StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The front fairing (which houses the headlamps) is anchored to the steering column via two rectangular pieces of metal, sandwiched together and held in place by two bolts. One of mine has apparently vibrated its way out. Does anyone know the part number and or specs for these bolts? Bonus if you can give the title of the parts schematic it is listed under.

Was a bit surprised that these bolts seemingly do not have nuts to hold them in place.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You can take the remaining bolt out, take it to a good hardware store, match the diameter and thread pitch (distance between threads), and if it'll fit, buy two longer ones plus two self-locking nuts. Are those flange-head bolts? If so, an ordinary bolt plus a flat washer works.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The connection is on one side. That side is bolted into tapped holes in the frame. There are not two rectangles. There is a lip that will keep things in place even if both bolts are removed to help with alignment. A little blue Loctite on the bolts is all you need to prevent future problems.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Find the size and length........I might have a SS Allenhead Socket Bolt in stock......will send it your way?? PM if you need it (or two).
mark444

·
38,104 Posts
Having some time on my hands, I checked. It is an M8x1.25 hardened flange head bolt, 20mm long. Don't use an unhardened or stainless steel bolt there. The Suzuki part number is 01550-0820A if you can't easily find one locally. The fiche shows a washer which is odd for a flange head bolt. The one I took off had no washer but that doesn't mean much as I've had those bolts out before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for taking the time, greywolf. The remaining bolt is flanged but I'm pretty sure does not have a washer. I'll get some loc tite and see if I find the bolt locally.

Thanks, Stromtroopers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, this is the problem I have. Except I'm missing the lower bolt. I think that once one bolt is missing the other can work its way loose on short order. Thanks for the pic.

The connection is on one side. That side is bolted into tapped holes in the frame. There are not two rectangles. There is a lip that will keep things in place even if both bolts are removed to help with alignment. A little blue Loctite on the bolts is all you need to prevent future problems.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I added lock washers on my bike and it's been down many thousands of miles on bumpy roads since then. Still tight.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I added lock washers on my bike and it's been down many thousands of miles on bumpy roads since then. Still tight.
Tom, the photo that Greywolf posted is my photo. Do you wanna guess what road I pulled over on, to take that photo?

Rt 630, in New Brunswick, Canada, is sort of like the "Bermuda Triangle" for lost motorcycle parts!

(And, camera tripods!)

·
38,104 Posts
Black Lab is the go to guy for pics. :hurray:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Black Lab is the go to guy for pics. :hurray:
You made me curious.....

I just checked my Photobucket account. The "stat page" says that I have 5,089 photographs uploaded. That's enough to modify a motorcycle, fix a Ford Windstar, cook a turkey on a grill, and nearly build an airplane.

I think I will write you into my will, and leave you the password.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts