StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find layouts with measurements of some cone style practice courses that I could set up in a parking lot. Seems like it would be fun and good learning. Did some google searching, but couldn't find what I wanted. I've seen some MSF style layouts, but no measurements.

Does anyone have layouts with measurements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0aDhqd-sN0

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can find some diagrams and info here: Motorcycle Test - webBikeWorld

Personally, I don't bother with specific dimensions. Set up a scenario and ride through it. If it's easy, make it harder (move your markers closer together). If you can't get through at any speed without putting your foot down, well, that's a lesson worth knowing too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The box is 60 ft long with a 24 ft and 20 ft edge boundary. The swerve cue cones are 13 ft from the barrier, with escape lane offset by about 4 ft. Weaves are anywhere from a 30 ft straight down to 15 ft with a 3 ft offset and a 20 ft with an 8 ft offset.

Don't get hung up on distances. Try working your U-Turns to fit inside 4 parking spaces. Most parking spaces are around 8x20, so you box will be 16x40. The Strom will do this easily. Use the width of the spaces to determine your weave distances. Work down to as small of spaces you can.

I go to a local lot and practice my quick stops, U-turns and other stuff at the first of each season before I get serious about riding on the road and several times during the riding season.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A local often-empty parking lot has the lines painted at right angles to the center stripe, and 9' apart. I don't know the length of each slot.

If you have a place like this, try making S-turns three lines wide, 27'. Then tighten them to 2-1/2 lanes wide. Then two lanes. In all cases direct your vision to the place you need to end up at, not shortly in front of your front wheel. Counterweighting helps the bike make sharper turns but isn't essential---sliding your butt to the outside of the turn before the turn so the bike leans in and your body is outside.

On those same parking lines, make circles. Several circles to the left three lanes wide. Tighten to 2-1/2 lanes. Tighten more to two lanes. Repeat to the other direction. You'll probably notice that one direction isn't as good as the other.

From a stop at a line crossing, turn the wheel to the left or right stop, then pull ahead slowly making as sharp a turn as possible.

With the existing lines and some kid's sidewalk chalk, you can mark the corners of the 24' x 60' box for the two U-turns. Now mark 20'.

When you practice curves, be sure to slow before the curve, look to the exit point and beyond, countersteer, then accelerate gently. To practice swerves, use any city street or country road. Look for spots on the road to miss...a fallen leaf, a tar spot, a manhole cover, etc...and swerve around them with a quick push on one handlebar, then a push on the other bar to straighten. Be prepared to offer the officer a field sobriety test.

A tip...in a tight turn when you feel the need to put a foot down to support the bike instead give it a sliver more clutch. The slight added power will pull the bike up and pull you through. A Strom will do the course in 2nd or 1st gear, and for many 2nd works more smoothly. If you need more throttle than just idle, set the throttle at about 2000 rpm and hold it there with your index finger on the non-rotating part of the grip. Use your clutch as your primary speed control and the rear brake as the secondary speed control.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
The Lee Parks book used with the Total Control course has diagrams for all the drills.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Parking lots are great areas to fall down in....err...practise.

Just avoid those tall steel thingys with lights on top.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
You can also find dimensions for practice drills at Ridelikeapro.com . Click the "Practice" tab and they also give instructions on how the different drills should be performed.

Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used this one but one has to make sure that the painted lines are faded otherwise they can be slippery.

I like parking lots because it's a lot safer then practising on the street. Aside from no pedastrians/cars, if you drop the bike on the street near a curb, a minor annoyance could be a broken arm...or worse.

BTW...nothing draws an audience like doing a pile of Lazy Eights. "Look mama, is the guy on the bike drunk?" :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just practice doing figure 8's. Start with big, lazy 8's and slowly tighten them up and slow them down.
Riding a figure 8 gets you to practice all the slow speed techniques, and transitioning from turning one way to the other at low speed is an excellent thing to practice.
Setting up somewhere to practice emergency lane changes and braking after the change is excellent too.

Regards, Andrew.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts