StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for some general recommendation on riding pants.

Coming from the cruiser world, and having worn chaps for the last 6 years, I know nothing about what I should be looking for.

I don't want to break the bank. Does not need to be waterproof.

any ideas?

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you want something that you can wear year round, you'll need full mesh. I quite like Olympia. Others also make full mesh. With the liner in they will be good down to cooler temps. I have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, which have a zip off panel with mesh underneath. The liner in them makes them good to below freezing temps. With the liner and panel out they are good up to about 20 degrees C. After that I find them too hot and it's back to just jeans

·
Registered
414 Posts
You might try motoport as they make some excellent products. depends on what it takes to break your bank I suppose. I have their mesh and love them but while they didnt break the bank they certainly did bend mine. I also have olympia air glide which while not the quality of the motoport they are also very good and less expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a pair of Tourmaster Flex pants which I'm pretty fond of. They are mesh with zip out solid panels that can be combined with 2 different liners, one is a lightweight wind proof material and the other is a heavy insulated material. This gives me a one pair that I can pretty much adapt to any weather conditions. They run about $170.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have Olympia airglide (mesh) jacket and pants. Liner makes a good jacket/sweater when off the bike so less to pack. They have videos on their site to watch detailing their products. I have some Aerostich and Motoport stuff too which is high quality.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'm looking for some general recommendation on riding pants.
Wait until late in the year when a lot of gear goes on sale. For good comparison info, check out motorcyclegear.com (used to be newenough.com).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have no complaints about my First Gear Kilimanjaros. Warm in the cold, fairly well vented in the heat, completely waterproof when zipped up, and didn't break the bank to buy. I make them look good too... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Firstgear HT Overpants and love them! I also have chaps but ride 95% of the time with my mesh pants instead of chaps because they are so much more comfortable. They even have pads in the knees so it's easier to get down and work on your bike. Zip in and out liner is a nice feature if you ride in varying conditions.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you don't want to go with the over pants consider the sliders Jeans with Kevlar. The are about $80.00 and look good. I wear Bohn armor under them and I can be protected and look pretty normal. I sometimes will wear them and a golf shirt with them and just drop my Jacket and helmet in the top case and I am work ready ( they come in kaki too)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I have the FirstGear HT overpants. Waterproof (so far) with a velco-in liner and seem to work fine and matches well with FG Kilimanjaro 4 jacket. The only thing I recommend is find some you can try on. I've discovered that not all inseams seem to be the same - my FGs ride up on my boots (32") and not available at the time in longer sizes for my waist size. If you wear shorter boots, could be a draft issue. I wear tall boots so no problem but would be nice if you could order pants an inch or two longer in inseam size than fitted waist size for long legged types like me.

Wear wise have been fine and all seams and zippers hold up well. Don't break the bank either. I got mine at the time from newenough.com.
Safe Rides
Bob

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you are of 'average' size and can buy off the rack, I'd suggest getting out to the dealers and see what is available and fits. You might get lots of great recommendations here, but if they aren't available in the dealers, are you going to order online without trying?

That said, I have some First Gear pants that I'm happy with. They are good quality and breath better than my older Joe Rocket Balistic pants. I do wear the Joe Rocket pants in colder weather as they keep the cold out better.

Your profile shows Toronto. Check out GP Bikes, Parker Bros. Also out in Guleph are Royal Distributing and 2 Wheel.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Take a ride up to Royal Distributing, just south of Barrie. Their selection is fairly good right now. I believe much of their Joe Rocket gear is on sale at the moment. Royal Distributing - Snowmobile Parts and Accessories. ATV, Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.. They also have stores in Whitby and Guelph, and they are advertising that their tent sale is on this week - no HST.

You could also ride out to Whitby to GPBikes new location. Their selection is always good, but they are typically a little pricier than Royal. Ajax, Ontario, Ducati, Triumph, Piaggio, Vespa, KTM, Motorcycle, Scooter, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel

But to support a supporter, look at the dualsportplus.com website, then call them as their on the phone or in person prices are better than the website prices. Their selection is not as good as the big stores, but it is worth the ride to Stoney Creek to get on their good side.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have full mesh pants but usuallly wear my Duluth Trading Company Firehose Work Pants (Men’s Workwear, Women’s Work Wear, Work Clothing - Duluth Trading Company). These pants are heavy material (the cloth that goes around real firehoses) and have been crash tested (by me and others) with no wear through or tears during a down. Pretty good pants, can wear as everyday pants (or workpants) too. Cool in the summer and with a pair of insulated underware do fine in winter. If you are interested make sure you get the full weight 11.5 ounce firehose material. Cost is right at $60.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have ridden almost 10 years in BMW's Summer Pants. Cargo style pants, comfortable, pads, great pockets. About $200. Not waterproof, cool enough in hot weather, and no problem hiking in.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Bar none, the best pair I have ever owned are Klim Dakar pants. I bought first pair last year in black. Well vented and great 3 season pants. I winter they are too vented and I wear thermals underneath. I like them so much, I bought a second pair in red this year. So now, I have a yellow coat and red pants on a blue bike. Wife says I look like catsup and mustard....can you see me now?

I also wear my Gortex hunting bibs in winter. So, then I am Mossy Oak camo with yellow on top.

A true fashionista I am....

·
Registered
122 Posts
cycle gear

I've been eyeing Cycle gears new line 'Sedechi'. I bought a pair of gloves reasonable, and they have pants that look pretty good also in a couple styles that won't empty the pocket.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
another vote for First Gear HT pants

I've got an Aerostitch Roadcrafter, good product, + on convenience, expensive, worth the $$, questionable

I've had Joe Rocket Ballistic... never again, armor is good, stitching sucks, zippers suck

now I ride with first Gear Kilmanjaro & HT pants, best bang for buck and offers resononable protection and good comfort, not quite as convenient as the roadcrafter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for the Tourmaster Flex. I've riden in the mid-low 20's here in Colorado Springs with just the windproof liner added (panels zipped in as well). The quilted liner is just collecting dust for now.

Edit: For short 30-60 minute stints.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I've had the same FirstGear HT overpants for about 5 years now. They bag at the knees and I've had the main zippers and some snaps replaced. The liner zipper on the right side is giving me some problems now too but all in all I'd have to say they kept me warm and dry for the most part.

The only time they failed to keep me dry was when I was riding through the remnants of hurricane "Bill" in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago but that was like swimming.

- Martin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts