StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the issues I have read about with clearance on turns with the Pat Walsh Crash Bars installed on the stock DL650? They currently are offering the following setup for $379.99. Is that a good price for what you get? I was considering purchasing and would really appreciate some input. Any better options in your opinion would also be helpful. Thanks again!

Pat Walsh Crash Bar System PLUS - DL650

Fits model years 2004+
*Includes:
Side Crash Bars
Front Cross Bar
Bottom Skid Plate
Front Engine Shield
Stainless Steel Hardware Kit

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've been riding with mine installed for a couple of years now and have scraped peg feelers but not scraped any part of the Pat Walsh skidplate or bars. But then again I'm also running with a Richland Rick's peg lowering kit. That being said I don't scrape pegs very often at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this system protect the plastics and if so as well and/or better than the other options out there?

Dumb question but I am new to crash bars. What are the peg feelers?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't know if there's a comprehensive "crash results" study but I've never scraped my PWD set up. My understanding of peg feelers...and the ones I've seen...are small metal extensions of the peg, pointing down off the end of the peg...to give the rider a warning before the actual hard parts start scraping.

I like the look of some other set ups a little better but the ability to add highway pegs, lighting, and the flat bottom are functionally good. I can use the flat bottom of the PWD unit to lift the bike with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Pat Walsh stuff on my bike. The bike came with it so I don't have a purchase opinion, although, having used it I think its pretty good stuff and I'm sure glad I had it when I was in Big Bend NP on the unpaved roads. The first several stones to get kicked up and hit either the skid plate or the oil filter/cooler protector screen made a noise that I thought I should stop and have a look, but after a couple of inspection checks and the better part of two days of this kind of riding, it became just normal road noise and I was at peace knowing the vulnerable engine parts were well protected.

Now, the first thing you should know relative to your inquiry about road clearance is that I have lowered the suspension with Kouba-Links; supposed to be 1.125 inches lower. I also lowered the triple tree (raised the forks) the same amount. I either scrape the right rear corner of the skid plate or drag the peg feeler depending on if the bike is loaded or if suspension compresses rounding the turn. I'm a light-weight so I run the suspension on the light settings as well, so it compresses easily because of this. On the left side, I think the rear corner is closer to the center of the bike and I've never scraped it even though I've scraped the left peg feeler. I don't have a center stand so I can't comment on that clearance.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I don't know if there's a comprehensive "crash results" study but I've never scraped my PWD set up. My understanding of peg feelers...and the ones I've seen...are small metal extensions of the peg, pointing down off the end of the peg...to give the rider a warning before the actual hard parts start scraping.
and will catch pant cuffs. I would guess shoe strings could be a problem as well. Take care.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know that you are looking for unbiased opinions from riders who use our crash bars. But I would like to set the record straight on clearance of our skid plate/crash bars. There was a report on the original version that Pat developed in 2004-2005 that the right side of the skid plate could possibly make contact under certain circumstances (lowered bike, fully loaded, decreasing radius turn, etc.) subsequently, Pat re-designed the system in 2005. The current version of our crash bar/skid plate system has been track tested, field tested, and customer tested fairly extensively. On an unmodified V-Strom that is properly loaded with the suspension properly adjusted for the rider and load, I can state with confidence that you will not scrape any part of our skid plate or bars under normal riding conditions.

I have never had a customer complaint regarding a clearance issue. On the other hand, I routinely get emails that are very complimentary of the system. A number of customers who have had the misfortune of crashing or dropping their V-Strom have contacted me personally to report that the system was extremely effective at preventing damage to their bike.

That said, I do not recommend our system for bikes that have been lowered or otherwise modified in a way that reduces ground clearance. I also caution riders of our system (or anyone else's) to comply with Suzuki's guidelines on loading the bike and be sure to adjust (or upgrade) the suspension to match the load and riding style.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I have the PWD bars/skid combo, and I've never had it scrape at all, even at lean angles where I was asking myself "what the hell are you doing!?"

They're great bars, and are incredibly well made - even the mounting hardware is top notch.

The only time I've ever had to test them, is when I boneheadedly tried to squeeze past my Wife's car in the driveway, and caught my saddle bag on her bumper - causing me to have another "what the hell is happening?" moments as I toppled over.....tuck and roll time!

I was expecting to have at least some damage from my ridiculous tipover - of the likes of the typical blinker getting smashed, or fairing damage, etc. but NOTHING was damaged at all. My PWD bars primarily saved myself from embarrassment, as well as keeping my Strom from getting any damage from my poor driveway navigating skills.....Good Stuff indeed!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input everyone and thanks for your response Gary. Looks like once I can come up with the cash the PWD system will be a good way to go!

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I have the PWD setup, and love it. However, I have managed to drag the bars, very lightly, on both sides. The forks are raised 10mm in the triples and have 0.90 springs in them. I weigh about 180 geared up. Guessing that the lowered front and stiffer springs about cancel each other out when cornering hard.
This was on a very fast ride with some guys on sport bikes, on roads we knew well. Not something I worry about normally, but it is good to be aware of the possibility. Grounding the bars hard will unweight the front tire, wouldn't be fun. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i've got the PWD crash bars and skid plate on my 07 wee and love the functionality of them. the PO had put them on the bike. for me personally i like the aesthetics of the other skid plate and crash bars that have a "meaner" look to me, but when i compared my PWD to my uncles Givi set up, mine seems to be that much more functional...i was able to take a set of old CT90 passenger pegs and mount them up for some highway pegs, which is cheap and convenient...also changing the oil is a breeze as you don't have to remove or swing anything out of your way...and i had a low speed tip over this last summer in a parking lot and the crash bars held up there end greatly...they lost some paint but all of my bike and plastics stayed all in one piece!:hurray:

i've also never had any issues with ground clearance or scraping, and my bike is stock height FYI.

i do recall the PO having a weld break from one of the mounting tabs, but he just welded it back together and it's been holding up fine, but i don't know if it was his installation or what the cause of the failure was? as the whole system is in really good shape? and he never dropped it?

so aesthetically to me i like the others better, but when it comes down to functionality and versatility i would say you can't beat the PWD crash bar skid plate set up...

my 0.02...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One last question. Anyone know of a current coupon code that will work when purchasing the Pat Walsh Crash Bar System on the internet? Just thought this might allow me to move on the purchase quicker than without one.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts