StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just joined..

I'm taking a hard look at the '18 Vstrom 1000XT. I currently have a Harley Road King which has been wonderful but I'm thinking about a different type of bike now. My wife has plenty of room on the RK but I'm wondering how comfortable she'd be on the Vstrom? I'm sure there'll be less heat but how is the seat comfort and the leg room? She is used to a back rest as well but I imagine there's an aftermarket version some where. We usually ride for a couple of hours then a quick pit stop and we're off again. She's 5'5 /120. I'm sure it'll handle well given it's likely 250lbs lighter.

Thanks for your input!

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
It has more hp than the RK, and will most certainly work well for 2 up. The stock seat isn't so great for most, and with a seat like the Corbin, you can get a nice removable/adjustable back rest. You are both moving to a standard seating position, a bit like a big dirt bike. I have ridden so many different kinds of bikes, and for ME the big ADV bikes like this are the most comfy for even long distance. Seating for the passenger can get a bit more cramped or harder to mount/dismount the bike with panniers mounted, and this bike is TALL compared to what you are used to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nothing can beat the comfort of a cruiser for a passenger, but 18 Vee is really good, as far as leg room goes. She'll definitely feel like she's WAY up there, after King. Stock seat is not bad at all, but again after King you might find yourself wanting to upgrade. Don't have to get expensive seats, btw.. can send them to get re-foamed. I had mine done for $150 and it drastically improved the comfort (7 hour 2up days are just fine).
I would start by going to a dealer and just sitting together on the bike. Should give you both a pretty good idea, room-wise.
Also.. you don't necessarily have to get a back rest if you're going to get a top box. Top boxes make for great back rests (most have optional soft pads)

·
Administrator
16,794 Posts
True about the top cases having a back pad option, but they most certainly aren't soft "so says my wife". :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a ‘16 650 but it’s similar enough to your 1000 to provide some input. My wife was amazed at how comfortable the pillion is. She’s happy enough on the Strom that I might be putting my Goldwing up for sale. Of course it’s not the same as sitting on the “couch like” Wing but she enjoys it. The longer suspension smooths the ride out nicely. I use a top case without the pad as her backrest. Side cases definitely make mounting the bike more difficult for her. We’re both over half a century old so she’s not quite as limber as she used to be.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I ride two up often with my '18 XT and my wife uses the top case as a back rest. I bought the Shad SH48 and backrest kit. She reports that the backrest is pretty good. I haven't seen any other top case with a similar back rest.

Here are a couple of pics with the Shad SH48 and the Shad SH23 side cases.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curious, when does Suzuki typically release the next model year? I wonder if they'll include cruise control as that's about the only non-positive press feedback i can find on the bike. My RK has it and i love it put i'm sure there's an aftermarket throttle lock that works just as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ride two up often with my '18 XT and my wife uses the top case as a back rest. I bought the Shad SH48 and backrest kit. She reports that the backrest is pretty good. I haven't seen any other top case with a similar back rest.

Holy cow that looks more comfortable than any of the chairs I have at home!

·
Registered
277 Posts
i'm sure there's an aftermarket throttle lock that works just as well.
To put it simply: no. No throttle lock can ever match real cruise control. The best a throttle lock can do is to keep the throttle open in exactly the same position. However, if you set it at 70 on a flat road and get to a hill, your speed can easily drop to 60. Hit a steep downhill section and you can be doing 80.

Throttle lock is an incredibly useful gadget which allows you to shake off your tired hand/wrist on long rides and on a flat road it can keep the speed very steady, but cruise control it is not. I've had cruise set on my FJR for many miles at a time, ups and downs.. no corrections needed.

I bet real cruise will eventually be offered on these bikes. They're already throttle-by-wire.. not a huge leap from this point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the local dealer today. They had a new yellow XT, marked down to $11,999 plus freight. The bike felt good and the passenger section was wider than I thought. Seat felt good overall but I'll come back Saturday with my wife so she can see what it feels like. Unfortunately they don't allow test rides - I guess I understand as they are a small dealer but I won't buy a bike I can't test. Are all Suzuki dealerships like this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks Joe, these look pretty good, not too big or bulky looking

·
Registered
277 Posts
Went to the local dealer today. They had a new yellow XT, marked down to $11,999 plus freight. The bike felt good and the passenger section was wider than I thought. Seat felt good overall but I'll come back Saturday with my wife so she can see what it feels like. Unfortunately they don't allow test rides - I guess I understand as they are a small dealer but I won't buy a bike I can't test. Are all Suzuki dealerships like this?

No! The dealer by me offers demo rides. Can schedule appointment online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Unfortunately they don't allow test rides - I guess I understand as they are a small dealer but I won't buy a bike I can't test. Are all Suzuki dealerships like this?
Out west test rides at dealers are rare. Call around to different dealers. None of the big ones I went to allowed test rides but I was able to ride my 650 from a smaller dealer.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My wife and I use a stock gel seat on our '06 Vee. We both can do many hours on it per day in relative comfort. She feels much more comfortable with a top case on the back and we're ATGATT so there's no problem with the minimal pad on the case. Good legroom, pretty good seat and good suspension makes for a pretty comfortable ride. Better than a cruiser on back roads, for sure. Stroms suck up the potholes and bumps much better. We've travelled many thousands of miles on the Vee. And my advice on a cruise control is don't do it. Use a wrist saver and always stay in control of the throttle. I've nearly fallen asleep riding and with a cruise control, it would be much easier to fall asleep. I'm older than most here, so maybe it's an age issue but it's true, nonetheless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bobby, I've been ok with the cruise on my Road King, just have to pay attention like you said. It makes for nice temporary relief on a long intersate ride.

We'll see what my wife thinks at dealer tomorrow. Too bad that there's no test ride. May have to go out of the area to find one.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I came over to a 2012 DL650 from a Road King. My girlfriend and I logged a lot of miles on the RK, but once she got on the V-Strom, she said she had a lot more room, and the seating position was more comfortable for her. I later switched to a Super Tenere, and she likes that seating position even better. She's about 5'7" or 5'8".

Both bikes are tall. She definitely has more trouble getting on the ADV style bikes than she did the Road King, so in that area, the RK was ahead. However, she's probably put about 50,000 passenger miles on both bikes combined, so the extra gymnastics required for her to get on haven't been a deterrent.

I've never replaced a seat on either bike (though that doesn't mean they're good seats) We sat on a 2014 DL1000 when I was bike shopping, but the stock seat didn't leave any quick impressions on either of us as to how good or bad it would be. I prefer the S10 stock seat to the V-Strom, but she liked the seat on the V-Strom better.

My passenger backrest, which has now been on both the V-Strom and the Super Tenere, is a 20 dollar WalMart ATV seat cushion. I folded it in half, stuffed an extra piece of foam inside, hand sewed the edges together, and then strapped it to my top case with a couple of quick release straps. She loves it, and says it's very comfortable on her back.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts