StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God I hate Park. For the third time I left my Wee in my parking lot in that damn mode without realizing it (if it's daytime, only way I'd notice is if I stick my face right in front of the brakelight).

This time however I burned my battery all-the-way out. It's sitting in my apartment now on my trickle charger. Does having it totally drain screw up it's life, as opposed to having a partly charged battery left?

I wish I could mechanical disable Park mode, but I think that's just playing with fire, who knows what I'd screw up.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Try this!!

God I hate Park. For the third time I left my Wee in my parking lot in that damn mode without realizing it (if it's daytime, only way I'd notice is if I stick my face right in front of the brakelight).

This time however I burned my battery all-the-way out. It's sitting in my apartment now on my trickle charger. Does having it totally drain screw up it's life, as opposed to having a partly charged battery left?

I wish I could mechanical disable Park mode, but I think that's just playing with fire, who knows what I'd screw up.
You could always remove the tail light bulbs... :cool:

·
Registered
589 Posts
...This time however I burned my battery all-the-way out. It's sitting in my apartment now on my trickle charger. Does having it totally drain screw up it's life, as opposed to having a partly charged battery left?
If this were a NmH or LIon I would say that absolutely its bad on battery life to drain it completely dead, but I think this is an SLA battery, so I'm going to have to go with maybe. In general I'd say its a bad idea to drain a battery completely, but if my memory serves, SLA is considerably more forgiving than the newfangled battery types.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All three bikes I have owned have the parking light. After draining the battery a couple of times I got in the habit of turning the key purposefully to park and then back to ensure that I don’t accidently leave it on.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
After draining the battery a couple of times I got in the habit of turning the key purposefully to park and then back to ensure that I don’t accidently leave it on.
Yeah, that's one way to deal with it -- easier than dealing with a dead battery.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You'll be fine. It's no problem to fully discharge and recharge. It's bad to leave in a fully discharged state for a long period of time as then it's tougher to drive the Lead Sufate off the plates. As long as you fully charge with the trickle charger you'll be fine.

No Worries!! (well except on how to figure how to stop doing what you're doing with the ignition switch:-D)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Common battery industry thinking is that a battery has about 3 complete discharges in it then it's time for a new one.
That's exactly what happened to my battery; after the third time it just wouldn't take a charge. Since it was already 3 years old I figured I just get a new one instead of trying to recover it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know the point of park mode? I fell victim to it today and got around it with the pop of the clutch. I am just curious why I would want to purposely drain my battery.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Stop depressing the key as you turn it. Once it starts turning, release the downward pressure. I believe that prevents this kind of thing happening? I don't know, I stopped locking my bike's steering some time ago.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You could wire a small buzzer in series with the park light, that way when you turn it on you get an annoying buzz (I don't know though if it's a separate light or comes on with the main light though, in that case it wouldn't help at all *grin*).

I always do a double check these days, just to make sure I've not slipped it into park.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does anyone know the point of park mode? I fell victim to it today and got around it with the pop of the clutch. I am just curious why I would want to purposely drain my battery.
It's legislation, you must be visible when parked on or near a roadway. But bike have had them since I could remember, and as a member pointed out, it's not the bikes fault, change the way you turn the key, turn it off without depressing the key and it will stop where you can remove the key. Retrain your bad habits, that's all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You'd think Suzuki could add a simple timer circuit like the ones in vehicles that will turn off dome lights after so many minutes. Or add a flashing reminder on the gauge.

So far, the Park mode hasn't bitten me yet. I make it a habit to look at the ignition switch each time I lock the steering to make sure it is not in Park.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
2 pages on the pitfalls of park mode? Really? How about just not using it? I never have in 45 years of riding and have never lost a bike, I'll take my chances.:green_lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Legal requirement in the UK

The park mode is a legal requirement in the UK from what I can find. Unfortunately it bites a couple of my rental customers every year. I usually get an angry call because I sent out a bike with a bad battery. :furious: Then I ask if they left the bike in the park position. :yikes: All to date have denied this but usually come around. One actually had a guy walk by while on the phone with me and tell him his tail light was on all night. I always warn customers about it to hopefully avoid them losing a morning trying to figure out what went wrong.
Fortunately Yamaha does not put this useless accessory on the Tenere.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Stop depressing the key as you turn it. Once it starts turning, release the downward pressure. I believe that prevents this kind of thing happening?
Moving the ignition key from Lock to Park requires just a Click. The key needn't be depressed. This likely explains why some forum members are having the problems that they are having.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts