StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently changed the sprockets to 16/43.

After I put the clutch slave cylinder back on I found out 1mm or less gap between the cylinder and the mounting hole at the bottom (the third mounting point, without a bolt). So I took the cylinder off and checked to see how it fits...couldn't fit it any better and the gap of 1mm was still there.

No problem, right? I took it for a short spin around the parking area and it feels the shifting is a bit more...labored? I honestly can't recall how it was before!

Also while pulling the clutch in and pushing it, it is very hard to move the bike. It's a lot easier in neutral, of course. I can never remember how it was before I did all of this.

While riding the chain makes a lot of noise, but I'm assuming because the counter sprocket is smaller and there is more slack on the front of the swing arm and it rubs on the rubber guide?

So. Is it all in my head or could I have messed something up? BTW this happens each time I work on the bike :(

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Did you tie the clutch lever when you R&R the slave. I just did this to mine a few weeks ago. My slave went right in and had almost zero gap. I cheated though and did not tie the lever.

Your questions. With a smaller counter sprocket the chain will rub the slider more. So, I would expect a little more noise. Also, if you reused a chain, even a little worn chain, it will have a period of time when it will wear the sprockets until the longer chain and the tooth profile wear into matching dimensions.

The bike is always harder to push in gear with clutch in than in neutral. Less difference when warm and lots of difference when cold.

My thought is you may have been working against hydraulic pressure in the slave when reinstalling.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One of the bolts is longer than the other, if you mix them up, you will not be able to tighten the slave completely down into it's proper seat....

also, I have seen the kickstand wire affect the slave cylinder positioning.

that's all I got....:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
One of the bolts is longer than the other, if you mix them up, you will not be able to tighten the slave completely down into it's proper seat....

also, I have seen the kickstand wire affect the slave cylinder positioning.

that's all I got....:confused:
Good call gryphon, we may have a winner. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow.

I did have the clutch pulled in when I was taking the cylinder off and I released it when putting it back on.

I also made sure that the longer bolt goes in the hold that is closer to the front of the bike. And I made sure that the kickstand wire was out of the way. I took the whole assembly apart again: pushrod, sprocket cover and just tried to fit the cylinder in place (nothing preventing it from going all the way in), but it still had the 1mm gap at the bottom. I don't know if it supposed to be all tight up with no space or if that's how it was.

Can somebody check their V to see how tight it is mounted on theirs? Like I said, I will post pictures of mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all those contributed- got it figured out.

Pulled the cylinder out cleaned all around it and was finally able to get it to sit properly. Had to apply a LOT of force. The gap is still there, but smaller and the clutch operates properly now once all was torqued down.

Shifted through gears and it was back to normal. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and loved how the bike now felt :)

Once again, thanks folks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have taken mine off atleast 20 times ( don't ask !! ) and I have never tieded my lever. If all is right there should be NO gap at all.I have had the wires get in the way before but once they are moved it snugged up tight.!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks guys.

I'm going to post some pictures tomorrow.

I did have the clutch pulled in when I was taking the cylinder off and I released it when putting it back on.

I also made sure that the longer bolt goes in the hold that is closer to the front of the bike. And I made sure that the kickstand wire was out of the way. I took the whole assembly apart again: pushrod, sprocket cover and just tried to fit the cylinder in place (nothing preventing it from going all the way in), but it still had the 1mm gap at the bottom. I don't know if it supposed to be all tight up with no space or if that's how it was.

Can somebody check their V to see how tight it is mounted on theirs? Like I said, I will post pictures of mine tomorrow.

I put a clutch push rod seal in a Vee about a week ago and noted the small gap at the dowel pin during reassembly. It almost appeared that the slave cylinder case was bent slightly. Possibly someone had been into yours and the one I did earlier and tightened a bolt down with the down not aligned. But more likely that's the way the are. I don't have another one here to look at now for you. Someone else with chime in soon.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mine is tight on all bolts.I do know that I have to tighten mine down each bolt alittle at a time,kinda a Y pattern.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts