Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 07 1K developed a bad case of road rash on my glossy blue tank this past weekend near the end of a 300 mile road trip in the Los Angeles and Los Padres National Forests. I would appreciate any recommendations on solutions you've used.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,404 Posts
Touch up paint on road rash.....usually looks just as bad as the road rash. Depending on the size of the damage maybe a nice sticker to cover it? Only way to make it look good is a repaint or order a new panel.

Aluminum does not like to bend back into position. It prefers to crack. Since this is a brake pedal, do you want to take the chance it will break off under a heavy foot? If you do try it, use a propane torch to get it very hot before you try to bend it back. It can make the difference in cracking...or not. Meanwhile if you find one online it is probably money well spent.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad you're ok. As for the bike, I would look into local automotive body shops. They can match the paint code, and most of them will spray motorcycle parts if you bring them in off the bike. I had a local Toyota body shop repaint a tank for me one time, and they charged me 175.00. The quality was exceptional. I had them change it from blue to black, and the black looked like glass.

If your tank got dented, then it's probably best to try to find a straight one on ebay.

Lucas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Colorrite.com is the source for oem touch up paint. I recently had very good luck with them, matching up the paint on an '07 SV650. It worked on the painted metal as well as the plastic. I did sand down the deeper scratches first, then applied the paint. In some sections you couldn't see it from 5 feet away.
Sorry 'bout the separated shoulder, I'm not sure it's better than a broken collarbone, I've had both.
Agree on the brake pedal, I wouldn't try to straighten it, I'd replace it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go figure. . . Sometimes the insurance claim IS the way to go

Thanks for those replies guys. Here's hoping the my 1K is back in action in a month. . . Safe riding guys.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Hi all, My 07 1K developed a bad case of road rash on my glossy blue tank this past weekend. Both bike and body suffered a few setbacks. Good news - shoulder separation not broken collarbone. Anyway, also could use any online parts store recommendations on brake pedal (I'm going to try and bend the tip back out first as it worked to get me home) and right blinker assembly. The bike dumped "itself" over the first week I had it 4 months ago (guess what - they make kick stands to go down ALL the way).
Welcome to the forum 071KVstrom. Glad you injury wasn't serious. You might want to rethink your concept of "breakin-in" your ride. :biggrinjester:
Bikebandit & CheapCycle Parts both offer OEM parts. I've also had some luck with E-Bay and the classifieds here and the other Strom forum. Hope you heal up and get back on the road soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
bikebandit.com is great. so is mrcycles.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.