StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped my wee in sand the other day. Scratched up the Hepco-Becker crash bars(Gloss black), broke R hand mirror and R hand guard and bent or torqued the brake pedal which now seems too high. Parts are on order. Question re painting the crash bars. Only the outside of the bars are scratched. Do I need to repaint the whole circumference or can I just paint the scratched part(and not have to remove the crash bars). What is the best procedure for painting the crash bars( ie prep, type of paint, technique). Also, how do I deal with the brake pedal. ---Thanks--Carl

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'd remove the bars, scuff them good with some steel wool (cross-pattern), and spray them with truck bed liner. Durable, easily touched up, and looks the part.

Cheap, easy, done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just lightly sand the damaged area, clean with some rubbing alcohol, put some paper or cardboard between the fairing/engine and the bars and hit it with Krylon from a rattle can--repeat as necessary :mrgreen:. Same for the plastics except I use the (I forgot the name) rattle can paint for plastics.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pull them off, scuff them up and shoot them with Rustoleum hammer tone paint in any color you choose. I've had good luck with that paint on truck bumper and tool boxes. Let the paint dry a full 48 hours befoer you put the bars back on. It's slow to dry.

R

·
0 Posts
When I dropped mine I took it off and repainted with rustolem flat black and now unless I tell you I did you cant tell with out really looking hard. But I did do quit a bit of sanding b4 paint. Remember prep is everything when it comes to painting.

RR

·
Registered
672 Posts
Fusion by Krylor is good plastic paint. As stated preperationis the key. I like the idea of bed linner for the bars. I wish I had done mine with bed linner before installation. O well when th bike flop over will be time enough.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Wear your scars proudly.

·
Registered
15,415 Posts
Wear your scars proudly.

I got a set of used crash bars from the forum. With crash scars. I shoulda paid extra for the patina!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just use one of those small touch up paint bottles that you can find at any auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Clean, sand, rattlecan. Satin black works well. Use a piece of cardboard between the bars and the bike.

Perfect repair. DAMHIK

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Wear your scars proudly.

I got a set of used crash bars from the forum. With crash scars. I shoulda paid extra for the patina!
You could send me that "patina surcharge" and I will happily write a crash narrative which you can recite any time someone axes you about the aforementioned patina.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Best way -- remove them and take them to a powder coating shop.

My way -- touch them up with a black felt tip marker.

Reactions: BlackRockFox

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's the name! Fusion, thanks.

Fusion by Krylor is good plastic paint. As stated preperationis the key. I like the idea of bed linner for the bars. I wish I had done mine with bed linner before installation. O well when th bike flop over will be time enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rustoleum has a hammer finish that would look pretty good, and is supposed to be very durable. I haven't found it in black yet, but there is a really dark brown.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took mine off, filed down the deep gouges, then wet sanded to smooth it back down to "pretty slick" , then rattle-canned it with flat black, to match the original finish.
Now I can't even find where the boo-boos were. :thumbup:

Wearing your rash with pride is ok, but these things start rusting... and that's just tacky... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scratched mine up on a gravel driveway (don't ask.)

Ended up just cleaning with rubbing alcohol, let it dry.

Then cardboard behind and a real light touch up coat with truck bed liner, aerosol.

Looks as good as new, can't even see it.

:thumbup:

I did spray some first onto a piece of cardboard and let it dry to make sure it would be a good match.

·
Administrator
17,228 Posts
You gonna ride or you gonna bitch (choose one).
How dare you give my buddy Norm crap!!! Oh and he is right by the way, crash bars with a bit of a patina have done their job, so ride with pride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts