StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a great first post :) I bought a 2015 Vstrom 650 XT couple of months ago, crashed/totaled it last month, and now buying it back from insurance. I was going to let it go but it is nicely setup and I was having hard time finding equivalent for a reasonable price.

Now, I am in the process of rebuilding salvaged Vstrom (first time experiment for me). I am yet to have the bike delivered so I may need more stuff after I look at it closely.

Here is my current list. Other than searching the for sale forum here and eBay, what are the other good sources to find these? I have heard of salvage yards but never been to one. I am in Atlanta. Let me know if anyone already has any of these.

CategoryDescriptionPart Number
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGRT Cowl cover inner9446211J01
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGLT Cowl cover inner9446311J01
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGLT Cowl9443111J00
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGCowl front upper gray9441011J01PGZ
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGCowl cover inner9446111J00
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESHandlebar silver5611111J03YUS
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESLT Mirror5660004F30
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESRT Mirror (and I will need mount too)5650004F30
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESLT Handlebar switch3740011J00
FUELFuel tank black4410011J00YKV
FUELRT Fuel tank cover gray4417011J00PGZ
FENDERS, GUARDS, & COVERSFender front black5311111J02291

In Georgia I have to have the receipts along with the VIN number of the bike it came from for all used parts.

Thanks in advance!

Pic of the bike in it's current state...

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
All those cowling pieces and fuel tank I imagine you'll need to find a parts bike, as they're not typically parts people upgrade and have lying around. Sorry to say I don't have any salvage yard recommendations. GA needing VIN for cosmetic body work is baffling.

For handlebars, lots of aftermarket options. When my stock bars bent in an unattended parking lot tipover, I opted for and am happy with Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend. They're taller than stock and have less sweep / pullback, which for me provides more relaxed elbows and wrists.

If you like the stock mirrors, I bet you'll find some if you post an ISO (though the perch / mount likely will require a parts bike). But like bars, plenty of aftermarket options. Here are the mirrors I've tried.

·
Registered
2013 650
90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are GA online info about salvage to rebuilt title process.

There are gray areas. e.g. Although it says it can be rebuilt by licensed rebuilders, a GA resident CAN rebuild 2 vehicles per year. Found that on another inspection site.

This VIN number stuff is probably like that too. I can understand VIN for frame or engine but plsatic pieces? That doesn't make sense and I agree with you.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
When I did the bike in 10 years ago I needed a headlight bucket and the frame that holds it. i found them at some place in Florida. They were priced right too. I just googled the parts and the Florida place popped up.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I agree, go aftermarket on mirrors, handlebars & and windshield. Have you been on ebay for the rest? Sellers might be able to give you vin's but it's gonna be a hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!
I have identified few aftermarket mirrors with mounts (as right mount is broken). Way way cheaper than OEM.
Tusk T-10 handlebar posted above looks good too.
I already have the stock windshield. I am going to use that until I pass the inspection.
searched front fender but didn't find much options other than OEM. Are there any aftermarket that fit?

I am going to wait for the bike to come which is expected this week to do proper assessment. I was to make sure it will be safe to ride it otherwise I will part it out. Really like the bike so hopefully it can be made roadworthy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've rebuilt a couple of salvage title bikes, but in CA.
I wouldn't order anything until you know what you need.
For me the process looks like this
Get the bike home, photograph everything
Take off the body work, noting any damage and listing the damage on a scale of 1-10:
1 being "meh tis but a scratch"
10 being bike will not function or be safe without this part being replaced
and 5 being this part should be replaced but I won't cause me to die if I don't replace it.

Then asses the parts that need to be replaced, and the parts that can be fixed, (I can live with scratched body work, I can glue broken bodywork. I'm not going to ride with bent wheels, bad forks or bent handlebars or bent controls.)

I like to cheap out, where I can.
Aftermarket handle bars, mirrors, levers, other controls, sanding and painting bodywork, engine sidecovers and exhausts.

I take the forks off and check them, I do the same with the wheels (and while I'm in there I check steering head bearings and wheel bearings)

Then I start hunting down the used parts or if I need to, new parts, sometimes new parts just make more sense, vs waiting 6 months of watching internet ads and forums for the right part to come up.

But before I start on anything I double check with my insurance company that they will insure a marked title. some places won't or they will only insure for liability only, and they charge more for the pleasure of it.
You would hate to do all that work only to find out you can't insure the bike for a reasonable amount, (or any amount for that matter)

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the detailed reply! I am thinking on exactly same lines. First, I want o make sure that the bike is rebuildable within reasonable dollars and safe for me. Safety is #1 priority. I am not doing this to flip it and not emotionally attached either.
Bike should be here sometime this week. I will be doing thorough inspection myself before I start ordering parts and fixing it. Based on the repair quote from insurance and my understanding of how bike crashed, I think this is fixable.

Right now, I am making the list and planning to replace only what is needed to pass the inspection. I might do more cosmetic things later. I talked to someone who had this done on his Harley and was able to do this without a hitch. It seems having "some" parts replaced is all you need (with receipts) and inspectors only check what I declare needed to be replaced. If not declared, don;t need photos and receipts. He bought saddlebags from eBay and didn't have VIN from which it came from which wasn't a problem. Of course all basic stuff like tires, brakes, lights, turn signals etc. has to work. Found this good list for that. Not for Georgia but this stuff should be standard everywhere. North Carolina Motorcycle Inspection Requirements | MLG

Is it safe to assume I do not need to replace tank and tank cover? (5 from your example above ;) ) Photo for reference. OEM tank is almost $1K and cover $190. I might replace later if I find a good deal but don't want to fix it before inspection.

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror

I have another bike so I am not in a hurry to get this back on road but don't want to delay it unnecessarily either.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I rebuilt a 2007 DL 650.

I fixed the few essentials items right away (align forks, replace lever, etc) removed all the damage plastic and rode it naked till I was able to get all the parts watching ebay. After 18 months I had everything needed and then installed all the cosmetic plastic.

It was a fun project, and I got a fun used naked bike to ride and then it was like getting a different bike with out buying another bike.

After several more years sold it and bought a brand new 2013 DL 650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is not a great first post :) I bought a 2015 Vstrom 650 XT couple of months ago, crashed/totaled it last month, and now buying it back from insurance. I was going to let it go but it is nicely setup and I was having hard time finding equivalent for a reasonable price.

Now, I am in the process of rebuilding salvaged Vstrom (first time experiment for me). I am yet to have the bike delivered so I may need more stuff after I look at it closely.

Here is my current list. Other than searching the for sale forum here and eBay, what are the other good sources to find these? I have heard of salvage yards but never been to one. I am in Atlanta. Let me know if anyone already has any of these.

CategoryDescriptionPart Number
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGRT Cowl cover inner9446211J01
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGLT Cowl cover inner9446311J01
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGLT Cowl9443111J00
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGCowl front upper gray9441011J01PGZ
WINDSHIELD & COWLINGCowl cover inner9446111J00
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESHandlebar silver5611111J03YUS
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESLT Mirror5660004F30
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESRT Mirror (and I will need mount too)5650004F30
HANDLEBAR, MIRRORS, LEVERS, & SWITCHESLT Handlebar switch3740011J00
FUELFuel tank black4410011J00YKV
FUELRT Fuel tank cover gray4417011J00PGZ
FENDERS, GUARDS, & COVERSFender front black5311111J02291

In Georgia I have to have the receipts along with the VIN number of the bike it came from for all used parts.

Thanks in advance!

Pic of the bike in it's current state...

View attachment 296861

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand you have a HUGE request. As I said in my reply to you: YOU are able to go to that link to search for all the parts you need. You provided all of the part numbers so ordering them on Part Shark will be easy! Someone else shouldn't have to do all that work FOR you. Take the initiative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts