StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to try out the new Karoos and the fork brace so looked at the map in search of a dirt road with a view. Left Townsville and headed for Harvey Range. There was lots of smoke around so the view from the top was very hazy.

The road heads west from here and I was looking for Keelbottom Creek but I think Yasi may may blown the sign down. Eventually I turned north expecting a dirt road as the sign said, but instead there was a fairly new bitumen one with a bit of water damage.
This is the turn off and this is the sign hidden on the side of the road only visible if you're heading east.

From here it was a pleasant ride with plenty of wildlife to watch for. A couple of curious emus followed by three wedge tailed eagles and numerous macropods.

Eventually I found the turn off to Paluma and promises of dirt. Apart from the water in a couple of places I reckon my family car could do this with a little car, but not in the wet.
The road passes through a property called Zig Zag and sign inform you that there is absolutely no camping etc, I reckon you wouldn't be able to drive a tent peg into this billy goat country if you tried.

There is a bridge on this road that is a grid for its entire length, I hate to cross it in the wet and putting a foot down would/could be very interesting.
You cross Spinfex Creek a few times as well.

The bike went well over this and I felt the improvements in front end feel and traction we well worth the changes. If you haven't put a set of true off road tres on your Strom then you are missing a lot of the bikes potential as a tourer. I don't expect to get big mileage from the karoos but already I'm getting big smileage. ( How corny is that?)

This road goes past the turn off to Mt Fox and Hidden Valley, I'll do those another day. I stopped in Paluma for a coffee and scone ( how very quaint) then headed home down the narrow windy range back to Townsville all up 298kms a very enjoyable morning.

I'm looking forward now to the Bloomfield track and Cooktown. I'll post a thread to see if anyone on the forum wants to join me or if you can't wait send me an email. As a retiree any day is a good day for a ride.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the Ride Report JD, looks like a great place to be :thumbsup:

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Nice pics Drew.

So do the tyres make more noise [I would assume so], and do they move around on the tread blocks on the tar?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nice

A nice little ride, it looks pretty good out there. I always imagine riding there as I fly in to Townsville and look out the windows - may be one day, thanks for the report.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and then posting for the enjoyment of others. There must be some great roads in and around those hills Drew probably hundreds of kms.
I think many Stromers would be interested in the overall performance of the Karoos. I have had tkc80s and Heidenau tyres but not Karoos. The tkc80s felt good on tar and dirt The Heidies good on dirt but I felt less confident to push on tar but they gave hugh milage.

Saturn 5 Looking at those clear, see for ever winter skies.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice one Drew, thanks so much for the nice RR, great pics, it's what owning a strom is all about! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noise ? What Noise??

Nice pics Drew.

So do the tyres make more noise [I would assume so], and do they move around on the tread blocks on the tar?
Yes they do make a noise but not enough to be annoying. The first 200kms I was very careful and rode very cautiously around corners especially up the curves to the first photo stop. By the end of the ride I was feeling very confident in their performance on bitumen and I pushed as hard as ever down the Paluma Range, mind you I am no boy racer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm looking forward now to the Bloomfield track and Cooktown. I'll post a thread to see if anyone on the forum wants to join me or if you can't wait send me an email. As a retiree any day is a good day for a ride.
Hi Drew,

Nice looking Strom... Great ride.

I hope to be leaving Melbourne early August for my lap of Aus, i am planning on doing the Bloomfield Track, i hope to be up there around Mid August, if the timing works out, it would be great to do it with another rider...

I will also be looking for local knowledge of the area as i want to find an interesting way to Normanton from Cooktown

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I will also be looking for local knowledge of the area as i want to find an interesting way to Normanton from Cooktown
There aren't all that many roads up there....it's either the Gulf Develop. Rd. past Undarra Lava Tubes, further north the Bourke Develop. Rd. or the 4WD track past the Palmer Gold fields.(further north again and usually bad after heavy rains and rudimentary west of the old Goldfields).
A yet bigger loop north gets you to Pormpuraaw on the Gulf coast....but the Mitchell River has always been the crux up there, trying to cut south.

Anyway, best and most current info is alwqays found here:

Cape Yorker Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Lots of the members there live and work in the Cape.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next step

Off tomorrow for a weekend exploring the north. My intention is to travel to Cairns up the dreaded Bruce Hwy and stay the night with friends. Saturday we go to the Daintree and ride up as far as the Lions Den and back. I'd like to go further but my travelling companions are new to this caper and think that will be far enough for them theyre riding Yamaha TT250s. Sunday will be spent heading into the tablelands via roads such as the Gillies and Palmerston Hwys. I have a leave pass from home for as long as I like so will try to get as much in as I can afford. Hopefully the camera batteries will let me get enough photos for a decent ride report.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Off tomorrow for a weekend exploring the north. My intention is to travel to Cairns up the dreaded Bruce Hwy and stay the night with friends. Saturday we go to the Daintree and ride up as far as the Lions Den and back. I'd like to go further but my travelling companions are new to this caper and think that will be far enough for them theyre riding Yamaha TT250s. Sunday will be spent heading into the tablelands via roads such as the Gillies and Palmerston Hwys. I have a leave pass from home for as long as I like so will try to get as much in as I can afford. Hopefully the camera batteries will let me get enough photos for a decent ride report.
Load it up and off you go,hate you drewy,looking forward to pics and RR have a great ride,be careful of the "Meninga" a being in the bigfoot catagory who hates the colour blue and has been sighted in FNQ .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Great report,where did you get your fork brace and how much,i just put hiedis on mine and like the way they feel
Google Rick's Fork Brace (Adventure Tech) In U.S.A. $US91 about $87 Aussie dollars. Mine took about 10/12 days to arrive but they did advise me they were away at the time of my order. Should take about 6 days. Pay Pal is easy.
Brace works well, most noticeable when first installed but then it becomes what your used to. Good value!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Caution

Luckily the "Meninga" is friendly to locals who bleed Maroon. At this time of year there are usually enough blue bloods and Victorians around to satisfy its hunger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts