StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one lucky guy. My accident was at 4 pm west coast time. A mini van pulled out of a parking lot without stopping. I hit him directly in the side. Woke up in the hospital. Cat scan showed a broken clavicle and a broken bone in my neck. Good news...I lived..and I AM HOME! Super drugged out so i wanted to type this one handed while I could. Blood in my urine so I may have done some kidney damage.

The reason for posting this now is that hopefully someone who was going to ride tomorrow without the proper gear has a second thought. It saved my life today without a doubt. It was only a few blocks from home but I wore all of my gear anyway.

There will be allot of rehab with this, but I will ride again. And on another new VStrom. I will have to get another as I'm sure this one's totaled. I haven't seen it yet.

It may seem strange by I worry how bad the people who hit me must feel. They don't even know if I lived. They must be worried sick.

Ware your gear...please!
Peace,
Craig.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Oh snap....glad you are mostly ok man!!! Wear that gear people, cagers are out to get us.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Glad you are still with us. Heal up , and we'll see you soon enough back on the road. In your gear of course.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Glad to hear your (relatively) OK, and it's good reminder to gear up even on the little runs, which I sometimes don't do. I had a little accident last summer and an armored jacket allowed me to walk away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Perfect example of how easy and quick something like this can happen. The last few years for me I'm finding I wear all my gear more and more, even for those quick trips close to home. I tell my young Harley riding neighbor all the time, 'chances are if you have an accident on a bike, or more likely someone runs you down, you will be lucky to survive.......so put your damn helmet on!! But of course he won't cuz you don't look as bad ass with a helmet on.......Glad your still here to enjoy the rest of your life......good luck with your rehab and keep on riding if you can!!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
47+ years ago, broke my clavicle is a car wreck. In those days, they just let it heal on its own. It's not aligned and still gives me muscle pain and weather forecasting abilities.

Heal well, man!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK, don't worry too much abbout the blind driver that pulled in front of you, sounds like they are pretty self absorbed and probably only worried about their vehicle. I have experienced crashes with and without gear and I only have scars from the time in my youth when I was less smart about riding.

ATGATT, it's not just a catchphrase...

Besides, I think it's pretty cool to look like a power ranger or Swat team member :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I am one lucky guy. My accident was at 4 pm west coast time. A mini van pulled out of a parking lot without stopping. I hit him directly in the side. Woke up in the hospital. Cat scan showed a broken clavicle and a broken bone in my neck. Good news...I lived..and I AM HOME! Super drugged out so i wanted to type this one handed while I could. Blood in my urine so I may have done some kidney damage.

The reason for posting this now is that hopefully someone who was going to ride tomorrow without the proper gear has a second thought. It saved my life today without a doubt. It was only a few blocks from home but I wore all of my gear anyway.

There will be allot of rehab with this, but I will ride again. And on another new VStrom. I will have to get another as I'm sure this one's totaled. I haven't seen it yet.

It may seem strange by I worry how bad the people who hit me must feel. They don't even know if I lived. They must be worried sick.

Ware your gear...please!
Peace,
Craig.
That says a lot about your character.
Good to hear you're relatively ok

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
You're alive and planning on recovering - this is a good thing. Glad to hear you came through such an event with a good attitude. And thanks for the reminder they ARE trying to kill us out there.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Wow. Close one. Glad you made it and are going to heal up.

I'd be dead if it wasn't for my helmet a few years ago.

Get better fast, eh?

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
Dang the bad luck. Makes putting the "Stitch" on seem like a proper thing to do especially close to home where our guard is usually down. Most accidents, I've heard, happen within 5 miles of home.
Hope your injuries are quick to heal.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Here's hoping to a very speedy recovery for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing here with the clavicle ,Tom 45 yrs ago,so now all my shirts /jackets fit a little lopsided, a continuing reminder that alcohol and motorcycles are a poor mix ,needless to say ,self inflicted, Bob

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you came away in decent shape. Follow the doc's orders and then get back on the horse and ride again.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Musta been surreal waking up in a hospital!!! Hope they gave you some bliss inducing drugs to make your recovery at least a little bit enjoyable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So sorry to hear about your crash but glad to hear you're already on the mend!

Since we live in the same county I'm curious, where did it happen?

I know a guy that visited the young teenage driver (with learner's permit) that pulled in front of him and launched him off his BMW. He wanted to make sure she saw that he was ok and he wanted to encourage her to keep driving ... safely.

·
1,323 Posts
Dang. Really glad you're here to post and will heal up. Those are a few non-trivial injuries, so take it slow. Super glad you had gear on.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Heal up

KEEP RECORDS Get a Lawyer the Insurance companies will have them

Your lawyer will want to take the 2nd offer and make a quick buck and move on but your in charge

Don't post positive thing as they will use it as evidence your really not hurt

Brain (unconscious) might have lasting effects wait months before you claim health

I saw 2014 VEE2 in Maryland advertised for 10,999 just saying

·
Registered
92 Posts
amazing you are able to write same day as accident .

very glad you will ride again.

get a good lawyer , may be your jack pot

why so many deleted post , I wonder ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts