StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An amazing bird is the Pelican, It's beak can hold more than it's belly can. And so it is with my Pelican Cases from Caribou: they can swallow more stuff than - make your own analogy, my brain hurts from trying to be inoffensive.

But I digress............

Only after ordering, recieving, installing and crashing my cases did I realize that they are available in silver to match (kinda) my bike.

In the interest of safety and aesthetics, I'm considering painting my black Pelican cases silver to more closely match my bike (and improve the terrible aerodynamics).

I recently painted my helmet after enjoying that recent (and somewhat contentious) Hi-Vis thread. I used a silver metallic paint purchased at an auto parts store. This spray paint is made to paint over discolored aluminum wheels. The helmet came out lovely, the paint seems to be quite sticky with three coats needing to be applied in the course of an hour.

So has anyone tried painting their Pelican/Caribous?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Painting the cases?

Check out the Pelican site. Somewhere there is a discussion re: the correct sort of glue to use--MOST kinds don't work!
The plastic of the Pelican cases/boxes seems "slick" to me even though they're not very smooth.

My guess is that the paint won't stick very well.

You could sell your cases to someone and buy new ones in the color that you want...

H

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could sell your cases to someone and buy new ones in the color that you want...

H
That's much too obvious and simple a solution to be of any interest to me.

But thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check out the Krylon Fusion paint. They have two silver/gray colors, one glossy, one textured, and I think they have one that has a hammered finish, as well. They bond permanently with the plastic, so should never chip off, and if you scratch the paint on one of the Pelicans, just give it a quick shot to recoat.

I used the textured gray to cover up the orange plastic band on my JC Whitney topcase, and it matches the bike's paint almost perfectly. I can't scrape it off with a fingernail, so it seems to bond as advertised.

It's barely visible in this pic I took earlier this winter after getting caught in freezing rain.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
My .02

I used Krylon paint for plastic for painting the fairings of a bike that I bought that had been crashed. I did alot of prep work and it turned out pretty decent. However, by the end of the summer, I could tell that the paint had faded some (I used a black metalic) and there were a few chips in the paint from rocks.

I like the reflective material idea...might work better.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not plaster them with reflective material? You can get it in sheets.
I did think about that and alread have some tape on them.

I also want to paint the insides, you can't find a damn thing in them, especially anything that's darker than light gray.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out the Krylon Fusion paint. They have two silver/gray colors, one glossy, one textured, and I think they have one that has a hammered finish, as well. They bond permanently with the plastic, so should never chip off, and if you scratch the paint on one of the Pelicans, just give it a quick shot to recoat.

I used the textured gray to cover up the orange plastic band on my JC Whitney topcase, and it matches the bike's paint almost perfectly. I can't scrape it off with a fingernail, so it seems to bond as advertised.

It's barely visible in this pic I took earlier this winter after getting caught in freezing rain.

Is that paint or ice or both on the wind screen?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Have you tried calling Pelican customer service? They might have an idea about types of paint, if any, that would work.

Check out this thread by 'Evilone' on ADVRider - it's all about repairing pelican cases. I didn't get all the way through it, but I think they talk about paint experience...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks MT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Painted Pelicans

Want rattle-can paint to adhere to smooth plastic ? Sand it first with a medium-to-coarse grit paper to give a slightly rough surface for the spray to bite onto. Use a primer, too, before the topcoat. That's what primers do. Use a clear sealer coat last, to up the odds of it staying on.

I still like the reflective sheets idea. I bought my Pelicans from Roger in yellow to match the bike's color, but I'm thinking I'll add some black reflective angular strips / stripes to them facing outwards for better viz, & some yellow reflective panels facing aft.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nighthawk,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually took the effort to consult the Pelican site.

They reccomend Krylon Fusion.

The reflective material is good at night.

I want to present as large a field of a common color (silver/gray, the bike's color) as possible to enhance daylight visibility.

I'll then add red and white reflective "accents".

I am contemplating using a compressor/sprayer for more "professional" result if the Fusion Paint and/or primer are available thusly.

BTW, I'm also considering an aerodynamic "nose cone" for the cases.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would also look into a self-etching primer for plastic or a flexible bumper. There used to be products on the market called adhesion promotors, one of the cheaper ones was called "Bulldog" but I don't know if it's still produced. I would go to an auto body and paint store and see what products they could offer you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts