StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question and request for all you guys. I recently bought a blue 07 1000 and the crash bars have spot rust on them. I’m just about to pull them off and repaint them but got thinking about painting them something other than black. The KTM adventurer with the orange bars looks sharp. Has anyone on here painted their crash bars something other than the usual black. I was considering a blue to match the body colour. Post pics if you have done this.
Sean

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
470 Posts
Not 100 percent sure, but I think most of them are powder coated from the manufacturer. Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, though.

If you do end up re-coloring yours, I’d be interested in seeing pictures of the finished product. Or seeing pictures from other riders, if this has been done before. :cool:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I considered it sometime between the second and fourth time I threw my bike on the ground. I bought a can of brush on Rustoleum in flat black. Mine are (were) powder coated and it is hard to see where I touched them up since there is a lot of Rustoleum on them now.
Creek.JPG

·
Registered
2018 dl1000
48 Posts
if they are in good-great condition, i'd sand off the paint & get 'em powder-coated in whatever color suits your fancy.....

you probably want to check the welds before painting or powder-coading - a set on my old klr had a hairline crack at a weld that i did not notice until after i went thru the trouble to take them off, sand, & rattle-can.... i had to get it re-welded & repeat the "freshing up".....

·
Registered
15,771 Posts
I've buggered the finish on my SW Motech crash bars by crashing, what else? Rattle can to the rescue!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Rattle can. Powder coating is nice - until you crash, then it cracks. In practice paint holds up well, sure it scuffs but ... pssst ... and fixed.

·
Administrator
17,929 Posts
Truck bed liner or powder coating. :)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I've seen some bikes with parts "high lighted" and its certainly not my thing. .Paint them whatever color you like. If you don't like it or get tired of it paint over with another color. Its a very inexpensive experiment as rattle can is cheap.

·
Registered
2007 DL650
28 Posts
Use a decent self etching primer under the rattle can paint if you want it to hold up longer term.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I second the plasti dip, it's not a tough paint but it will tell you if you have chosen the right colour.

If you like it keep it, if you don't peel it off and start again.

Reactions: Charlie1982

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure I would like to match the color of the bike, I would stick with flat black. But that's just my option. I have found that using a high heat rattle can paint is less susceptible to scratching the conventional paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here’s the finished product. I attempted a oem paint match but it cracked off even with an etching primer and it didn’t match anyway. So I took it to a powder coat place. Not a perfect match but it works for me. Here is the before and after for anyone who’s interested. I could have gotten the match closer but my budget stopped me at the paint they had in stock.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Nice!

Mention the name and location of the powder coating place, in case there are any locals that might need one. Around here, it's hard to find good powder coaters willing to take on onsie-twosies from individuals and do a nice job.

I considered it sometime between the second and fourth time I threw my bike on the ground. I bought a can of brush on Rustoleum in flat black. Mine are (were) powder coated and it is hard to see where I touched them up since there is a lot of Rustoleum on them now.
This is what I do for my KLR and Vee. I use Rustoleum black satin; it's pretty much an exact match for black powder coat. If I bother to take a little care by sanding and building multiple coats, it's indistinguishable from six inches away. I usually use a small foam brush.

Brush on is much more convenient than spray and far less messy since you don't have to worry much about masking, and it's easy to sand and build up a little thickness if you care about it looking nice. If it's cold in the garage, I place a heat lamp nearby.

Reactions: Gert

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,927 Posts
If you don't mind saying, how much did the re-powdercoat cost?

All the existing paint/powdercoat has to come off first, right? I would guess that removal of the old coating would drive up the labor cost.

I recently installed Heed crash bars. The paint sucks, it's very soft and scratches easily. Thought about having them properly powdercoated locally, but I'm sure it would exceed the cost of the bars in the first place. I've been touching them up with satin Rustoleum-type paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't mind saying, how much did the re-powdercoat cost?

All the existing paint/powdercoat has to come off first, right? I would guess that removal of the old coating would drive up the labor cost.

I recently installed Heed crash bars. The paint sucks, it's very soft and scratches easily. Thought about having them properly powdercoated locally, but I'm sure it would exceed the cost of the bars in the first place. I've been touching them up with satin Rustoleum-type paint.
$150 cnd. That included the sand blasting to clear off the old paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts