StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum so i am sorry if this has been previously discussed. I have just purchased a DL650 2010 and i am wanting to put some pannier bags or cases on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what frames to buy and what bags that wont need much modification and at the lower end of the dollar. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
It's been discussed numerous times. Have you done a search of the forum in the question box above?
Answers will be numerous. Everybody has their preference.
Sometimes you can find stuff in the for sale section. I have a set of Shad frames that probably won't fit your bike. I'm waiting on a taco run that will provide me with a better brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been discussed numerous times. Have you done a search of the forum in the question box above?
Answers will be numerous. Everybody has their preference.
Sometimes you can find stuff in the for sale section. I have a set of Shad frames that probably won't fit your bike. I'm waiting on a taco run that will provide me with a better brand.
Thanks i will do that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I also have a 2010 and use the Givi E41’s because they have a small access door with a combo lock which is very handy.
Also have the Givi V46 top case.
All bought in mint/used condition for far less than normal price.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If looking at Givi racks and bags, get any part that you can with a K instead of G in the item number (Kappa instead of Givi). Same part, less expensive. Total savings on our CB500X was close to $200.

Tourand ride.com is the retail site for Givi USA. Actually talked to a guy there who gave me this helpful information.

Love my big old Happy Trails bags though. They are solid and package deals are available to make more affordable.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
$250 USD is not going to leave you many options. Your going to have to wait for a set of used racks to show up f/s and then determine what you can adapt to them for panniers.

$250 is not a lot of budget for a set of hard panniers :(

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
If looking at Givi racks and bags, get any part that you can with a K instead of G in the item number (Kappa instead of Givi). Same part, less expensive. Total savings on our CB500X was close to $200.

Tourand ride.com is the retail site for Givi USA. Actually talked to a guy there who gave me this helpful information.

Love my big old Happy Trails bags though. They are solid and package deals are available to make more affordable.
Problem is with a $250 budget the OP will not be able to be particular due to budget constraints. He'll most likely have to settle for a hodge podge of components sourced form several places. $250 isn't going a long way even on the secondary market.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a 2010 and use the Givi E41’s because they have a small access door with a combo lock which is very handy.
Also have the Givi V46 top case.
All bought in mint/used condition for far less than normal price.
Thanks, i think that is the way i will go if i can find any used ones around.
Problem is with a $250 budget the OP will not be able to be particular due to budget constraints. He'll most likely have to settle for a hodge podge of components sourced form several places. $250 isn't going a long way even on the secondary market.
Thanks for the tip. I can extend the budget but trying to keep it down as not to annoy the misses.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
"$250 is not a lot of budget for a set of hard panniers"
I say rubbish! I've gotten a rack set for $100 and a set of Seahorse plastic boxes for $40 each. There are several other commercial bags, boxes that some have used and seem to work for them. What I have may not meet the standards of the big buck aluminum offerings but they done well for me for several years.
If you have a limited budget, learn to understand what that budget will allow.
My top box is military surplus and it seems to be working well so far.
My Seahorse bags work as well as Pelican. I have some useful space to slap stickers of the places I've been too.
I met a couple young guys in the Dakotas once that were using plain old suitcases in their travels. Might not be de riguer
by the ADV set but they were having a rollicking 4 corners ride. They probably toured the country on the top of the line luggage set cost.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Might check these out, looks like a good deal to me:

Unless he's going to hold the Tusks on with duct tape he budget is blown before he even has pannier racks. You are also looking a products readily avalaible in the USA. It'd probably cost another $100 to $150 to ship to AUS.

For the record I have Tusk panniers on one of my bikes and bang for your buck there is none better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"$250 is not a lot of budget for a set of hard panniers"
I say rubbish! I've gotten a rack set for $100 and a set of Seahorse plastic boxes for $40 each. There are several other commercial bags, boxes that some have used and seem to work for them. What I have may not meet the standards of the big buck aluminum offerings but they done well for me for several years.
If you have a limited budget, learn to understand what that budget will allow.
My top box is military surplus and it seems to be working well so far.
My Seahorse bags work as well as Pelican. I have some useful space to slap stickers of the places I've been too.
I met a couple young guys in the Dakotas once that were using plain old suitcases in their travels. Might not be de riguer
by the ADV set but they were having a rollicking 4 corners ride. They probably toured the country on the top of the line luggage set cost.
On my old Honda VTX 1300 I fashioned some Harbor Freight Apache cases (Pelican knock-offs) as side cases and even a top case on the luggage rack. Where there's a will there's a way. For my Wee Strom I just brought home today I've ordered a proper set of Givi panniers.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Seahorse on sale, harbor freight, used whatever you can find on the internet. I'm astounded at the price of some top of the cost bracket new ADV style stuff is. I've purchased motorcycles for less. Great Gack!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Soft luggage is maybe the better way to go, based on your budget. Maybe you can find 2nd hand / used racks plus luggage, like Givi E21 cases for a good price. Should you go the soft luggage route, you may need some brackets to keep the soft luggage free from the exhaust and clear of the rear wheel. This you can make yourself or have made. An example Rear Luggage Rack - Easy DIY for $25

1 - 18 of 18 Posts