StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching here, and when it comes to the reliability of the PC III, I seem to read some good reports, and then a scary report.

I want ot add a Staintune system and K&N to my DL1000, and the PC III seems like a compliment to those.

What's the latest greatest thinking on the PCIII?

·
570 Posts
I added the PCIII this past summer for my 4K 1000. The hesitation/cough/spit in the 3K range is all cleared up. I would have gone with a remap with a Yosh box, but I couldn't find any dealers willing/able to help out, and I was sick of wasting away the early summer unable to ride. I don't plan on doing any mods to the bike, so the possibilities the PC present are wasted. But, the bike runs beeeautiful with it! I have about 7000 miles since adding the PC.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any noticeable improvements in driveability/perfromance. Glad it has worked out well for and I appreciate your comments.
Yes! Much smoother at low rpms. I have much better low speed handling, U-turns and gas station manuvering are much easier, not jerky. I have a DL1000 K3, I got a map from Drone on the V-Strom Forum. I further modified this map by richened the mix at low rpms 2500, 3000, and 3500 in a series of steps during a day long experiment. I am very happy with the results. Gas mileage is up, I think because I am running at lower rpms when cruising around Pennsylvania Dutch country (2800->3500). On back country roads I get 43 mpg pretty regularly, got 41 before. I get 50 mpg during long stints on interstates. I removed the secondaries which made the engine much more responsive. Passing, at any speed, is "energetic". I'm constantly surprised at how far ahead of the passed vehicle I am when I pull back in.

In the cold weather 20->50 degF or when I'm running in a fast pack I get 39->40 mpg now (I got 36 mpg one time before the tuning). Of course YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts