StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked around and didn't see any comments on this topic.

i live up in the northwest where if you don't ride in the rain, you don't get to ride all that often. i enjoy commuting on my bike, and i don't mind getting a little wet. but what bothers me is knowing my wee is sitting out in the rain all day while i am inside at work.

does anyone have any opinions or experiences with leaving there stroms parked in the rain for a long~ish period of time?

i work a normal 5-40 schedule, so on any given day it sits outside for about ~9 hours. a side note, my wee otherwise is always parked in my garage at home.

any comments or advice would be appreciated!

a picture after a damp ride to work this morning

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You have a top box -- why not carry a waterproof cover? At a minimum I would put a cap of some kind over the ignition keyhole.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
I commute every day that there isn't snow on the roads, and my bike sits outside at work in the rain. No issues.

The only thing I do is befiore riding off wipe off the water onthe windshield area so that the water doesn't blow onto my faceshield and give the seat a little wipe as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
555 Posts
If it didn't rain while I was at work my bike would never get a wash.:yesnod:

·
Registered
237 Posts
My bike lives 24/7 outside in the Northwet. That's one of the reasons I like the Vee, I don't feel like I've got a garage queen that'll be spoiled by a little rain.

Issues? I've got a bit of corrosion showing up around the steering nut but it is so minor and has accumulated so slowly, I 'm not even concerned. My saddle has shown a bit more wear, you might want to consider protecting it from the sun.:green_lol:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the comments!

i have thought about the rain cover, since MikeB mentioned i have a top box, but i wonder if throwing a cover over a wet bike would be better or worse? as fresh air would be better?

on really rainy days i have taken a towel and covered my dash and handlebars as i was concerned about that area.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts
thanks for the comments!

i have thought about the rain cover, since MikeB mentioned i have a top box, but i wonder if throwing a cover over a wet bike would be better or worse? as fresh air would be better?

on really rainy days i have taken a towel and covered my dash and handlebars as i was concerned about that area.
I don't no as I'd throw a cover on a wet bike either, but I'd certainly put a cover on a bike that was going to regularly sit in a parking lot 9 hours every day on days that it was still dry when I parked it, it it begins to rain, you'll have a drty bike at least when you first get on, it would also keep the UV away

I have a Nelson Rigg EV2000? half cover, rolls into a small pouch that could fit under your seat if not much else is there

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
With 164,000 km (about 102,000 miles) the only issue I have had is the leather on my Corbin seat has started to come apart and the front of my iPod shows damage from the sun (It sits inside a ram Aquabox and last summer I didn't think of getting it out of the sun on hot days.) I had a leather guy patch up the seat for me.

Besides being parked at work all the time exposed to sun and rain, the only areas where there has been any rust has been on some of the aftermarket accessories (especially my higway pegs,) and that is more likely from riding on salt covered roads than from water.

..Tom

G

·
Nothing to report with the Wee but previous bikes (Brand H) have had:
Rusting front wheel bearings (three sets)
Fork oil quickly turning to chocolate pudding from water (twice)
Sticky brake pistons due to accumulated road salt and grunge (ongoing issues)

I'm not sure if these issues came from daily riding in the rain or being parked all day in the rain.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't no as I'd throw a cover on a wet bike either, but I'd certainly put a cover on a bike that was going to regularly sit in a parking lot 9 hours every day on days that it was still dry when I parked it, it it begins to rain, you'll have a drty bike at least when you first get on, it would also keep the UV away

I have a Nelson Rigg EV2000? half cover, rolls into a small pouch that could fit under your seat if not much else is there
i like the look of that Nelso Rigg EV2000! i might have to get one of those...or i might opt for the full size cover as well.

i haven't considered the UV damage yet either and that's a good point. looks like one of my next purchases will be a cover of some sort.

i will definitely use a cover if the bike is dry when i get to work as i wouldn't feel comfortable putting a cover on a wet bike.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
randyo, what size is your cover? i am looking at them online, and notice all the different size options.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Is there any way to park your Wee during business hours so that it's not exposed to the elements? Is there an interior space that your employer could allot to you for this purpose? Motorcycles have very small footprints.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I didn't read every post but I have kind of the same thing here in Socal the bike sits out all day and it gets hot as a kettle I have been looking at one of these I think it would work for you to.

kwiKover by Laminar the fourth picture down is a wee

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
08 Wee here, bought new in 2008. I park it outside, day, night, sun, rain or snow. every day of every year. I do the same to my 1985 BMW K bike; it still runs like new.

Don't you do the same to your car? I mean, what's the problem with rain?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there any way to park your Wee during business hours so that it's not exposed to the elements? Is there an interior space that your employer could allot to you for this purpose? Motorcycles have very small footprints.
I have thought about asking my employer. I am one of at least a half dozen who regularly ride into work. But we have storage issues and they are building a new office structure and re-doing the whole parking lot (i work at a manufacturing plant). Not a bad idea to at least ask.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
On the Nelson Rigg UV2000, can it go on the bike right away? Or do you have to wait for exhaust pipe to cool?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

+1 on all the above. Like most materials, it's no big deal if it gets wet; you just don't want it to stay wet. I'll take ventilation over trapping moisture under a cover, in a heartbeat. As Randy says, if it's dry when you park it, I'd prefer to cover it; if wet, leave it open.

Either way, as long as it can dry off at the end of the day, don't worry about it. You'll probably get some rust on the fork sliders and whatnot, but that's "normal". I use a chrome polish followed by a coat of wax once a year to help protect the upper sliders (between the clamps).

I'll also re-emphasize Randy's point about UV ... you should be more concerned about the sun than about moisture, though that's likely to be far less of an issue on this side of the Cascades. The cover mentioned above is excellent and easy to carry -- I have one -- but note that it will leave a great deal of rubber and plastic exposed to UV, so it's not as useful for that.

One more thing: it would behoove you to keep the chassis bits lubed well if you're going to expose it to a lot of water. This means axles, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, shock absorber mounts, and cush rod bearings. Some of them are notoriously dry from the factory.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts