StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought this nice 12v plug/usb charger https://amzn.com/B00VF7HZF0 to replace the battery tender usb charger. Now I've let the battery tender one plugged in for at least 2 weeks and there was no issue starting the bike

As you can see the parasitic drain is not that bad

But this new one is three time worse

So how long can I go with this drain without having issue starting the bike?

Yes I'm already looking into a solution with a relay to prevent the loss, but I'm curious to know.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
It's best not to recharge parasites. They just keep demanding more.
My power outlets don't draw anything until I plug in a parasitic device, like my phone or GPS and over night it still didn't kill my battery.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Use an on-off switch? There's no reason to leave an accessory outlet on an always hot circuit.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I was wondering about this when I rigged up my new Garmin power cable and a red light came on for the voltage adapter. I've since moved it to the switched side of the Eastern beaver PC8 I just installed. The only thing I now have directly connected to the battery is the Warm-n-Safe harness.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
"I always put electronics that use any amount of mAh on switched power...."

That's a great suggestion.
Problem is that it's so easy to not use a isolating relay from switched power.
That irritating task of removing the body work and doing a proper job of it is a hurdle some of us haven't yet cleared.
I'm so ashamed of me!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe yes that's what I'm saying, I'll be installing a relay to power the unit, but I'm curious to know how much power the bike need to start. The batt I have is rated at 12A/h, so if I use half of it will the bike start?

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
That drain will kill a Lithium battery over time..ask me how I know :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sure there is..........
Right. I have my GPS unswitched into my Eastern Beaver PC8 so it doesn't power off at gas/rest stops. If I have to step away from the bike, the Zumo goes into the locked top case or my pocket.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
My investigations a few years ago told me that good quality USB adapters do have a parasitic drain where as the cheep knock offs do not.

I have my Garmin Zumo and a USB/cigarette lighter socket with a red LED hooked directly to my battery but I ride most weeks and never more than a month between rides.

If you like maths you could work out how long your battery should last, Amps into AH ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just finished mounting Zumo 665 mount and wired it directly to the battery for now, until I get a PC8 box and figure out how to connect it to switched circuit.

Any ideas how long before it drains my battery (if it even drains any)? I don't ride during the week and also not all weekends.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I want my gps unswitched, but I learned if I leave my garmin 1490T off but plugged in, it will kill the battery in about a week and a half. While on the road, charging a phone or headset while parked overnight has not been an issue at all.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Timely subject for me. I installed all of my acc. to the switched side of my pc8 with the exception of my battery tender usb charger. So if I want to charge my phone, or any other device, I take the seat off and plug it in. I do charge my phone while I'm riding, but sometimes forget. But I just ordered another 12v outlet, like the other two that I have, (waterproof, on ebay, seen one you seen them all type) but am planning on mounting it in the right side plastic, but wiring it to the unswitched side of my pc8. It will be more convenient than removing the seat.
If I'm reading this right, it will cause a drain on my battery just being there?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ok so I bought this nice 12v plug/usb charger https://amzn.com/B00VF7HZF0 to replace the battery tender usb charger. Now I've let the battery tender one plugged in for at least 2 weeks and there was no issue starting the bike

As you can see the parasitic drain is not that bad

But this new one is three time worse

So how long can I go with this drain without having issue starting the bike?

Yes I'm already looking into a solution with a relay to prevent the loss, but I'm curious to know.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Assuming that you should not drain more than half the total capacity of the battery (Yes I know it could be more, but juste to stay safe):

6 Ah/0.009A = 666 hours, so 27 days.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Timely subject for me. I installed all of my acc. to the switched side of my pc8 with the exception of my battery tender usb charger. So if I want to charge my phone, or any other device, I take the seat off and plug it in. I do charge my phone while I'm riding, but sometimes forget. But I just ordered another 12v outlet, like the other two that I have, (waterproof, on ebay, seen one you seen them all type) but am planning on mounting it in the right side plastic, but wiring it to the unswitched side of my pc8. It will be more convenient than removing the seat.
If I'm reading this right, it will cause a drain on my battery just being there?
If it's just a 12V outlet with nothing in it then it will not drain any power. The drain come from the 12V to USB charging circuit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assuming that you should not drain more than half the total capacity of the battery (Yes I know it could be more, but juste to stay safe):

6 Ah/0.009A = 666 hours, so 27 days.
Yeah let's be honest the bike will never sit for 27 days and if it ever does that mean something worse than a dead battery happened to me. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Battery tender makes cig outlets and usb outlets that plug into their little pig tail that hangs out from under the seat. Very handy for charging stuff, or using a air compressor right off the battery unswitched and fuse protected.
New Deltran Battery Tender Easy Quick Connect 2 1 Amp USB Charger GPS iPhone | eBay

Battery Tender Cigar Adaptor Female Accessory Outlet Quick Connect | eBay

I keep one of each on the bike all the time.........

Basshead, I just noticed that is what you were talking about(duh), just plug it in when you need it then..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts