StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding a nice gravel road today and suddenly heard lots of grinding. Stopped, checked things out and this was stuck under the chain near the front sprocket, but exposed so I could see it. I backed the bike up a foot and dug it out. Looks like a chain guide or guard.

The chain is now super loose, but I was able to ride 30km to the nearest town. I am in the middle of a trip.

Questions:
1. what exactly is it?

2. If I’d tighten up the chain can I ride for a few days without it. The chain is near end of life and was getting replaced this year anyway.

thanks to anyone who knows about such things.

694C7D95-171B-44C7-A159-673937A01858.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It is the inner part of the plastic chain guard.

Check the rear chain guard bracket that is welded to your swingarm is still in place.

It is quite common for it to break off, this allows the inner guard to get caught up in the chain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plastic chain guard is still in place. Just floppy now. So I assume it’s safe to ride.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't think that it would be a good idea if the chain guard is only held into place / anchored on one end.
Item #17 in the parts diagram 2007 Suzuki V-Strom (DL650A) REAR SWINGING ARM | MRCycles shows the two tabs of the chain guard that fix to the swingarm. Compare #17 in the sketch to the chain guard on your ride and decide on the safety angle for yourself. Post a pix of the chain guard if you need more advice.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Often, the screw that secures the chain guard in the rear comes loose, then goes missing. If that happened, at least secure the chain guard with a cable tie.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
A mate recently broke the rear tab off his swingarm, he drilled & tapped the swingarm and made a replacement tab.

He chose to use a Touratech guard not a Suzuki one.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A mate recently broke the rear tab off his swingarm, he drilled & tapped the swingarm and made a replacement tab.

He chose to use a Touratech guard not a Suzuki one.
That could compromise the swing arm. A better choice might be a clamp around the swing arm.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That metal part that came loose, does it go behind the front or rear end of the chainguard? my chainguard seems wiggly on the rear end.

RLBranson

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part that came off mine was at the rear of the guard. Looks like some small rivets held it to the plastic, and A bolt on the swing arm. I’m getting a new metal guard when I get back. The stock tpart metal, part plastic guard seems a recipe for failure. You can also get one that says “ V-Strom” cut in the metal which will make it look cool too.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That could compromise the swing arm. A better choice might be a clamp around the swing arm.
When you see how thick the swingarm is a 5m bolt will make no difference.

He sealed under the bracket to stop corrosion although I don't think the end plate is sealed anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts