StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Wee off of Craigslist. Seller insists that we go to bank together, I withdraw the money in front of him and then give it to him. Wont take the cash from me that he doesn't see a teller give to me. Said he's concerned about counterfeit bills, especially hundreds. My work hours are the same as banks and it will be difficult to get off work to do this. How can I make him comfortable with the transaction without going to the bank?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Could do a money order or a certified check from the bank?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just purchased a Wee off of Craigslist. Seller insists that we go to bank together, I withdraw the money in front of him and then give it to him. Wont take the cash from me that he doesn't see a teller give to me. Said he's concerned about counterfeit bills, especially hundreds. My work hours are the same as banks and it will be difficult to get off work to do this. How can I make him comfortable with the transaction without going to the bank?
Sounds fishy to me. You can buy a "counterfeit detection" pen at office stores for a almost nothing (a buck or so, I think). That is what the bank tellers use.

Or pay him in twenties. But don't pay him anything w/o a witness (a witness you choose) and make sure he has a receipt made out and ready to sign when you hand him the cash.

Or you could give him a US Postal money order or a cashier's check.

Scoot

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I had this same problem when I bought a Goldwing from a guy two states away. He was as paranoid as it sounds like your guy was about counterfit bills and such.
So what we agreed on was Postal Money Orders.
http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmoney/moneyorders/welcome.htm
http://www.usps.com/missingmoneyorders/security.htm

They are cheap to get and very secure both in terms of counterfit and if they would get lost or stollen.
I basicly sent the guy to the post office website to read up on them and he agreed to it. When I got there an I gave them to him he went through each bill and looked for everyone of the safety features to make sure each one was not counterfit.
I had them all made out in his name with his address and information on them only so he was the only one who could cash them.

I've sold and bought multiple motorcycles and never had been through anything like that before. Good luck, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I suppose his request would be okay, but only if you stop by a Suzuki dealer to first check out that all the parts on the bike are genuine OEM Suzuki parts. I'd recommend having the entire bike disassembled and checked. At his expense of course.:D

Seriously, I can't think of any legitimate reason to be doing a 'cash-only' deal. I'd recommend a title/lien search and be very sure that he's the registered owner, and that you verify his name and contact particulars.

Hope it all works out for you. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I fully agree with the theory that he's ultra suspicious of you as an act to cover something shady about the bike/ him. Verify he's the owner and possibly grill him about the mechanical condition of the bike. Also, pretending to lose interest can't hurt.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Tell him to keep the bike because you're not planning on being his little circus monkey. No need to jump through all of his hoops. Dude sound like a wack job.

Plenty of way to make a secure payment, certified check, cashiers check, postal m.o.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have fake postal money orders right here. I would never take them.

I had one of those foreign buyer guys on a previous bike. I strung him along until he sent me the money orders. They look great but are fake.

I got WalMart money orders from another. Whenever I sell something on Ebay or Craigslist, I get a bunch of scammers. They are fun to play with.

You should show up with $20s and buy the bike.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I suppose his request would be okay, but only if you stop by a Suzuki dealer to first check out that all the parts on the bike are genuine OEM Suzuki parts. I'd recommend having the entire bike disassembled and checked. At his expense of course.:D

Seriously, I can't think of any legitimate reason to be doing a 'cash-only' deal. I'd recommend a title/lien search and be very sure that he's the registered owner, and that you verify his name and contact particulars.

Hope it all works out for you. Let us know.
Plus one on that! You could also pay him in rolls of pennies or nickels. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cashiers checks, Money Orders, Bank checks... etc. can all be faked. He is just being extra cautious.

I work with a guy that got stung with a fake cashiers check selling a 4-wheeler. The other guy "looked" OK , was driving a nice truck and was really nice. He left with the 4-wheeler and the check bounced.

The last bike I sold I had the buyer go with me to my bank. He had a bank draft / check. I had my bank call his bank to verify the funds. He was OK with it. (he still could have canceled payment on the check) but thankfully all was well.

If it is a good deal and the bike is what you want. Pay in cash.

Good Luck

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm so glad you are bringing this up. I'm on the other end of the deal as I now have a buyer for my Road King. Tonight he told me he is flying in from another state and would bring the cash, then started saying how everybody's looking for somebody to scam them. I hadn't even thought about how I'd ask to get paid until he said that, but it sounded a little funny. Now I'm wondering how to ask to get paid without sounding like a jerk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now I'm wondering how to ask to get paid without sounding like a jerk.
It is YOUR bike. You are not being a jerk and you dont owe him any favors. Just tell him you want cash. Make sure he understands that you mean real green CASH. Some folks call anything cash that is not a "credit card".

Remember he is leaving with a motorcycle and you have a hand full of paper.

Good luck.....

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
These bikes are usually inexpensive enough to do cash. I was wondering how I'd take payment when I was selling my Titan. I ultimately sold it to a dealer, but my plan was as follows: I would take a cashier's check, but I would ask the buyer for the name of his bank, bank branch and someone there that could confirm the check. I would research on my own to find the phone number of the bank branch and call the banker for confirmation. I felt safe with this plan, but I never got to use it.

I've always taken cash for my bikes. Never had a problem with counterfeits, but maybe I was just lucky. The pen sounds like a good idea.

I understand the seller's concerns. There's a lot of scams out there. Yeah, he's a bit paranoid, but it doesn't make him a bad guy. Just a bit of a challenge to deal with. If it's a good bike at a good price it's probably worth your time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts