assume that the terminal screw was loose?

Next question; what size fuse do you have for the HP4 circuit?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a 20 amp fuse on the circuit the headlight relay is hooked up to.

A loose terminal screw could certainly cause the arcing and melting your describing. That's how the control panel on my hot tub burned up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too have my H4 connected directly to my PC8, but for some reason I want to say it's on the non-switched side. Because of the way the H4 works, it wasn't necessary to waste a switched port on the PC8. It shouldn't matter either way though. This has been my setup for over a year now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I too have my H4 connected directly to my PC8, but for some reason I want to say it's on the non-switched side. Because of the way the H4 works, it wasn't necessary to waste a switched port on the PC8. It shouldn't matter either way though. This has been my setup for over a year now.
Yes, it would work on either a switched or non-switched circuit as the relay, which ultimately controls the lights, is powered by a switched circuit.

I recently re-learned that as I installed some LED lights and realized I only had one circuit open on my PC 8! It is an always hot circuit and then I realized the relay would still be switched so it would be OK.

I think I have problem when I've maxed out a PC8....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am confused

I would have thought that if you were connected via a non- switched circuit your lights would always be on. Then again, can the lights on your model be switched off by a handlebar switch?

Our bikes have to comply with Australian Design Rules, which means we cannot turn off the headlights once the bike is running.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Connecting to the unswitched side works because the relays are off when the ignition is off. The stock wiring controls the relays. The wires that take power to the relays will be live but the relays won't send power to the lights.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crystal clear

That makes sense Grey Wolf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts